Is there a flu going around?
My son (3) had runny eyes and lowered energy over the weekend, then popped with a fever and vomited about seven times Monday night.  Tuesday he seemed fine, then yesterday (Wednesday) he had no appetite and last night he had a fever again.  I can't imagine what it is.  He seemed downright well on Tuesday.  If he had not had an H1N1 shot, I would suspect it, since apparently H1H1 can have that double-peaking thing with an apparent recovery in the middle.  The fevers were really hot, but when they were done they were entirely gone and he was acting normal and happy.  What in the world could this be?  Is there some kind of virus going around?  He is just started in preschool so is now around a lot of other kids.
I know that preschool is the notorious breeding ground of the "mystery bug" including the "mystery flu"...my nephew gets these kinds of things ALL the time...at least several times a month since he started preschool. It's probably just a bug he caught and you did the right thing...as long as he wasn't getting RAGING high fevers and unable to keep things down all you can really do is wait it out, hydrate, and give him tylenol to control the symptoms that go along with the fever. You could always ask his preschool teachers if they're aware of some sort of bug and maybe tell them to alert parents to have a discussion with the kiddos about sharing drinks/food and washing hands...but otherwise it's just one of those unfortunate side effects of preschool. Is he feeling better now? Hope so...good luck momma!
mm on a side note I do know that mono can have the symptoms you described, including the "double peak" of symptoms with an apparent recovery in the middle. I know that mono was in one of our local preschools for awhile before they finally nailed it down and were able to isolate it...you might want to run a check of his symptoms against mono symptoms and see if his ped thinks it's worth doing a swab to check for because I know if it's not treated it can turn into a chronic form which is NO FUN.
Hope your little guy feels better soon.  My ds just got over something and now his sister and my dh have it.  
Thanks for the help, ladies.  I had already called the preschool when notifying them not to expect him in the day after he first had a fever, and asked if there was something going around the group, but nobody called me back.  Thanks to your advice, I looked up mono, and there are some differences that seem definitive.  (Except when he had the hottest part of the fever, he wasn't all that tired [they describe someone with mono being simply wiped out with tiredness], and he never had a sore throat.)  But reading the descriptions was helpful in that it at least did give me the sense that his pediatrician will listen without rolling her eyes, if I call her.  I'll check in with her if he gets another fever.
A nurse told me today that there is a stomach virus going around.  Maybe that's it.
Coud be, Carson had to leave school a few weeks ago as he began throwing up- he made it out of music class in time, poor kid!  I know our peds nurse has always told me if hte fever leaves & comes back, they need to be seen as there may be something going on.  My kids were always problem children when they got sick, so they pretty much make me bring them in anytime I have to call.  Hope your little one feels better soon, not a fun way to spend early summer.
Thanks, Crritter.  That advice about what to do if a fever goes away but then comes back is new to me.  I'll remember it.