Maternal & Child Community
Is it safe to take Tylenol PM during pregnancy?/OPEN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am having alot of trouble sleeping at night. Does anyone know if it is safe to take Tylenol PM during pregnancy?  I only want to take it occassionaly but I need 1 good nights sleep!! Please help! :)
i asked my OB about tylenol pm.. I have problems sleeping as well.  He told me absolutely not.  

However, he did say I could take Benadryl and that'll help you sleep.  I know there is a poster in this forum who's husband is a pharmacist and she says that he says Benadryl is a no-no, but my OB said it's ok, he even suggested it as an alternative to tylenol pm.  I take it at least 4 days a week (i have really bad allergies and lots of trouble sleeping)

Id call and ask your OB... apparently different docs say different things.
Is tylenol PM for sinus is same as tylenol PM? the reason why im asking is i've been taking it for 2 nights in a row now, i have a bad sinus headache, regular tylenol doesnt help, now im worried. I did IVF on feb.15.. sorry it maybe a stupid question...
Ok for the record...the ingedient in Tylenol PM IS Benadryl aka diphenhydramine.  SO if you have trouble sleeping and do not need to the Tylenol for any type of aches, just take the Benadryl.  It was on my safe list of meds for all my pregancies.  Obviously not every night. It is category B for pregnancy.
i think this is a question for your dr. since we dont know about how your pg is going or your health, it would be wise to get their professional opinion. hope you get some sleep!
The list of safe meds that I got from my OB says that Benadryl is OK to take.  I guess I will take Benadryl-I have bad allergies also! :)
Well i have took it though out this whole thing and my doc said that it would be okay but just as long as i dont take it every nite. but if i was you i would ask ur ob because every one is different and just so you know there is nothing wrong with my baby she is health!!! I took some last nite and i sleep ok but sometimes it doesnt help but alittle.
I was told by my doctor that I was only allowed taking Tylenol but one of my friend has a diff doc and he said only aspirin...Who knows?
Tylenol is the only safe pain relief remedy while you're pregnant, however, the additive in Tylenol PM that causes drowsiness is what you cant have.
It's funny that you post this question today seeing as I'm sick with yet another cold.  My dr told me the last time I was sick that I could take "anything".  I found this strange and in fact didnt take anything at all.  I would feel to guilty.   But it's a good question and sometimes I feel like doing the same thing. Afterall, we should take advantage of any sleep we could get. :-)
My safe list of drugs from the doctor says Sudafed and Tylenol are Okay but does not include Benadryl or Tylenol PM.  However, when I went to Disney World at 12 weeks my doctor said I could take Airbornne.  Of course I didn't.  I haven't taken anything since I found out I was pregnant besides the prenatal vitamin.  Too paranoid!  Of course, I haven't been miserably sick just yet either...
Here's what I was told by my OB and my primary care physician:  safe to take Benadryl 25-50mg no more than two times per week.  Hope this helps!
Thanks for all the info. I will try Benadryl tonight and see if it helps! :)
I was told I could take tylenol PM with my 2 DC, and he came out fine. I was told the same (different OB) with this one. I can also take tylenol w/codeine. Just as long as you don't take either very long. But, I think it may have something to do with how far along you are.
Id say yes, they are the same.  
Tylenol PM is benadryl and tylenol.  If you can take them separatly you can take them together.  My husband is a pharmacist and he say both are okay to take, unfortunalty some pharmacist don't really know if it not a everday question and it is safer to take no meds.   Sudafed as far as i know is safe but not the new replacement for sudafed but hte old formulation that is behind counters.
OHH! thanks .. i dont know yet if im pregnant or not. but im going to take tylenol reg. instead..im 6 days past transfer..thank you..i just have this terrible headaches every single day..
My doctors told me -anything- Tylenol was safe to take and I see the high risk maternal-fetal OBGYN's.  Hope this helps.
Oh thank God. I took tylenol pm twice and was freaking out reading that it was harmful. But now that I know what it is, I feel much better.
My doctor told me that anything tylenol was safe to take.  I am 38 weeks preg and can not sleep and have terrible back pain.  All i have taken the whole time is a TUMS so I am very cautious.  I was so relieved to hear that it was okay.  I had my first great nights sleep in months....I only woke up 3 times! haha
The only right answer in this is to consult your own OB/GYN doctor and explain your symptoms or concerns. The bottom line is every body has a different medical history and or reactions to certain medicines. Although most will tell you what their doctor said, It DOES NOT mean that it will be beneficial or not harmful to you. So please seek professional medical help before you try taking advice from other mothers, simply because your medical history could be different and it can conflict. Hope this help's.
Tylenol can cause serious liver damage. Do some research for your selves please, it is imperative. Read the fine print on the bottle. People in general pop tylenol on a regular basis for every little ache and pain. People have died because their liver was shot after taking tylenol everyday for ONE week, every four hours. I do not know if advil is safe during pregnancy, I would have to check. But as a rule when I am pregnant or not I avoid tylenol as much as possible. Advil is absorbed in the kidneys which can handle a lot more than the liver where Tylenol is absorbed. Please if you are having trouble sleeping just take the Benadryl not Tylenol PM.
Tylenol PM is on my safe for pregnancy med list.  like the other ladies said all it is is tylenol and benadryl in the same pill.  So instead of taking extra tylenol you could always just take the benadryl unless you are also having a head ache of pains.

