Maternal & Child Community
Is this weird??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Is this weird??

Ok me and my DD have a crazy bond. I am a SAHM and i dedicate all my time to her all day. When I'm upset or crying all I want is my DD. I guess when i feel betrayed by everyone else shes always loved me and just so happy to be with me.
Is this weird? Anyone else feel this kind of connection with their child?
I don't think it's strange at all! I think the bond between a mother and their child is unlike any other! It's the best thing in the world :) It can be pretty frustrating though when they develop separation anxiety if one day you need to be away from her, for whatever reason, yikes! :)
Yes and no, it is great you feel a close connection with your child, however that is a lot of pressure to put on her. As she gets older, there will certainly come times where she will resent that she is your emotional crutch. She is your child, not your partner or best friend.

At the same time, there is something to be said for the comfort and calm that can be brought by snuggling with a child.

I say shower her with as much affection as you can muster, but do it for the right reasons.

I was like that with my son when he was younger. I was a single mom, and if I was really depressed or having a bad day, I wouldn't take him to preschool because I wanted his company!  It even went on until he was in kindegarten and first grade! He was my favourite person in the world, why wouldn't I want to be around him when I was sad and upset?

I don't know (even now) that those feelings are bad per se, just try not to develop unreasonable expectations of your DD.  What if you were really upset and wanted to hold her and she was crying and fussy? Would that make you feel better or just more frustrated/upset? While *I* don't think its a big deal you just have to remember that you are her MOM first and friend after that. It's sometimes difficult for us women to get that down as we are so emotional and so in love with our children.

Thats been my experience anyway.