Maternal & Child Community
Is the cervix open or closed during pregnancy?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is the cervix open or closed during pregnancy?

Okay, i had a positive test!!!!! today I checked my self, and my cervix is more open. IS this because I have already had a baby?
Or is this a really bad sign???? I have had a bit of cramping, but no blood.....I have called the doctor, and made an appointment. Any suggestions are very welcome!
Related Discussions
20 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
127124_tn?1326739035
The cervix is closed during pregnancy.
Blank
How do you check your cervix????
Blank
So, it is not a good sign then.
Blank
123128_tn?1189759427
i dont think you can check your cervix by yourself
Blank
Oh. Well the reason I am trying is I have had 2 miscarriages in the past. I have been cramping alot. Nothing that has sent me rushing to the ER though. I am just really worried, is it possible that the cramps are mental? Like my mind is magnifying the cramps? B/C I have read that cramping is a symptom.
Blank
108334_tn?1253647995
After you have a baby your cervix is a LITTLE more open than before you have children. But if your cervix is more open than it was, say yesterday, I would call your dr. Cramping in early pregnancy is normal and a sign of miscarriage. But if you are having a miscarriage, the cramps would be bad. If there is no bleeding, that is also a good sign. Congrats on the BFP! Good Luck!
Blank
131073_tn?1252454452
Cramping is also associated with early pg. AF like cramps are completely normal. I had them pretty bad actually through maybe week 9 or so. I am 11w now and still get mild cramping from time to time. Stretching too, like if I stand too quickly. I don't know how safe it is for you to be checking your own cervix, especially right now that you are pg. Human hands are one of the dirtiest things in the world, and all you need is an infection right now. If you are concerned, please call you doc. Hold off on the self examinations for the time being.
Blank
Well, I don't believe it is more open that yesterday, I am starting to believe it is softer than yesterday though. Is that even possible? The cramps are a little like AF cramps...No blood, just alot of thick eggwhite CM. (Sorry if TMI)
Blank
108334_tn?1253647995
When you are pregnant, your cervix stays high and soft. Have you been checking it regularly, or did you just start?
Blank
okay - friday isn't so far off - i know it probably seems like forever right now to you though. i'm sure everything will be okay. just try to take it easy and not worry too much. and like others said try not to check your cervix - i don't know much about checking it, but it's probably a good idea to leave everything alone till your drs. appt. again, the cramping is normal and nothing really to worry about unless sudden bleeding (and even then may be ok). good luck and keep me posted.
Blank
Should the cramping be isolated to my left side?????
Blank
142722_tn?1281537216
I with Mary, how do you check to see if it is soft or hard what is the heck is it suppose to feel like.  I thought the doctor had to do that
Blank
136073_tn?1194562636
I have no idea how you do that, but I advice you to stop. You could only cause some problems, so if you are concerned about something, call your doctor!
Blank
When I check my cervix I just touch the tip, which I can barely reach. It's really not that hard to do, but I know I am exposing myself to infections, and scrapes. ( I usually use a latex glove when I do )
Blank
glad you got the BFP - good luck and wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months. cramping in pregnancy is normal, but you're saying more on the left side this could be either that's the side implanted so maybe more crampy or maybe you have a cyst or something in your left ovary - which is also nothing to worry about - your dr. just has to monitor it. try not to worry too much. when's your dr. appt.? maybe your dr. can see you earlier if you're nervous.
Blank
141601_tn?1264732309
i have a questions how do you check your cervix yourself to see if it is closed or not? I didn't think you could do that on your own and someone else had to do it.
Blank
Congratulations! You know you are pregnant so I wouldn't be checking your cervix. It is very sensitive and you may make it bleed and then you won't know why you are bleeding.
Blank
My appointment is on friday, no way of rushing, (Already Tried) I was told if it gets worse or bleeding occurs go to the ER ASAP. So, I am stuck waiting.
Blank
As you have had a positive test your more than likely pregnant, period like cramping is normal, lay off the cervix, leave it all alone and play the waiting game, I know its hard but the last thing you want is an infection, the cervix is very sensitive in early pregnancy, it easily bleeds and contracts infection.
congratulations on the positive test
  hugs
Blank
There is no harm in checking your cervix. It is perfectly normal and healthy to be in tune with your body. A lot of people conceive through checking their cervical mucus. Don't ever let anyone make you feel "dirty" for checking yourself! Just make sure your hands are clean when you do it.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...