Maternal & Child Community
Is it too early to take a pregnancy test?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I ovulated on Nov 3rd. And then on the night of Nov 11th I had  three little lines of bright blood when I wiped. I thought this might be implantation bleeding. I have not bleed since. When is the earliest that a pregnancy test would work?
It's always best to take a test the day or anytime after you miss your AF. Some of the tests say that you can test 3 days early, but sometimes you will still get a false neg if you are prego. Wait till your AF is supposed to show and then take the test, if neg, wait a few days and then take another test. If still neg and no AF go to your Dr. and ask for a blood test. Some urine test just don't show positive when a woman is indeed pregnant. I was 2 months prego and the Dr. urine test still said neg. So make sure you ask for a blood test.
With the home prego test, take a first response test and use the first morning urine. Good luck and hope you get the results you want.
Thanks! I guess I have to learn to be patient and I better learn fast. I am hoping to be pregnant.
10 dpo is the earliest for a blood test, and 12 dpo is the earliest for an hpt. Keep in mind that many people do not get a + until 14-16 dpo though. Good luck being patient.
Thanks - it's not one of my strong points. This is my second marriage. When I was divorcing my ex we were sitting with the lawyer and I was basically not agreeing with anything - then he said "She has no patience at all!!" I turned to my lawyer and said "There he got me!"
I just got a VERY faint BFP at 11dpo and three much stronger BFPs at 12dpo (I too am impatient!). GOOD LUCK!!!
CONGRATS!!! I do not understand the abbreviations too well so I went to look BFP up before I said Congrats and looked like a nut. My fingers are itching to take a test. Though I have to be good because I can't just keep taking them and I also can not get my hopes up too high. But more imprtantly right now, I am VERY happy for you!!! I work in a trading department and one of the traders I deal with from another firm just had a baby on Friday (his wife that is). He sent pictures in between our trades today.
I have also heard that first response gives you an earlier result than some other tests so i would suggest you try this one.  with my 1st pg (which ended in m/c in oct 06) i got a very faint result with a 1st response when other pg tests were coming back negative.

As all the posts are used up i wondered if i could barge into ures and ask a little question of my own-hope thats ok as its also about pg tests;  

Has anyone tried Fastest and is it any good?
I just got my BFP at 11 dpo after trying for what seems forever.  If you had implant bleeding you should test positive 3 days after...  GL!
Im Am 17dpo and 4 days late for my cycle.
im on time everytime.
6 hpt said negative, after first electronic hpt read a big bright blue positive.
could i be with child?
Hi. I know that you should be able to find out your result today or tomorrow. I can't wait to hear from you telling me that it's your month. I couldn't post a question so, I had to use this post to check on you.I am doing fine, I did take care of the milk issue. Good luck to you and alot of baby dust to all of you TTC ladies.
Implantation can occur anywhere from 6-12 dpo and it takes hcg approx 48 hours from implantation to rise enough for hpt to detect pregnancy, you can technically test at 8dpo if your implantation occured at 6dpo. I got a very, very faint bfp at 9 dpo on an hpt but I also used opk to test for pg and it was a much darker line at 9dpo. So even though I strained to see the bfp on the hpt, I new I was preggers from the opk.
I have read that the hpt is accurate 17 days after ovulation or 3 days after your missed period. I tested 9 days after I conceived and it was negative but the week after it was positive. Good luck!!
Did you take a digital test?  if you did then the lines mean nothing on those ones.  You just read the "pregnant" or not pregnant read-out.
If you post 3 days after implant bleeding, do you have to test in the morning?
10days after ovulation is best for testing..
Sorry I meant if you "test" three days after implant bleeding, do you have to test in the morning? Please excuse me - I am at work and they are driving me nuts!!
I took a hpt 6 days before my af was due and got a postive.  I guess it all depends when you ovulated and each woman is different.
Did you take it during the day? I go home for lunch and I'd love to try; though I feel like I should wait for the morning.
I came across this place searching for answers and thought maybe someone here could help me out.

