Is it possible to be in labor for a week or two?
Okay - this is strange to me.  My Drs may have their 'head' screwed on to tight.

When I went into labor with my daughter...it progressed, rather slowly but progressed over a 24 hr period...with the help of pitocin....I was able to dilate fully after the first 16hrs of standing at 4-5 centimeters....

Anyway, I'm 37 weeks pregnant and lost my mucus plug Saturday (which by the way - wow - it was rather large....let's just say, their is nothing pretty about childbirth)  Since Sunday, I have been having contractions every 5-7 minutes consistantly.

I was at the hospital yesterday for 5 hrs with no progression in dilation, so I asked to go home.  The Dr said, well you are in 'early labor' I'd like you to stay a little longer, she gave me an IV of fluid to see if that would help....it didn't I'm still contracting...every 5-7 minutes.

But nothing else seems to be happening, the Dr said this could go on like this for sometime as my contractions don't really peak at the top number....I was on the NST and I guess to TOCO belt...shows the contractions...and it goes from 0 to 100, well mine averaged 60-75....guess that isn't high enough to dilate?  

I'm just really confused....has anyone heard this before?  How can I technically be 'in early labor' and have it last one or two weeks?  Is this possible....because I'm tired....I just need some sleep.

They can't help it along with pitocin or anything because I'm still to early and I'm fine with that....but can these contractions really stay consistant for another week?
What you have is an irritable uterus. They used to give paragoric (a one time dose of liquid med) that would stop these. Not used as much or even at all anymore.Often a large amount of water helps, but since you had the bolus of IV fluid and no change, probably wouldn't help you. I have seen a one time dose of codeine help with this, or even a shot of terbutaline. You must be so tired. You will know when they change in strength that you will be progressing along. The average #'s on the toco really don't mean anything. It is an external monitor trying to monitor internal events. The only accurate #'s are when an internal monitor is inserted after your membranes have been ruptured. The #'s externally also depend on the area of the stomach that it is placed. Some places pick up greater than others.

The ctx may stop, or they could keep going and progress into labor. I hope you get some relief.
Thank you....that helped clear it up a bit for me.
They are very painful contractions....all in my back too.  I told the Dr I felt like he was going to come out my butt yesterday...
I knew they weren't extremely painful but it's very tiresome.

The Dr at first thought it was just irritability and tried to stop it with the fluids but 'no'....She believes it's early labor, especially with all the mucus I'm still losing...and after what passed through me on Saturday, I can't believe there is more still in there.

Thanks again!
How far are you dilated?
My lamaze book says early labour can last days or in rare cases weeks.  Yikes, who knew.  Try the yoga ball and counter pressure to help with the lower back pain.  

I hope you are able to get some rest.
I'm only 1-2 centimeters dilated...and that has been for a week and a half....through these contractions, nothing changed.
They got to 3 minutes apart yesterday that is why they had me come in.

Plus I'm on heparin and they didn't want me to take another dose just in case.

I'm just really tired more than anything....and get this...the Drs won't write me out of work...fun, huh?
I'm finding a new practice if I ever have another child.

I guess I'm just worried because when I was in heavy active labor with my DD, it took pitocin to dilate me and that's heavy labor....this early labor c**p is going to get on my nerves, if they won't help it along any.

Oh well...at least he was looking good on the monitor yesterday....I just was worried what it could do to the baby if this lasted a week or so.
LOL - leave it to me to be the problem child on this board.
Dr offered to give me ambien....sleep aid....should have taken it.
Oh I am so excited that you are about to have your baby-   when I found this forum back in Feburary you were still so early on and I remember you posting about loss of symptoms and being so worried, I prayed so hard for you, I had just lost one back then, and now here you are about to have that baby boy!!  How exciting!!!!!  I'll keep looking for posts and I hope you just go into to labor soon, or at least get some relief soon until the real thing happens!
Oh Deanne I am so happy for you, your son is almost here.  Sorry I cant help I have no clue what you are going through but I am very excited for you.  Good Luck.  !!!
Wow, I'm sending much strength your way.  The doctor told me this could happen, so as a result I didn't call my mom and have her come half way across the country once I started labor.  I was worried the labor could just basically last a week or two.  Then, my mom missed the birth of my baby.  You just never know how long this is going to go on.  The doctor told me this happens with a lot of first time moms, but I guess you proved 'em wrong.  I also heard that basically a woman who hasn't given birth for eight years or more has a body that reacts like that of a first time mom.      
Yeah - I'm not a first time mom and my DD is only 3 but again...in heavy labor I couldn't dilate without help....if this early stage stuff doesn't help progess my dilation and just lingers longer...it will get even more tiresome especially with a very very active 3 yr old at home.