Maternal & Child Community
Itchy postpartum rash, anyone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Itchy postpartum rash, anyone?

Hi, I got this really annoying itchy rash 2 weeks after giving birth vaginally to my daughter.  medicine and sarna lotion don't seem to work.  It itches even more when I scratch and at night.  I heard other moms had postpartum rash too.  What can I do to alleviate the itch and what is the cause?  I breastfeed and it's unbearable at night with the itch.
By the way, the rash first started on my shin and other parts of my legs and now it's also on my ankle and near the buttocks.
Are you on pain meds? It sounds to me as if maybe you are having an allergic reaction to somethings.  I haev never heard of a post partum rash.  BTW congrats on the baby!!
Hello.  I am 2 months post partum and have developed the rash all over my body.  It started on the back of my knees and a small patch on the back of my neck.  Later it spread to cover my entire legs as well as stomach and arms.  I have small red circles on my cheeks but the rash does not extend over my nose.  I am concerned that this may be Lupus.  Anyone?
Okay, here's my story and a cure for the itching at least!  I had a C-Section and had a solid hive from my mid-thigh to my mid-stomach.  The hives were due to the betadine (iodine) used to clean the area for my C-Section.  I also had a rash on my upper arms and stomach starting about the 8th month of pregnancy.  And, about 3 days after birth, I started itching on my legs, arms, stomach, sides, and back that would turn into a rash/hives after I would scratch it.  So, I think I had PUPPP and an allergy to betadine, but I also had this third thing too that I'm calling "postpartum rash".  The steroid shot and dose pack got rid of the betadine allergy and the postpartum rash temporarily, but the postpartum rash came back.  The PUPP went away after birth (except I still have a rash on my upper arms, but it doesn't itch.)  But this third thing has been itching like crazy and I'm 6 weeks postpartum now.  I have been to numerous doctors and lately a dermatologist that has referred me to an allergist just recently.  I'll be making the allergist appointment because I do believe this is an allergy due to changes in hormones from pregnancy.  The dermatologist told me that pregnancy/birth does such a number on your body that you can develop allergies that you never had before.  Anyway, I have taken about every prescription that everyone has discussed as well as over the counter stuff too.  At one point, one doctor even prescribed scabies medicine thinking that might be it!  The cure for the itching is a combination of Hydroxyzine (25 mg 4X per day) and Doxepin (10 mg 3X per day).  This will make the itching go away.  When I was just using Hydroxyzine without the Doxepin I was using Fluocinonide ointment too (which is a stronger ointment than Triamcinolon).  I also have a presctiption for Clobetasol ointment which is supposed to be even stronger than Fluocinonide, but I haven't had the need to take it.  The only downside to the Hydroxyzine/Doxepin mix is that it makes you tired.  I've ordered the Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap that everyone is talking about here to hopefully see if I can at least get rid of the leftover rash on my upper arms from PUPPP because it sounds like that might help.  And, I'm going to an allergist to try to get rid of the postpartum rash for good so that I can stop taking the Hydroxyzine/Doxepin.  Hope this helps!
Hi, I had the same problem..the rash was so maddening that I thought I would jump off a cliff if I didn't get rid of it soon.    After weeks of misery and sleeping with ice packs, I finally went to a doctor who knew exactly what was wrong.  I was allergic to my husbands DNA in the placenta.  When the placenta starts to deteriorate at the end of the pregnancy, the lower stomach usually starts itching and gets welts.  Then, after pregnancy, as the placental materials left in the body get reabsorbed into it, the rash becomes systemic and you feel like you will lose your mind from the itchiness.   He gave me a prednisone pack and it was almost gone by the end of the day.   In a few days, it was completely gone and never came back.   I couldn't believe it was gone.  It seemed too good to be true...but it was.  
Hi I had a baby 9 weeks ago. When she was 4 weeks old i developed a rash.  I have tried everything to get rid of it!  It started in a stretch mark and now is on the backs of my legs, buttocks, ankles and now upper arm and back.  So many creams, pills and about 3 packs of prednisone and now onto a longer course.  I have been to see a dermatologist and next week off to see a natropath because the steriods just mask the problem and don't treat the cause.  Honestly this is the worst thing i have ever experienced.   I think i would rather give birth again than itch for weeks on end. Its ruining my life.  Any suggestions?  Im getting desperate
Hi! I'm so relieved (and sorry) to hear that I'm not alone with this weird condition! I'm a completely healthy 33 yr old, developed some itchiness on the lower arms and lower legs two weeks before an emergency c-section. Within 24 hrs of it, my belly was beet red but not itchy. This spread to the front of my upper thighs (maybe it's the iodine thing that someone else mentioned) and started to spread all over my body. It started burning and itching like crazy. They gave me Benadryl only which did very little to control the itching. The whole thing went into slight remission two weeks later, then returned with a vengeance and I still have it. I was just prescribed prednizone by my allergist, who has no idea what this is. He also took a skin biopsy and I'm going to see a dermatologist. I have a sense that it is a combination of the hormonal changes and the extreme stress I went under for two weeks post partum (my baby was in NICU). I just don't know why it isn't going away now that things are settling.
is anyone still bleeding with this rash? i am 7 weeks postpartum and i have this rash as well. the itching is bad enough to make me think i am getting depression. since my bleeding has really picked up again i seem to itch even more. it is on my breasts, stomach, legs, back, butt, and neck. i am breast feeding and fear that i will have to stop in order to make the rash go away.
i have been to the dematologist. he said it was hives and to take zrytec. i tried that but it made both me and my son too sleepy and my milk production was becoming effected.
is there any hope that this will go away?!
oh boyy did i have a rash!  it started on my butt at the hospital, and i thought it was from the underwear they made me wear.  then after i got discharged, it spread from my butt all the way up my body to my chin.  i knew something was going on bc i neverrr get rashes!  i still don't know what it was from.  my guess is either the antibiotics they put me on, or the vicodin that i was taking for the pain from the section.  i still kinda think it was the vicodin, but i had taken it for something years before and didnt get a rash.  anyway, my dr had me stop taking everythingg.  no motrin. no vicodin.  nothing.  and i was healing from my section so it wasn't that fun without meds but i did it. ohhh she did put me on one med though...it was a steroid 5 day pack or something.  that seemed to do the trick, but it took almost all 5 days to work. go to the dr if it keeps up. mine was so annoying and awful..and i was dealing w a baby in the nicu at the time too!
wow. i'm glad i'm not alone in this. i started to get hives about 6 weeks postpartum, where i had stretch marks. they soon became raised hives and spread so i was covered from knees to neck and on my arms down to the wrist. i tried every home remedy without avail. the doctor gave me a 5-day course of prednisone, which helped, but didn't clear up the rash. i went back and was put on a stronger, longer dose of prednisone. that cleared it up, but it came back as soon as i was off the prednisone. it hasn't been as maddening as it was, but it's getting bad enough now that i think i need to go back in and see a doctor again. my first inclination was that it was stress, but i'm not so sure. i've read that thyroid problems or infection can cause hives. also, i'm wondering if it's a "new" allergy.

