MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
Is my HCG Level okay?
by prego32, Jan 25, 2006
Hi, I'm new to this site and have read so much of what you all have written...thank you for all your sharing & insight!  I have had 3 miscarriages and am currently 11.5 weeks pregnant.  Everything looks good so far as I've had 3 ultrasounds and have seen heartbeats and the growth looks good.  I'm just a little worried about my HCG level...as of last Friday 1/20, it was 98000.  Is that normal for this time in my pregnancy?  I'm having my levels checked again this Friday 1/27 to make sure they're not dropping (so nervous).  And have an u/s scheduled for 15 weeks.  Also, could someone tell me what all the abbreviations you use mean?  What does dh mean, etc.?  Thanks so much for your time in reading and hopefully helping with my question!!
Member Comments (21)
by chichi7374, Jan 25, 2006
I go on another site and someone had posted this today, so I'll put it in for you.

* At 14 DPO, the average HCG level is 48 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-119 mIU/ml.
* At 15 DPO, the average HCG level is 59 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-147 mIU/ml.
* At 16 DPO, the average HCG level is 95 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 33-223 mIU/ml.
* At 17 DPO, the average HCG level is 132 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-429 mIU/ml.
* At 18 DPO, the average HCG level is 292 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 70-758 mIU/ml.
* At 19 DPO, the average HCG level is 303 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 111-514 mIU/ml.
* At 20 DPO, the average HCG level is 522 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 135-1690 mIU/ml.
* At 21 DPO, the average HCG level is 1061 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 324-4130 mIU/ml.
* At 22 DPO, the average HCG level is 1287 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 185-3279 mIU/ml.
* At 23 DPO, the average HCG level is 2034 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 506-4660 mIU/ml.
* At 24 DPO, the average HCG level is 2637 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 540-10,000 mIU/ml.

DH-means husband
AF- means period
by prego32, Jan 25, 2006
Thanks so much for your responses.  I've been told the levels drop or level off at this point.  Still nervous, can't help it though I'm trying to keep my mind busy!  The range goes from about 25000-277000 at this point so I'm at the low end of the middle...keeping my fingers crossed and yes, trying not to worry and to get to the 2nd trimester w/o incident!  : )  Thanks again for the reassurance.
by ateague, Jan 25, 2006
My goodness, yes, that is alot of ultrasounds to be in your first trimester still.  Typically, they might do one at 6-8 weeks to see the heartbeat, but other than that, they wait until you're further along.  Are you a high risk case or have you requested them yourself?
by skn331, Jan 25, 2006
My doc doesnt do HGC levels after 8 weeks because he said they start to level off and then drop.  After 4 months or so, you may not have any HGC left at all and could test neg on an ept.
by prego32, Jan 25, 2006
Good question, I guess I didn't say that I have had 3 miscarriages and am considered high risk.  I was also fortunate enough to obtain short term disability away from work.  Under the care of my specialist it was great b/c he had his own u/s machine in his office where I could see the heart beat each time I visited the office.  Now I'm scheduled to have my next one at 15 weeks.
by ateague, Jan 25, 2006
Ah, I see now why you are nervous.  There is nothing you can do to prevent a m/c regardless of your hcg levels.  But, statistically, after 12 weeks your chances of m/c are 10%.  The best thing you can do is stay busy and keep your mind off of it, hard to do, but the time will fly faster.  Good luck and have a healthy 6 more months.
by ateague, Jan 25, 2006
If you have had good ultrasounds and everything looks good, don't worry about the HcG.  Doctor's say it is not a good indication of whether the pregnancy is going ok or not.  I know, you're in that stage before 12 weeks where you're worried about everything, but try to take your mind off of it, it sounds like the baby's doing fine.  I had the same questions before 12 weeks and I'm almost 19 weeks now.  It's best to keep busy and don't pay attention to hcg levels, they are different for all women.  Have a healthy 6 more months!
by baby4Staci, Jan 25, 2006
Your HCG drops off at this point anyway...  At or around 12 weeks is when the placenta begins to manufacture the hormones needed to stay pregnant.  from the second trimester on they will remain stable.  Good Luck!! Have a great rest of your pregnancy...