Someone said something about aspirin instead of tylenol, that is a big NO NO. aspirin changes your blood.  Due to MC's i had to take it for my first 13 weeks but only 13 weeks, i was told no more than that cause it can cause damages.
do some reasearch if u are that worried about tylenol pm.. tylenol is harmful for your body PERIOD! look up and study on tylenol PM and Benadryl... you will learn alot.. dont just listen to what people say or ur doctor says.. yes they are doctors but they can mis lead u as well.. reasearch your medicines.. bc most medicines are harmful to your  bodies anyway.. the only healthy remedy to help with ur problems are herbs anyway! and thats the truth... bc its natural and frm the earth.. u arent pumping chemicals constantly into your bodies.. ppl do ths during there life time for years.. and wonder why they come up with all sorts of aches and problems.. when the real answer is natural medicine and herbs from the earth.. but if you wana quick fix and dont care about the tuns of chemicals u are pumping into your body then be my guest.
Tylenol PM is safe for you during pregnancy as long as you are in your 2nd or 3rd trimester. And not near as harmful for your body as aspirin or advil. Both of those cause liver failure. Tylenol does not. Any pill taken in excess will do harm to your body but tylenol taken as said on the label is not bad for you.
No one needs to be so rude.  This is part of looking it up...getting people's opinions, too. Aspirin is def a big no-no.  Advil and Ibuprofen are also not god.  Of course, it's not great to put chemicals in your body.  But don't think just because it's from the earth that it's okay.  They are A LOT of natural and herbal remedies that are definitely not safe and ESPECIALLY during pregnancy.  I do not wish to take Tylenol Pms everynight, so get off your high horses.  You sound like hippy snobs!  I have been having contractions for 2 days, am due tomorrow, and NEED something to ease the pain a little and help me sleep or I will be trying to give birth on 50-some hours of hardly any sleep.  That is not safe for my body nor for my baby.  i need to be well-rested and will definitely need my strength.
I could not agree more with you. I am 32 weeks and my doctor and pharmacist both said that taking tylenol PM is ok as long as it is not taken for longer than 3-4 days in a row. Everyone is different, every pregnancy is different, and every doctor says different. All the self righteous people on here talking about how we are poisoning ourselves and our babies need to take it down a notch. There is no way for those people to know all of the circumstances or all of the answers to every pregnancy. I was told by my doctor that many herbs and natural supplements were bad for the baby too. So do not preach. The best way to know is by talking to your OB and seeing how they feel about your pregnancy and your situation when taking anything!
So basically all that has been determined is that some OBs say Tylenol PM is ok and some say it's not.  Moral of the story: Ask your doctor instead random people on the internet.
my doctor says ANY tylenol product is safe. when I asked about tylenol pm, they said, "yes"  I should've taken some tonight since it's almost midnight and I'm on the computer!!  I need something to help with this pregnancy induced insomnia!!
Glad I stumbled upon this...

I, for myself, would prefer to do all-natural home remedies for my aches and pains. I believe that SOME of the best ways to help ourselves is naturally. Though, I have done a lot of research on the subject, being 20 weeks pregnant, and have found that the negative side affects on baby by doing those natural remedies far out-weighed those of, say, 1 tylenol when you're having a troublesome night.
I have been having horrible toothaches lately. (doc has already advised me to see a dentist, soon. A tooth infection can be very harmful to baby also). But until I can get there, on nights when my teeth are really bothering me, (gets to the point of sleeplessness, crying in pain, throbbing and aching pain on the whole right side of my mouth) I will take 1 tylenol pm rapid release (bottle says to take 2) and get a good nights sleep.
It does work, though everyone is different. I started out my pregnancy sort of underweight, and never really took any kind of pills, for headaches, fevers, anything. (The toothaches just started recently). Maybe that's why I can only take 1 and it works??
My philosophy still, when in doubt, ask my doctor...

Good Luck to everyone!!
"Women should also consult their doctor or midwife before using herbs. Herbalists insist that pregnant women have been using herbal treatments with success around the world for years, and some herbs are standards among midwives, such as raspberry tea to prevent morning sickness and miscarriage and to strengthen the uterus.

But just because herbs are natural doesn't mean they're safe. Some trigger allergic reactions, others are toxic and some can be harmful in pregnancy, especially those that act as strong laxatives or promote uterine contractions. Among those to avoid: senna, cascara sagrada, buckthorn, mugwort, pennyroyal, juniper, rue, tansy, cottonroot bark, male fern, goldenseal, comfrey, sage in large amounts, coltsfoot, and black cohosh root.

In fact, a new study by researchers at Loma Linda University suggests that some popular herbs -- St. John's wort (used to treat depression), echinacea (used to strengthen the immune system and fight colds) and ginkgo (used to enhance memory) -- could block conception. But the researchers stressed that the test-tube study isn't proof that the same effects will occur in humans."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51639