Maternal & Child Community
Is it two fetal heartbeats or is it the same one?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello all - I am going to apologize beforehand for making this post so long. I am 14 weeks 3 days pregnant today and want some insight/help.I started to feel movement at around 7 to 8 weeks, always on my left side.  I felt flutters at around 10 weeks. At 11 weeks I had my first u/s which showed the baby with a hb of 150. The tech put the transducer(? is that the right word?) on my right and immediately found the baby. 30 seconds later she was done but she never moved the transducer around my belly.

This week when I went in for my regular check up the first thing the midwife noticed was how high my uterus was and then she measured it and it was just a little big for pregnancy stage. She checked for a heartbeat with a doppler towards the left of my belly and the hb was only 120. She said it was normal but very low. I mentioned that the tech had found the baby on my right side at my u/s and when she moved over to the right there was a very strong hb of 160, she took it as the same baby with the two diffrent hb's.

After all that this is my question. Can a doppler pick up a low hb rate because it is not that close to the baby, the 120 in this case? Can a hb jump from 120 to 160 in that short time span?  Is that normal and possible or did we in fact hear two heartbeats? I know for sure the 120 was a heartbeat because she stayed in the same spot checking for irregularties since she found the hb rate low.

I am 38 yrs old and conceived naturally, no fertility drugs, not planned. My symptoms have been pretty bad considering that I had no symptoms at all with my first. Of course I was much younger then, my son is now 13 yrs old. In addition I have had several dreams of twins, so now I just want to know am or am I not pregnant with twins. I will know for sure sometime in January as the midwife told me she would check for twins at my next appointment because of the large uterus. But that just seems too far away. Help :)
Twins are a possibility, but I know that sometimes the blood pulsating through the umbilical cord can be mistaken for the heartbeat, so maybe that is what the OB heard the first time? This is only a guess on my part,  but it would make sense since it was lower than the actual heart rate. Good luck and keep us posted after your next ultrasound.