Maternal & Child Community
Is tuna really bad?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Is tuna really bad?

I have the worst craving for a tuna sub from subway for lunch. I did have one last week, but I know they talk about mercury and listeria. Should I pass on it, I REALLY feel for tuna, I am 7 wks 2 days.
I wouldn't risk it...especially in the 1st trimester. But then again, they say anything in moderation is usually ok. I just don't trust that any food joint would be the most sanitary at all times, especially if the food is something that isn't cooked. And it's not only the tuna at a place like that, it's the mayo, too. I remember when a local sub/sandwich shop (very well known) used spoiled mayo in some of their sandwiches, and a lot of people got really sick from it. It was on the news...

So, just use extreme caution if you feel you MUST eat tuna or any type of sandwich that incorporates mayo.

As far as the mercury, I would just eat tuna in VERY limited amounts while pg.

:-)
You just made me change my mind. I guess I will get a chicken sub from quiznos instead.
Sorry! :-)  Just trying to help! LOL

Yeah, I would stick with "well cooked" food, especially when dining out. You just don't want to risk getting sick or harming the little peanut! No food (no matter HOW good it sounds at the time) is worth the risk!

Good luck!
YIKES! i would have died these past 25 weeks without tuna.. haha.. I limit my tuna intake to 1 per week if that often.  Tuna is actually very good for you in pregnancy in limited quanities.  As far as food borne illnesses go, you take a chance with EVERYTHING.. even chicken subs.  even when not pregnant anything can make you sick.  even water.  soo.. Enjoy your tuna.. mayo and all.. and rest assured that you will be just fine.
Salmon is a good idea. I have fixed it like tuna before, and it is very good.
A little bit (one hoagie) here and there isnt bad. If you eat it every day..then that's a problem because of mercury.

I think you will be okay if you have a 6 inch.
Yes, go get yourself that sub if that's what you want.  Tuna is fine during pregnancy, just not every single day.  I'm eating tuna noodle casserole right now.
I ate a tuna sub from Subway about once a week in my first trimester.  I also had cold-cut sandwiches.  It all depends on you and how comfortable you feel with the restaurant you have chosen or the person making the food.
I eat it at least once a week. Listeria is a risk in undercooked food, but canned tuna is of course well done. The risk of mercury comes from eating too much fish too often, not from having it 1-2 times a week. When in doubt, call your Dr.
The FDA reccomends no more than 1 can per week for pregnant women.  The issue is mercury.  Mercury is a toxic metal that builds up in your bloodstream over time. (This means that if you ate a lot of tuna or other high mercury foods before getting pregnant, it is most likely still in your system.) Mercury has been proven to cause MANY health problems in developing fetuses and children.  Consumer reports did a study a few months back and they concluded that pregnant women should avoid tuna completely during pregnany.  They found that there is little to zero consistency in how much mercury ends up in one can of tuna, even from the same manufacturer.  Since you have no way of knowing whether what you're eating has high levels or not, it's best to avoid it.  Salmon is a much better fish for you during pregnancy.  Mercury is not a concern in salmon and it is full of omega fats, which are extrememly important for your baby's brain development.  You can buy canned salmon and make it the same way you would make tuna salad for a much safer option. I completely understand the cravings thing though. Having a tuna sandwich is most likely safe, but I certainly wouldn't make it a habit.
Yeah, I got stuck on that for a while.  I'm actually a vegetarian, but I really started craving fish and seafood in my 2nd trimester.  Before becoming a veggie, I ate tons of tuna!  That was many years ago, so hopefully it's all out of my system now.  And hopefully a year from now they won't come out saying how dangerous it is for pregnant women to eat salmon! LOL!
I was told I could eat light tuna when I was pregnant.
You are allowed two 140g cooked fresh tuna steaks or four 140gr portions of tinned tuna.

The main ones to avoid are shark and sword fish, also shell fish (prawns can be eaten but must be well cooked).

I have been eating tuna as all the food guidelines I have read say that it is allowed within the stated amounts.

Smoked salmon carries a very small risk of listeria (someone wanted to know last week).

But Mackeral, Herrings, Sardines and Pilchards are all safe oily fish options.
I had a professor a few semesters ago who was a behavioral toxicologists.  He told us that while he was earning his PhD they did studies on women said that they consumed fish throughout pregnancy and followed their children.  While at birth the children were normal, it was evident that they had learning disabilites when they entered early childhood.  He said that tuna is the worst.  He recommended no more than 6 oz. of canned tuna a week and if your pregnant absolutely none!
Oh I also wanted to add that 1/160 children are now born somewhere along the autism spectrum and they notice high prevalences in coastal areas and are thinking its something to do with mercury in the water.  Just avoid all seafood while pregnant!!
Thanks for that I think that I may remove the tuna from my diet from now on.

Surely we need fish in our diet though? I thought that it was important that we had oily fish such as mackeral in our diet. Did your professor say that it was all fish, or just certain large fish.

Oh my, I don't think that I can stay without fish for so long.
Thanks for all your comments, I did settle for a chicken salad sandwich. It tasted ALMOST like tuna, so it worked fine. It was shredded real fine but it satisfied my craving.......FOR NOW.
I eat a tuna sub from subway about every wk now. I hope it's ok!
He said for people who are not pregnant to limit your consumption of large fish like tuna, swordfish etc.  And that if you are pregnant to not eat any seafood at all due to mercury, pcbs etc.
I'm sure we all eat something that somebody else would think it horrible during pregnancy. I ate tuna about once a week during my first trimester. It was actually one of the only things that I could get down, although I did limit it. I have never heard anyone say to avoid it altogether (at least not a professional). As for avoiding mayo at restaurants, that's up to each person. Honestly, I think any food can be spoiled in a restaurant. If your going to take it that far, they can always undercook your steak or chicken or give you spinach with Hep, or fruit with pestocides on it. Don't become too afraid to eat food at all. We pregnant women still have to eat and there is always going to be something about any type of food that someone will try to scare you with. I would rather eat a little tuna than all the processed food (which I like to call cancer in the making) that some people eat and think is so good for you.
According to my doctor, Tuna is safe and healthy for a pregnant woman.  Albacore is not due to mercury concerns.
I think your paranoid just like that nutty professor.  Fish is very good for a person ands it too bad people have views from one extreme to the next that confuse the **** out people.  Pregnant women have enough to worry about just listen to your ob and hopefully he/she is not a paranoid skitzo. that makes your pregnancy uncomfortable.  Defects just happen and most of the time i would say it's hard to pin point the exact cause if the mother was a decent carrier.  I mean one that is not a crack ***** with std's and living in a unsanitary place.  I would say not washing your hands is just as bad as eating fish but the irony of that is that our hands have a natural bacteria fighter built right in them so over washing could lead to more germs then one's thought.  THE WORLD IS A BIG ******" HMMMMMMMMMM... filled with choices do your best try sift through the bull and remember anything thats been over induldged cant be good.
According to the American Pregancy Association, salmon is fine, however most is dyed and any smoked is no no! dyed salmon is something you should stay away from and often farm raised salmon can be risky as well. But most professionals say that eating these types of foods in moderation while considering your current health and specific situation are generally fine.
If you are planning on conceving a child it is highly recommened that you not eat high mercury fish for a while in order to keep it from storing in your body.