Maternal & Child Community
Is this a contraction? and what is this vibrating feeling?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi, I am 33 weeks and I have been having BH contractions ( I think) since about week 20.  When I have one my belly kind of tightens and it is harder to breathe for about 10-20 seconds then it stops, but most of the time only from my belly button up gets hard.  Doc. has been checking me for dialation because I have alot of pressure and I am not dialed as of last Tue. Sat. I walked alot shopping and I had 2 kind of painfull contractions, but after I rested I didn't have anymore, but since then when I have the " BH" they are more intence.  It is not painfull but it does stop me in my tracks and I have to breathe slowly.  Do you think this could be a contraction?  Also the past few days I keep getting a vibrating feeling down there.  I guess it is my cervex and it is like a pulsing vibration it will hapen for a few second s then stop and then start again.  Has anyone had this?  Thanks for the help!
You know, I had the same feeling this weekend. Although, I'm not sure if its braxton hicks. I really cant tell the differencs.  When I have braxton hicks my uterus gets tight but it doesnt hurt. If I get them while walking, I'll feel like a pulling sensation in my uterus.  
This weekend, I was running around (i had my babyshower) and I kept feeling my stomach muscles getting tight (not my uterus) and that was making it hard to breath.  I kept feeling them every 10 minutes or so.  But they went away. But they are two different feelings.  SOrry I know i"m not of much help.  I'm 35 weeks now.
How exactly do you know if it is your utrus tightning or your tummy muscles or if it is just the baby balling up?  Where is your utrus at this point?  I know it starts out low and gets higher and bigger.  Could it be BH if only from my belly button up gets hard?  Also, forgot to say in original post, my lower back is killing me today  anyone know how to get some pressure off of my back?
I had posted the same vibration feeling on another forum I'm on. I can best describe it as a constant buzzing feeling way down low. I had it in the early 30 weeks too. It would come and go throughout the days. Sometimes it would last hours with only a couple minutes break. I think it stopped by 34 weeks. I never did find out what caused it though.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone feeling weird :-)   DH thought I was on crack. I never had that sensation with the my other 2 kids.
I am so glad that someone else has had this.  At first I thought I was crazy when I felt it, but I know it is real.  I keep wonderin if it is dialation or something.  Did you ask your Dr. about it.  I will ask when I go back next week.
I have experienced the braxton hicks mostly above the belly button (I'm carrying HIGH are you?).  My dr said since the baby is head down, all she/he needs to do is stretch and she can cause a contraction.  By 33 weeks your uterus is almost at it's highest point. A few fingers below your sternum.  

The difference I feel between what i think is a braxton hicks and the stomach muscle thing is, that with the stomach muscle pain, I feel like I jsut did 100 sit ups.  It feels sore and it's hard to breath.  Also, my tummy gets so hard (the whole upper part of my tummy, not just where she is) and tight.

I can tell it's my uterus when I put my had on my belly (the belly is soft but the uterus is turning into a ball) and I can feel the uterus tighten around her.  And she it turns into a ball so it's not my whole tummy that is tight.

Not sure if that makes any sense but, that's what I feel.  I'm going to mention it to my dr this week.  When my stomach muscle tightens, I feel like I need to sit down and rest because it's so tight.
Real contractions start out like mild AF cramps.  They increase in intensity and amount.  BH can be uncomfortable but not really painful.  When I got my first contraction, I wondered if that is what it was.  Within a couple of hours I knew I was in labor.  You will know the difference between what you are feeling now and labor contractions.  Congrats on your pregnancies ladies.  Blessings.
That is kind of how my little contractions are.  It is above my belly botton and I never can tell if it is the baby balling up because I can feel a ball where my tummy is tight.  Thanks for explaining it to me.  
No, I never did mention it to my OB. I just figured it's one of those things they can't explain. Kinda like they don't know what causes the sharp cervical pains we get.  

Freaking OB's need to be pg themselves in order to understand what we go thru!!
Hi i'm 34 weeks tomorrow and have the same as you, my braxton hicks contractions only feel tight above my belly button as if someone has stretched an elastic band and it feels tight and crampy.  Ive never had that feeling below my belly button its always been above.  Over the last few days i have been getting a few twinges now and again below my belly button but no tightening.

I do get the vibrating feeling and i cannot figure out what it is, i posted about it a while back.   I do get sharp pains, as though the baby is pressing on my cervix sometimes and a bit of pressure too.  I remember from your other post that you said your baby was sitting very low and i posted back saying i felt like mine was too.  Keep us updated :)
My contractions with my first baby felt like very mild menstrual cramps. Then they began to last longer, and get stronger with every one. Usually BH contractions will let up if you sit down or rest. In fact, I was having contractions a week ago (im 38 weeks) and they got closer and harder, and I was on my way to the hospital and I was half way there, and they just stopped. Talk about a bummer... But what im saying is, you cant always tell. They can sometimes be regular and sometimes they cant, you just never know. But they tell me to wait 2 hours and time them. When they get to 5 minutes apart and last 30 to 45 seconds then you should go to the hospital and let them put you on the monitor... Best of Luck!
I'm 36 weeks and have BHs ALL the time. The further along I get, the more intense they get, I think because the uterus has gotten bigger. My BHs can be anywhere on my stomach, and it's not always uniform- it's so strong, I can visually see where the uterus is bunching up. My OB said this was normal. As for the vibration thing, I felt that for the first time tonight to the left of my belly button, but not up under my ribs. I have had other times where I've felt like I've had a muscle cramp in my intercostal muscle beneath my left breast, too. It's crazy all the strange sensations we feel! I'm sure it will be nothing close to the craziness of labor though!