Maternal & Child Community
Is my HCG Level okay?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Is my HCG Level okay?

Hi, I'm new to this site and have read so much of what you all have written...thank you for all your sharing & insight!  I have had 3 miscarriages and am currently 11.5 weeks pregnant.  Everything looks good so far as I've had 3 ultrasounds and have seen heartbeats and the growth looks good.  I'm just a little worried about my HCG level...as of last Friday 1/20, it was 98000.  Is that normal for this time in my pregnancy?  I'm having my levels checked again this Friday 1/27 to make sure they're not dropping (so nervous).  And have an u/s scheduled for 15 weeks.  Also, could someone tell me what all the abbreviations you use mean?  What does dh mean, etc.?  Thanks so much for your time in reading and hopefully helping with my question!!
I go on another site and someone had posted this today, so I'll put it in for you.

* At 14 DPO, the average HCG level is 48 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-119 mIU/ml.
* At 15 DPO, the average HCG level is 59 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-147 mIU/ml.
* At 16 DPO, the average HCG level is 95 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 33-223 mIU/ml.
* At 17 DPO, the average HCG level is 132 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-429 mIU/ml.
* At 18 DPO, the average HCG level is 292 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 70-758 mIU/ml.
* At 19 DPO, the average HCG level is 303 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 111-514 mIU/ml.
* At 20 DPO, the average HCG level is 522 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 135-1690 mIU/ml.
* At 21 DPO, the average HCG level is 1061 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 324-4130 mIU/ml.
* At 22 DPO, the average HCG level is 1287 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 185-3279 mIU/ml.
* At 23 DPO, the average HCG level is 2034 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 506-4660 mIU/ml.
* At 24 DPO, the average HCG level is 2637 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 540-10,000 mIU/ml.

DH-means husband
AF- means period
Thanks so much for your responses.  I've been told the levels drop or level off at this point.  Still nervous, can't help it though I'm trying to keep my mind busy!  The range goes from about 25000-277000 at this point so I'm at the low end of the middle...keeping my fingers crossed and yes, trying not to worry and to get to the 2nd trimester w/o incident!  : )  Thanks again for the reassurance.
My goodness, yes, that is alot of ultrasounds to be in your first trimester still.  Typically, they might do one at 6-8 weeks to see the heartbeat, but other than that, they wait until you're further along.  Are you a high risk case or have you requested them yourself?
My doc doesnt do HGC levels after 8 weeks because he said they start to level off and then drop.  After 4 months or so, you may not have any HGC left at all and could test neg on an ept.
Hi! I am new to this site.  I am currently 7weeks along but I went to the doctor today and said that he saw no sac in my uterus.  I have had 4 miscarriages and was excited about this one since I have had no bleeding or nothing.  My HCG level was only 346 and my doc said they where way to low.  I took clomid back in Dec. and I never have a regular period.  They usually  come on with meds and I never know when I ovulate.  So I guess my question is did I maybe ovulate later than the normal 14days after your cycle?  I am just wondering because I've taken 9 pregnacy test and there all +. The recent 2 yesterday.  My levels will be rechecked next week.  I pray that the u/s was wrong.  Thanks for listening.
Ah, I see now why you are nervous.  There is nothing you can do to prevent a m/c regardless of your hcg levels.  But, statistically, after 12 weeks your chances of m/c are 10%.  The best thing you can do is stay busy and keep your mind off of it, hard to do, but the time will fly faster.  Good luck and have a healthy 6 more months.
If you have had good ultrasounds and everything looks good, don't worry about the HcG.  Doctor's say it is not a good indication of whether the pregnancy is going ok or not.  I know, you're in that stage before 12 weeks where you're worried about everything, but try to take your mind off of it, it sounds like the baby's doing fine.  I had the same questions before 12 weeks and I'm almost 19 weeks now.  It's best to keep busy and don't pay attention to hcg levels, they are different for all women.  Have a healthy 6 more months!
Your HCG drops off at this point anyway...  At or around 12 weeks is when the placenta begins to manufacture the hormones needed to stay pregnant.  from the second trimester on they will remain stable.  Good Luck!! Have a great rest of your pregnancy...
Good question, I guess I didn't say that I have had 3 miscarriages and am considered high risk.  I was also fortunate enough to obtain short term disability away from work.  Under the care of my specialist it was great b/c he had his own u/s machine in his office where I could see the heart beat each time I visited the office.  Now I'm scheduled to have my next one at 15 weeks.
It is very common to have twins and one not make it.  Having multiples is always dangerous because of that risk.  It is odd that you've had several u/s and all look good except for the last.  I would ask for another u/s before you do anything like a D&C.  Alot of women bleed early in their pregnancy for absolutely no reason.  Also, lots of women bleed after vaginal ultrasounds too, and you've had several so that might be a possibility.  I'd get another opinion, I wouldn't assume you've had a m/c just yet until someone looks again.  Also, if you did m/c, you would still have the hcg in your body which would make the tests turn positive still, it will take a while for your hormones to return to normal levels after a m/c, but don't assume you have yet.  I'd seek another u/s to make sure.  I wish you the best.
hey guys, i'm sorry about the bad spelling it's late were i'm at and i can't sleep. I also wanted to know is it possible to have twins and m/c only one? A friend of mine said it could happen, my dh has twin sis. So my 2 sil are twins.
Hello, i'm new to this but i just need to ask a ?. I'm in my 2nd prg. and i started bleading friday the 12th. I went to the er and they did and u/s and said the baby looked good, strong heartbeat. they took my HCG but i don't know the numbers. I still was bleading so i saw my doc on the tursday after and he did a pelvic and took some more blood for my HCG's and told me that everything looked good, the cervix was closed and had a good color to it. he also told me to come back one monday. went back past monday the doc, (diff from the er one and the one on Thursday) he said my HGC numbers were good, he did a pelivic and found tissue at the cervix. he told me that i had a m/c but took some more blood for the HGC's and told me to come back in a week. It's almost been 2 week since the bleeding started, no cramps, maybe i go though a pad every 5 hours or so, and not only 4 days before my last doc appt, i was "good to go". Does this sound odd to any one? does it seem likly that this could happen, i mean, have two docs say it "ok" and one say "m/c"? with in days of eachother? and If he felt i did m/c, shoudn't he me concern? like not making wate a week before even telling me if i m/c or not?. i don't know, my perg was fine, got sick, ate everything i saw and had a healty baby boy so this is all new to me. sorry so long, just had to my ? on out there.

