Maternal & Child Community
Is it possible HCG levels double every 48 hours then change to 72 hours...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Is it possible HCG levels double every 48 hours then change to 72 hours?

My HCG Levels were about 4000 5 days ago today the fifth day my results are 13500. My numbers were doubling all this time buy now it's changing...... Do you think it's a pending miscarriage? I am currently 6 weeks 5 days. I have had some spotting but no pain or cramps.
Check some of the websites that give the range of normal for hCG.  The level does stop doubling after a while, though I can't remember how soon.  HCG numbers can also rise really fast and then seem to stop rising so fast if you have more than one embryo at the outset and then only one takes off and the other stops.  I would not necessarily assume it is a pending miscarriage just based on the hCG numbers you named.  My IVF clinic almost won't do hCG counts after about 6 weeks because the numbers vary so much (even in the same day) that all they do is freak people out.  Get an ultrasound if you can; it will tell you a lot more at this point.  Good luck!
Thanks for the comment! I have had a u\s they could see the sack and something in it but no heart beat yet. The doctor said it could just be we are too early because my cycle is long I might have ovulated late and the U\s equipment is very low tech its just in his office. I was told by my family to go to the womens imaginmg center or the emergency room because they have higher tech u\s mechines. i take another blood test tomorrow to compare to my last one my doctor says as long as its rising i have a chance.
i thought that after 6 weeks or so (around when the hb starts) hcg levels are no longer a very good indicator of pregnancy viability. my dr only does hcg in weeks 4 and 5. i think as long as they are rising, and if there's something in the sac, you have a good chance. i saw my baby's hb for the first time yesterday at 6 weeks and 2 days. my doctor said that's about the earliest you can see the hb. so at 6 weeks 5 days, i wouldn't worry too much about not seeing it yet.
My HCG  doubled every 4.5 days so i wouldnt worry. the higher the numbers get the longer they take to double.
after 12000 the doubling slows down