I was supposed to start on the 12th of November and i've yet to start yet. I've taken 3 home pregnancy tests and even went to my OBGYN and got a blood test taken and all of them have came back negative. I'm not about 17 days late...am I taking these tests too soon?

Someone help!
i WAS JUST WONDERiNG  td0213    IF YOUR PRENANT OR NOT CAUSE i SEEM TO BE iN THE BOAT AS YOU!!
hey every i have a BIG question! i have taken 3 home test my frist one was the EPT and the last 2 were the First resp.! But all them came out Neg. But i have all the symptoms of being preg.~*~ But i start to spot. So i went to the Doctor and he said when i am done spotting to come in for the blood test, and he examed my tummy and he said he felt i was very tender, but that can't prove anything, so i just have to take the blood test... But my question is how early is to early for Blood test? cause i heard of a lady that took one still came out neg but a few weeks later found out it was positive...bacause i am just really wanting to know one way or the other, so i dont get sent on this emotional rollar caoster...one saying one and a month later oh yeah u are.. help if u can anyone.
Hi!  Though I've had two miscarriages this past year, I have always been able to get a positive sign on a pregnancy test 9-10 days past ovulation.  Now granted the line was faint at first, but I also had some cramping and my breasts were tender.  I also took about 12 pregnancy tests both times just waiting for the line to get darker.  For me it has been really easy to tell when I've been pregnant.  Good luck to you!
My husband and I had conceeded that I probably wasn't going to get pregnant anytime soon, then, right before we took a trip to California to visit my parents, I noticed I was late-which was nothing new for me, my period decided to change time of month all the time...so I just forgot about it. 7 or 8 days later, on the way back (after noticing a sudden large increase in the size of my belly-which I chalked-up to mama's good cookin'), I noticed that my breasts were SO tender and sore, I figured I was going to start my cycle anytime...(by the way, my husband drives a low-rider, for those of you who know how bouncy they can be...)lol I had been late so many times before that I didn't want to waste a perfectly good pregnancy test-AGAIN... but curiousity got the better of me...so (LOL) we bought two of them at the dollar store...and to be honest, I tested first at the bathroom in a burgerville, cause I couldn't wait... (it's really hard to to a test w/nothing to catch urine in but the lil suction thingy that comes with it. LOL I got a very faint positive and figured I prolly messed it up... when I got home, I took another one, it was a definite positive right away...I'm wondering if I may be further along than the doc thinks I am cause my last period was very short and very light which NEVER happens with me... I guess we'll find out!!! Wishing you & yours The best, LittleLady1980 @ 32 wks.
I had spotting a week ago (23rd December), had last AF on 4th December. Did OPK two days ago and positive, did HPT today and dwas very very very faint. Feel bloated and crampy. AF due tomorrow. COuld I be pg do you think. Scared to test again and gethopes up. HELP PLZ xxxxxx
my last period was on August 21st and finished on August 27 Just after me and my husband decided to try to get pregnant. So I had an app. with my doctor to have the copper IUD removed on August 29.  Do you think my chances of getting pregnant right away are good? I just want to know the earliest I can test my next period should be September 19 my cycle is 28 days
pretty much the earliest a hpt can detect is 4 days before you period is due. (says 5 days, but they count the day missed) even at that it may bot show up yet. yes it would be too early. dont waste your money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you may even be around the time of ovualtion this week.
hi there i wanted to share my story with you i have had 4 miscarriages all in a row and a hsg test detected nothing wrong (after the 3rd m/c) i usually get a positive pregnancy test anywhere from 9-11 dpo faint like but deffo there i am 10 dpo today and its been a month scince my last m/c and i took a clearblue +/- and got a very positive pregnancy test and then i took a digital and it says pregnant i went to my doctors this morning and he says my levels are 78 is it possible for there to be left over hormone my doctor wants me to come back in 24 hrs to see if there going up or down