wow............. i'm so happy i found this thread. i developed some "rash" on my backside 4 weeks after having my son. i'm now 6 weeks post pardom and the rash is taking over the rest of my body. Here's the thing though, it doesn't itch. It's not bright red. It doesn't hurt. It's just a bunch of raised bumps. I at first thought this was a heat rash due to sitting on the couch constantly while on leave. *i have VERY sensitive skin and am use to having bumps develop or eczema flare ups if something irritates my skin* Well, the once harmless rash jumped to my face and neck last night while out with my husband. I attributed this to hives because i was beyond stressed out about who knows what... Up until 4 weeks post pardom I was healing quite well and having no problems. This just came out of nowhere.. I thought this also could have been brought on by the insane amount of motrin they told me to take *I put on 15 pounds of nothing but water weight in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy and was swollen to the point that I couldn't do anything other than lay on the couch until giving birth* They told me to take the 800mg motrin every 6 hours for 3 weeks. Yes it got rid of the swelling, but it also tore my stomach up and made me develop headaches for the first time every in my 30 years on this earth. This seems like rambling but all this ties in with this insane rash. If anyone finds out what this is please let me know. I have my 6 week check up this week and i'm sure my OB is going to think i'm insane because I tell her I have a rash that doesn't itch. I have been taking benadryl, but that only calms the small hives down. It doesn't get rid of the rash. Oh and FYI, baby powder and gold bond do NOT get rid of this. It only makes it worse.
I am glad that I am not alone.  I had my daughter in July of 2007 and the day after I got home from
the hospital my hands starting itching so intense that I would cry.  My doc gave me a shot of (I think)
hydrocortisone.  It helped for a while but the itching came back.  All in all it lasted about 10 weeks.  
My son was just born 09/22/09.  It's funny cause I made several comments during the pregnancy
about "I better not itch again" and so on.  My doc told me I was having an allergic reaction to Keflex
when I had the itching 2 years ago.  It was almost like clockwork, the day after returning home from
the hospital 2 weeks ago the itching started, and I was not taking Keflex.  Doc put me on a 6 day
prednisone pack.  I just started it tonight.  I wish I would have went to the Doctor 2 weeks ago, but
anyways when I discussed it with him, his medical input was "I have no idea, that's wierd".  It seems
easier this time because this is the second time for me and at least I know it WILL go away and
there is nothing seriously wrong. Hormone changes can cause itching and having a baby certainly
will effect hormones.  I just tell myself thats whats causing it.  By the way my intense itching has NO
visible rash what so ever.  My hands look perfect as if nothings there.  You can slightly feel a difference
in texture.  Has anyone else exerienced that?
I have the same thing.  It started on my hands and fingers and spread to my entire body exactly a week postpartum..