Thanks guys
Angie
I JUST HAD SOME HCG TEST DONE AND ONE WAS AT 5,929 AND THEN IT WENT DOWN TO ABOUT 1,442.IM SCARED I MITE BE MISSCARRING I AM ABOUT 6-8WKS PREGO.CAN ANYONE HELP AND PLUS IVE BEEN BLEEDING LIKE IM ON MY PERIOD.
Sorry, I'm new to this forum and to preganancy. What does DPO mean? If I am 5 weeks, what DPO am I? Thanks! I was reading chichi's info.
If you as a man have hcg in your system how long does it show up positive in your system.
I'm curious - My supposed LMP was 1/02(although it was light). When I went to the OBG on 2/09 they drew my blood for HCG levels which I just found out were 18,218 - I was told I was VERY pregnant but not much else. My next appt isn't for another two weeks & I'm dying of curiosity. Could I have my dates wrong? My LMP prior was on 12/7 & I am very regular (26 day cycle)- but even going by that LMP it seems like my HCG is still high. Could I possibly be carrying twins? There is a history on my mom's side of the family (from her Grandmother) and my husband is an identical twin (although I hear that it's not proven that has anything to do with having twins yourself). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to seem silly mentioning my thoughts to my friends & family. Also, I am the proud mother of a one year old & didn't show with her until about the fourth month. I'm already showing with this pregnancy. Thanks for any input. =0)
Wondering if anyone has ever heard of a urine test coming up positive with only a HCG level of 1!!  I've written under other topics but see that this one has attracted the same type of discussion.  If there's anyone out there that can relate, please feel free to offer some comfort for a worried first timer!!
I am 19 years old and have been with my boyfriend for 4 years and living together for 2 i 8 days ago i had extremely horrible abdominal pain to the point where i went to the ER without health insurance.  The doctor came back and told me my pregnancy test came back positive.  My boyfriend has a 4 year old little girl from a previous relationship and we werent trying to get pregnant but nevertheless excited the doctor told me that he thought there might be something wrong though he said the pain was probably from the urinary tract infection that i had as well which was common. He said that there was a chance that it was a tubal pregnancy because my HCG level was low at the time it was 560 so he told me within 24 to 48 hours to go to a OB/GYN.  To get to the point it ended up that my levels droped in 3 days to 360 and the doctor wants to see me again on monday to do an ultrasound but said i was most likely miscarrying.  The question i have is that i looked at a chart and if it was correct with the level that i was at it looked like i was 5 weeks along however they did an internal and external ultrasound and couldnt see anything and the doctor told me in the er that he thought i was only a week or two along.  Is there any chance that it is okay for the levels to drop and everything be okay? i am so upset and i dont understand why i would miscarry i am a healthy person and i am kindof blaming myself that maybe i could have done something to prevent this and im driving myself crazy because i have to wait for another 5 days to know anything else.  i do have a little blood when i go to the bathroom but the er doc told me that was common.  Anyone have any common experience to this please let me know if there is still a chance.
I just recently got pregnant through insemination and found out I was pregnant on 3/13 (4 weeks pregnant) at that time my hCG level was 49 and when I went back today to get my 3 day bloodwork done - my level dropped in the 20's - my doctor told me to stop my suppositories because I will miscarry...is there a chance my levels could still go up? I was suppose to go back on Sunday for another blood test - but instead just going back to discuss what's next?? Your thoughts...this is my first and is very new to me. Thanks!
Hi ladies, I know exactly what day i conceived on it was 3/4/06, and my last af was on 2/21/06... when i went to the er on 3/24 for cramping and bleeding my miu levels were 227 is that normal can i still have a successful it is now sunday and i took another home pg test and it still has a positive result and my boobs are still sore and the bleeding really is just pink spotting and its only when i wipe. Please tell me if you think i can still have a successful pregnancy.. If i was miscarrying how long would it take after the cramping...its been since friday and like i said i still have a  positive prenancy test... Please pray for me and my unborn child

Thanks so much to all of you

***@****
Hi Everyone.
I am new to this site. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the last year and I just found out that I am pregnant yesterday. I went to the doctors yesterday complaining of pressure in my pelvic area. They did an ultra sound and didn't see anything. I did a blood test and he said my beta level is at 128. I am supposed do another blood test to make sure they double. Does anyone know what that means? Or how far along I am...my doctor isn't really detailed with me. Anything would help thanks.