Is it safe to discard one baby after 18 weeks of twin pregnancy? pregrancy
One of my friend is pregnant for 18 weeks with twins.  She wants to discard one baby. Is there a risk of hurting remaing baby? Please advise
When I did IVF, the RE warned me of the possibility of triplets, and said that if I were to get pregnant with three embryos, he would send me to a specialist for a "reduction."  I never had to face that issue, thank heavens. Anyway, from what he said, I got the impression that if this procedure is done, it's earlier in a pregnancy than the 18 weeks where your friend finds herself, though I don't really remember what he said about timing.  I do clearly remember that the way he described it, it was clearly a pretty delicate procedure, risking uterine contractions that would cause the uterus to empty entirely.  Your friend should address the fact that this would be an abortion and might risk the loss of both babies, and should absolutely talk things over with her doctor.  My RE said that the criteria they use to choose which embryo to remove is whichever one is closest to the cervix.  If one baby has implanted right at the cervix, your friend has a medical reason to be concerned, since a growing baby at that spot would risk early labor.  She should definitely talk to her ob-gyn.
yes the other baby will be at risk, why on earth would she want to do that to one baby and keep the other, she would risk loosing both if this was to be done...