Maternal & Child Community
Is this my first period after D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Is this my first period after D

I went to the ER on Oct 17 for spotting, I was 13 weeks pg but the baby was measuring 10 weeks. They could not find a heartbeat. I went for a 2nd opinion on 10/24, same result so I had a D&E on 10/25. I had little to no spotting for about 6 days post D&E. So on Sat 11/5, I had a lot of bleeding, I thought I got my period. I called the OB office to make sure & the doctor on call called me back to confirm that it sounded like my period but she still wanted to see. I had an appointment yesterday (11/8). So, my husband & I got all excited that it was my period & that we would be able to start trying again soon.  I go to the doctors yesterday & the guy totally crushed my hopes :-( He didn't think it was my period since it is too soon after the procedure. He said that during the pregnancy the blood vessels in your uterus fill up, now that my uterus is back to its correct shape, size & texture it is relaxing & so the blood vessels have relaxed as well & are releasing the blood they have been storing. So the two doctors are sort of contradicting themselves. The first one said getting my period all depends on where your hormone levels were before the D&E.  Since I miscarried 3 weeks prior to my D&E, plus add the past week & a half that would give you a normal menstrual cycle.  While the doctor last night says I had to ovulate in order to get my period & that is impossible to do before the D&E. They both did confirm that if I'm mentally ready to start trying again & my body is healed I will get pregnant.  So my husband & I are not really sure what to do. Do we wait?
i had a m/c on 21sept and a dc on 21sept and i am still waiting for my first af post mc/dc so it may not be a period
It very well could be based on the info you provided. I had a d&c yesterday and just posted asking a similar question as I am quite anxious to get back to ttc asap. I just ordered some LH strips on line so that I can detect by next o. If you're as eager as I am to ttc right away, maybe you should also buy an opk so that you will know if you're o'ing this month or not? Best of luck in ttc!
opk sticks show as positive if you still have Hcg in your system... like i said im nearly 8 weeks past m/c and still no af i was 8wks pregnant there abouts and only stopped testing positive on preg tests bout 2 weeks ago from my hcg from the pregnancy
Well, you don't HAVE to O to get a period, so that is a little off. Typically women have at least one anovulatory cycle a year, even though they still get af. So it is possible to get af without the O.

I have only had one D&C out of the four m/c I have had. I believe I got my af about 4 weeks later, but my levels were down to 0 after the D&C. Now with my last natural m/c, it took 6 weeks to the day to get af when measuring from the last day of spotting.

It really can vary greatly. If you had stopped bleeding for more than a few days, I would be inclined to say it may have been af.

If they have given you the go ahead to try again, it can't hurt to treat it as if it were your af. Worst case scenario is it wasn't and you try again anyway, right?

Now, Trikendi, has your doctor run levels on you? By the sounds of it you may have retained tissue or something to keep your levels elevated so long. If that is the case and you only started getting a normal reading, I would start timing from then. You got the positive surge on your OPK 2 weeks from that point? How far into this "cycle' are you? Did you normally run on a 28 day or was yours longer?

Andi

I got my period exactly 3 weeks after the D&C and I was told that was early.
im normally 28days.. i had us.. yesterday and all clear i think i oed 10 days ago and to day i have pink/red bloody/cm so i think af is now on her own sweet way but it is 8 weeks on sat since m/c

or i supose it may be implant.. what does this bleed look like how much etc
See, I never had implantation bleeding with any of my pregnancies (6 altogether) but I have heard it is darker, almost brown and quite light. I am sure there are some ladies who have had it that can tell you better than me : )

Were you lucky enough to bd when you were Oing? Anything is possible. I know how frustrating it can be waiting for af to show after a m/c. The 6 weeks it took for my last one was maddening. I swore I was pg, took a bunch of tests and then af reared her ugly head. But the good news is I got pg that very first cycle, so keep your chin up. If it didn't happen this month, there is always next month!

I have the same Christmas wish for myself :)
I hope we all get our wishes!
Baby dust!
Good luck to you and dh. What a Christmas blessing! I would ove nothing more than to come on here and see a litany of BFP posts during the holidays!!

Baby dust to all those TTC!

Andi
i oed bout 10 days ago and was bding most daysround o so i dont know.. if i dont have full blown af by fri i will test again but i think she is hiding in the shadows....ah well if this is af i still may be able to get my christmas wish... to find out im preggo before christmas
Add me to that holiday wish list. I had D&E Oct. 18. Bled lightly for about 6 days. Saw dr. for post D&E check on Oct. 31. On Nov. 1 I think I ovulated. Did not expect it that soon so of course I was thrilled. Called the dr. to see if it was possible, the nurse said absolutely. If I did, then I expect AF next Tue and we can start ttc again around Thanksgiving (the dr. told us to wait one cycle)! I could find out that I am prego by mid December. After all the sadness the past few weeks dh and I deserve that good news. Of course it hinges on a lot and I know from experience the more you stress about it the lower the chances are so I am trying to breathe deeply and relax and just let it happen - yeah right! It is nice to have others (like you all) who understand, so I don't feel like dh and I are going through this completely alone. Of course everywhere I go I see pregnant people.

