Maternal & Child Community
Is it okay for a newborn to sleep in a separate room?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Everyone's telling me that I have to get a bassinet and keep the baby in our bedroom, but it's a serious space issue. I plan on getting the best baby monitor I can (the ones that sound an alarm if the baby stops breathing).
With me, it was more me being overly paranoid and it's more conveniant having the baby in the same room for when they wake up every 2 hours for a feeding and changing. I wouldn't have to get up, go to another room and get the baby. And when I would wake up to make sure she was breathing, she would just be right there. (I'm a worry wort also, I did that with all 4 kids ;))
But there is no rule out there saying that the baby HAS to be in the same room. There are also video monitors that you can buy so you can see and hear the baby.
Honey, don't worry about having your baby in the next room. I have two daughters and they've both slept in their own rooms, in their own cribs since the day they were born. Newborns make a lot of little noises in the night (grunts, stretching, etc) and having them in their own room with a monitor on will allow you to get some sleep, but be assured that if they do cry, you will be able to hear them.

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for doing this. It's completely healthy and normal.

Point of advice...my kids spit up a lot when they laid flat on their backs in their crib. What I did for the first few weeks is put their baby carrier in the crib and let them sleep in there. This way, the baby is reclined, in a safe position as to not choke on their spit up. They are also not able to roll over or suffocate themselves. It worked wonders!!!

Let me know how things work out for you!! You can email me anytime with questions at ***@****
I agree with cheryl....reclined position is great...my DD loved her swing and her bouncy chair and her car seat....in the early months it worked wonderful...especially since she was all sniffing and grunting...lots of nasal noises that scared me to death...this limited it quite a bit
I totally agree with the above comment! The swing and bouncer are also great for sleeping! My daughter loves her swing!
DEFINETLY!

Both my DS and DD slept in cribs in their own room.

I guess it's ok but I don't plan on it, I can't imagine sleeping well with my newborn in the other room, but then I'm a worry wort and evryone is different
You have to do what you have to do...Don't let anyone make you feel guilty.  Even if you are in the same room SIDS can happen.

My little one was with us for 2 months but we had plenty of space...we had a 21x21 bedroom....no reason for her not to be....if you can't you can't.  I wasn't with my mom and dad as a baby...neither were my siblings or my DH and his siblings...I think it's something new for us new moms to craze about.

You are taking necessary measures to ease your mind...sounds fine to me.
Just one piece of advice...if the baby is in a large, regular size crib...make sure you have her/him swaddled in a receiving blanket so they can't move to much...that is where they run into problems....because believe me a newborn can move
ABSOLUTELY!!

my son was always in his own room.  as a child I never even saw my parents room - it was their sacred space.

If you start them in their own room I think it is good for them! (JMO!)
I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you're comfortable with it. You are not a bad parent because your baby sleeps in a different room. I kept my daughter in my room for 13 mos., but it was as much for me as for her. She wasn't a good sleeper, and liked to nurse a lot in the night. The other bedrooms are all on the other side of the house, so it was not easy for me when I put her in her own room because I had to go across the house to take care of her. She is now 3, and we still use the baby monitor.
To me, a bassinet seems like more of a SIDS risk than sleeping in a crib with no pillows, blankets or bumpers. A bassinet is all padded and cushy all around and bumpers are considered a no-no when it comes to SIDS so go figure?!!

Both my girls were in cribs from day one and I wouldn't have done it any other way. Certainly it's more convenient for mom to have baby right nect to you, particularily when you're nursing but who said motherhood was about convenience?!!

You have to do what's right for you and obviously what's in the best interest of your newborn.  

I just wanted to give you a heads-up though that the monitor that you're thinking about getting can give you a few false alarms so you may have a few panic-stricken nights when the alarm will go off but thank goodness, baby's just fine!

Thanks for the advice.

Speaking of bumpers, I can't believe the things they sell for babies, puffy sheets and bumpers just to fit some nursery theme and very dangerous.
Do what you feel will work out best for YOU and YOUR FAMILY....
Whatever you are comfortable with will be the most effective in your household....Nobody else will be getting up out of your bed and taking care of your child in the middle of the night!

Personally, the bouncer is amazing, lightweight, can be put anywhere (careful on elevated surfaces) and brought anywhere.

I understand your lack of space feeling...sometimes I feel like these walls are crawling in on me!!

I used a bassinet with the first, bouncer with the second...
Good luck!
I am using a cradle in my bedroom just until the baby starts moving around more then I will move him to his own room.  Its not like a bassinet with all the puffy stuff....just a small version of a crib.  Plus his room is at one end of the house and mine is at the other, so it works out better this way for us.  But its up to you.  Dont let other people tell you what to do they are not raising your child.
With my first baby I only had her in my room for a week then she had her own room she woke me everynight at 3am for a feed. I have another baby on the 15th by c section so I will have the baby in my room until I'm more mobile then she will have her own little room if I didnt have c section I would have her in her own room straight away so she doesnt get used to sleeping in mum and dads room. Good luck
If I had a spare room I would put a newborn in there, but because I already have 2 kids sharing one room and my 16 month old sleeping in a portable cot in the loungeroom at night, the only place for my next one will be in the bassinet beside my bed. It does make it easier if you're breastfeeding to pick them up and put them back in (you'll end up doing it in your sleep eventually!), but in terms of space and sanity...do you what you want and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! I've learnt that after having 3 of my own!
I was paranoid at first too and put my son in a bassinet as close to my bed as I could get.... I kept trying to get him to eat at night when he'd make noises...but found out he wasn't even awake...he is just a very noisey (and squirmy) sleeper- still is at 9 yrs. so that lasted all of a week. I moved him to his room  (with a monitor) and we both slept much better :)
Like everyone says, trust you know what's best for your baby. I really believe it's NOT best for the baby to sleep in a separate room, it's convenient for us, but that's it. I believe your baby not only wants to be close to you, but needs that. I swore up and down I wouldn't cosleep, thinking they'd never get out of my bed. But it is my fondest memory now  (even over breastfeeding) of my newborn cuddled w/me, me keeping her warm, her hands on my face, and feeling her breathe as she slept, 6etc. I never once worried about rolling on her and was there as soon as she started waking (avoiding a full on crying spell). She made an easy and excellent transition to the crib at almost 4mos. when I noticed that me and my husband were disturbing her sleep.I wish I could still sleep with her right next to me. Remember baby is in your womb 24h a day until birth, why should they have to 'learn' to sleep alone? It's natural to be close to mom!!! You'll find what's right for you!
I agree that a baby needs to be close to you, but this doesn't necessarily have to be in person. Instead of having the baby sleep in your room, allow the baby to sleep in its own room, but take a towel that you sweat on, a shirt that you sweated in, a blanket that you slept with, etc. ... SOMETHING that smells like you, and put it close to the baby's bed (not in the baby's bed where the baby could roll into it and suffocate, but close enough the baby can smell you). This allows the baby to FEEL close to you, which it needs, and it allows you to have the baby in the other room with the monitor letting you know if the baby needs anything at all.
Don't let anyone convince you what you need to do ... you need to do what works for the two of you. If space is an issue and you feel more comfortable with the baby in the other room, do it!
Best wishes!