Maternal & Child Community
Is it ok to use a pillow for a 7 month old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi everyone!!
I have a 7 month old that is very "attached" to me.  It started real bad when I went back to work part time when he was 5 months old.  He was sleeping fine up until then.  Then it started,..up at 1:00,..3:00,...5:00.  And he would be up for 45 mintues at a time.
Then I did it,....the one thing I said I would never do,...I let him sleep in bed with my husband and me.  Now, that's the only way I get him to sleep the whole night without interuptions.  I don't mind it too much, but my husband does becuase it takes away from "us".  I can see his point sometimes.
The other night he fell asleep in my arms (I know your not suppose to do that, but he has acid reflux since birth and I have to keep him up for at least 30 minutes after a bottle and that just makes him fall asleep)  Well, when I went to put him in his crib one of my pillows was laying in there and I just layed him down on it thinking he'll be up in an hour, no problem.  BOY was I wrong, he slept all night!!  I don't know if it was my scent on it, or the comfort that kept him content in his own crib, but it worked.  So know I found a way to keep him in his crib, but it is dangerous.  But how much more dangerous then him sleeping with us?
He is 7 months old, 21 1/2 pounds 28 inches long.  He's been rolling over since 4 months crawling and pulling himself up since 5 months, very alert and aware.  Does anyone think that because he is alittle advanced it would be less of a risk.
PLEASE HELP!!
Getting up all night and then at 6:30 to go to work is killing me!!!
Is it one of those really thin pillows or a big thick fluffy one?  If it's a really thin pillow (like the ones that have been used for years and years) then I think it would be alright.  Do whatever you have to do in order to get sleep!

If it's your scent that he likes, maybe just try covering him with one of your sweatshirts at night instead of a normal blankie.  

I have bee wondering a similar thing.
My son is 9 months and he sleeps pretty well, he probably sleeps 5 nights a week all night and gets up the other 2.  During the day he goes in his "playpen" to play whilst I am doing housework and he quite often falls asleep in there.  Anyway, there is a cushion in there and he always goes to sleep with his head on it.  So what I did was, I got a really soft blanket and folded it over a few times and put it in his cot where a pillow would normally go and tucked it in so there is no way he can get it out.  He loves it!!!
I am scared to leave the pillow in his crib, so I might try the soft blanket thing.  The drs suggested I put the pillow under the mattress, but I really think it's the "softness" he likes.  After all, I do call him my little cuddle-bug!!  Thanks for the suggestion.
That's a good idea, I had heard about putting them under the matress but putting them under the sheet would give them the softness...great idea might have to try that one
Can you put the pillow under his sheet?  That way he'll still have the softness, smell and elevation (that could help his reflux).  Just a thought:-)
I can't remember when I let our little ones start sleeping with their pillows (I think around 1 year), but what I bought for them are the very small budoir pillows, stuffed with very fine down.  These are decorative pillows, very soft and small.  You can purchase the linens separately.  I got them each at a specialty fine linens store.  Pioneer Linens.  They are about 12 inches by 6 inches, and are extremely soft.  Our girls, who are 7 and 9 years now, still sleep with only them.  I was very concerned about putting anything fluffy near them when they were very young.  Letting your 7 month old sleep with you in your bed will become very habit forming and they learn so quick what they like, but it is not the best for him.  He needs to learn to sleep on his own, and everyone will enjoy that.  I know it is so hard to cope and all mothers get desparate for a good night's sleep.  Think what is best for him, and all involved.  Good luck...
I thought about that last night (we where up until 2:30,..he's cutting a top tooth) and I think I will try that tonight.  I will let everyone know if it worked.  Thanks for the suggestion.