Good luck to all!!!!!!!!
Amy Lynn
EXACTLY!! :)
My D, E, & c was done on Dec 23 and I got my period on Feb 28.
Just my humble opinion, but it's totally possible you O'd.

And yes! Always the pregnant people everywhere! Not just PG, but tons of tiny babies in strollers. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get to the point where I won't think about my MC for a split second every single time I see that! ugh.
I know what you mean about babies everywhere. I was supposed to be showing right now and it seems like everybody but me is! We will get through this and someday be pushing our little babies around!

Amy Lynn
I have EWCM today and a little last night. Does that mean I am ovulating?  DH and I BD'd yest, and the day before.  He is working tonight and tom. night so no BD'ing.  Do we still have chance this month?  Thanks!
Hi eveyone! I had a D&C done on Oct. 12 2005 for a miscarrige, I had light bleeding for about 6 days post D&C. Three weeks after D&C around Nov. 12 I had light pinkish red spotting that appeared to be watery for about 3-4 days on and off. I was very excited at first because I thought it may be my period. Two days before this I also noticed VERY tender breast (like they were when I was pregnant) so again, this seemed like it could be my first period. I have never had such a light period before but a friend suggested it might have been light because of the D&C- there may not have been much to shed in my uterus. If this is the case and this was my period I could be pregnant soon. Have any of you ever experienced this situation before? Please let me know I am very confused!
Hi all - I've been lurking for a while...
Beccaz, I wanted to post a reply to your situation. I m/c 4 weeks ago, and my Dr. said it was passing naturally. I bled for about 5 days, then stopped for a week, then starting bleeding again, and still had brest tenderness. I asked for a d&c, but he said it wasn't needed. My hcg levels weren't dropping under 90, and eventually began to rise. Once they doubled - he realized there was retained tissue and did the d&c. That was 4 days ago. Within two days my hcg went from 180 to 25, and today I got AF and showed neg. on my hpt! I wish I had done the d&c sooner - but at least I can start trying again in 2 weeks! I think you should go get your hcg levels checked - that would help you know if it was AF or not!
Thank you Misshennie, today I did in fact get a blood pregnancy test to check my hgc hormone. I have gotten a UTI for the first time ever (very painful)and they wanted to put me on antibiotics. I told them I had a D&C done almost 6 weeks ago and there is a chance I may be pregnant so the Dr. gave me one he says is safe for early pregnacy. I should find out results of my preg. test within two days. When I had D&C my Dr. told me everything went very well and that everything was removed so I am hopeing my hgc levels went down very quickly. I am keepong my fingers crossed that I am pregnant, that sure would be a great Christmas present!! Good luck to you, maybe you too can be prego by Christmas!!
I hope so! babies for all of us!
:)
My miscarriage began October 27th.  I did not have a D&C and I was supposed to be 10 weeks along.  I have had blood work weekly since then.  Last Wednesday my levels were still at 137 (I started at 28,000).  How long do I have to wait before my levels are down.  I'm not bleeding anymore, but about once I week I discharge small mucus tissue.  I'm ready to start trying.
HI Beccaz,

I too had a very light period after a D&C and mc. But I wasn't sure why it was so light. I had D&C on Oct.31 and lightly bled for about 11-13 days and then Started slightly spotting like period on Nov.29th. But only lasted about 4 days and seemed more brown than a normal period. I am hoping for the best present in the world the only one I want for xmas...to be pregnant. Did you dr. tell you that the 1st period after the d&c would be very light as a result of the lack of lining?? Good luck on future babies to everyone.
Hello everyone
I had a d&c on November 9th; I was supposed to be 8 weeks pregnant; the fetus was showing 6 weeks; I bled for only one day after the d&c and now I just got what I believe to be my period on Sunday December 11, 2005; the only strange thing is that I bled sunday and monday(this) morning but since about 1:30 today I have not bled at all.... I was just wondering if that is nomral for a period post d &c; I am wondering if maybe i will bleed more tomorrow but as of right now i am still clean... has anyone experienced this before?
We lost r baby at 17wks, had the D&E Nov. 2nd. I've had light spotting during the week after d&e but nothing since.  I'm not ready to ttc yet but I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned about. I can't think about taking pg test...i'm not ready to be pg again.