Maternal & Child Community
Is it ok to pass blood clots and be 6 weeks pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I went to the doctor today and she said as long as i wasn't cramping and i stopped bleeding after 2 to 3 days everything would be fine... but is it normal to pass huge blood clots while pregnant???
Can't tell from the way your sentence goes if you are asking about something that stopped after 2-3 days, or are you experiencing bleeding now?

It is not entirely uncommon to bleed in pregnancy at one point or another.  Clots can come from blood that has seeped slowly into the uterus and gathered there, then clotted, then comes out.  The seeping can come from just one little blood vessel that has opened.  Some bleeding can create clots the size of golf balls without threatening the pregnancy.  Maybe your bleeding is no more than just one small blood vessel that has torn.  

On the other hand, when I miscarried, my basic sign was rushing gushes of blood every time I stood up.  I'd be OK lying down or sitting, but on standing, there would be this cereal-bowl sized amount of blood and clots flooding out.  If you are bleeding like that, call your doctor back and tell her how heavy it is, and ask for further instructions.  

My doctor's office says if you have bleeding in early pregnancy, lie down and stay down (except to eat and go potty) until 24 hours after the bleeding stops, and drink a lot of water.  (Dehydration can cause the uterus to contract, and so can walking.)  Your goal is to calm the uterus and keep it from contractions that cause the bleeding.  This will not stop a real miscarriage, but if you are bleeding for a different reason, it might help.

If you are filling a maxipad or more in an hour or less, call your doctor.  If she pooh poohs the situation, consider going to the ER..
I bleed for a couple days at 5 weeks.  I am now 22 weeks.  Did you have an u/s and see the heartbeat?