What I don't understand is that I went to my doctor also who referred me to a dermatologist and no one seems to know what it is.  I have been asked about 40 times if I was immunized for measles.   WHY do doctors not know about this postpartum problem????  They all seem clueless and want to blame it on everything but the pregnancy, when everything points at pregnancy.  I google "postpartum rash" and all I get are these: forums FULL of women with the same problem.

I can't believe they gave you scabies medicine... thats retarded.  I saw a post  where a doctor told the woman she had eczema...

I'm frustrated with the medical community.

This rash I have comes and goes, and right now is all over my face and in my mouth believe it or not.  I just keep taking Zyrtec.
i got this rash on my face!! aweful itchy and red,swollen.! i thought it was from using peroxide on my face..but i didnt have this rash until 2 days after using it.i used antibacterial handsoap 4 times a day.then wash away and airdry.the next day,swelling was gone.for 3 days.. now the 4th day,it is crispy peeling flaky dry face,no itch..with pink color where the red was.slowly healing.i had to visit the pediatrician with my baby today,for a red swollen earlobe.same as my face was.a red/pink rash.she said it is a bacterial infection,but didnt know what kind.she prescribed him Keflex.2 doses once a day.as well as triple antibiotic ointment on it.what i did when we got home.scrubbed my hands like heck,in case my issue wasnt from peroxide,and i spread some bacteria)..i gave him his 1st dose,took some liquid keflex and put it ON the red lobe.let it sit for 5 min.then he spit some out,and then i had to give him a bath.then after bath,i put triple antibiotic ointment on it.put him for a nap.3 hours later and his ear is a little pink dark pink colored and not RED.the swelling has gone down.
if i am not mistaken,i think this may have done the trick..but have to continue with the meds..i wonder if it is the same for the skin rash .
the pediatrician told me i should put something on my face.i told her i did,but it stings.she said it will.it is extremely dry and healing.so i did.it looks tons better after now being dried out like a potato chip!
but still stings sometimes,but took a lot of red away.i wonder if keflex would treat those rashes we all speak of?
I am 4 weeks post partum and get random hives throughout my body everyday. Most times its on my sock or bra line and all on my scalp. They will come, then go. I am taking Alavert, but they are still everywhere. My OB didnt have any idea why it was happening when I went in 2 weeks, so I know she is not going to know when I go in in 2 more weeks. Benadryl knocks me out, so I am afraid to take it. Why are there so many posts but no clear answers!!!
It happened to me too--some extremely itchy red bumps starting at my midline on my belly, about 5 days postpartum, which spread down to my inner thighs and some on my arms within 15 minutes. One of my OBs said it was PUPPPS but another said it wasn't PUPPPS and told me to call a dermatologist. What seems clear is no one knows what it is.

I didn't get any treatment for it other than topical Benadryl and quite a bit of scratching, and they cleared themselves up eventually.

I have the same thing!!!  I got this about 4 weeks postpartum and it started in the stretch marks on my hips.  Now I am itching ALL OVER and I have no idea what this is!!!!  Some other people have suggested that it might be PUPPP, so I looked it up (see http://dermatology.about.com/cs/pregnancy/a/puppp.htm).  The article says that it might be an allergic reaction to male fetal DNA.  I had a boy, so maybe I am having an allergic reaction to my son's DNA which I was exposed to (via the placenta) at birth.  Did anybody else with this problem have a boy?
I have 2 boys, broke out too after Carson.  It was a couple days after birth & went all over.  I was told it was a reaction to the pregnancy hormones & should go away as they reduce, my Dr. said it could be PUPPS too, even though I was no longer pregnant the hormones were there.  I was told I could take Benadryl, until they realized I was nusing, then they told me no- I had to wait it out.  Not fun.  They enever mentioned the boy thing, but my OB told me it was due to the hormones, so who knows.  I didn't get it with my second baby, another boy.
I had this rash after my first pregnancy and am having it right now w/ my second one. For both cases, i took clarinex (forgot how it spelled). It's a type of antihistamine but it's stronger than benadryl and requires prescription from the doctor. It went away completely after 5 pills. However, if i eat a certain food (ie sea food), then i will have it again but not as severe. For the skin, i use some type of cortisone which also requires prescription. It helps clear up the skin as you put it on.

My OBGYN told me that it's because of the hormone changes and will have it until i finish breast feeding.

Hope it helps.
I had the same problem after giving birth...itchy rash all over thighs/groin. I found out it was jock itch..weird.
Thank goodness that I found out this site! I thought I was the only one having this same problem. I'm on my 4 weeks postpartum and last week I've noticed rashes in between my thigh and it is really itchy, I thought that I just ate something and or applied something in my body but I really don't have any allergy. I went to see a Doctor thru Intermediate Care because I couldn't take it, he had given me an ointment with 1percent hydrocortisone but I don't feel any changes. Yesterday morning I've noticed that I'm developing another rashes in some area of my body (legs, upper arm, buttocks). I'm really worried because I just realized that my Baby Girl had some rashes on her face before I noticed my rashes. My peds said that it's not uncommon for the baby to have rashes due to changes but now that I also have rashes, it really worries me. I just sent an email to my Primary Doctor and still awaiting for his responsed.
Hopefully I'll get some cure to this...it's really itchy!!! :(
I am three and a half months postpartum and I am covered in an itchy, red, bumpy rash.  I thought maybe pupp but my doctor did some blood tests and the only thing abnormal was my thyroid- which was hyper. ( I have Hashimotos, an autoimmune disorder that attacks your thyroid resulting in short periods of hyperthyroid.)  So I am wondering if anyone else has had pupp occur so late, and if anyone happens to have hyperthyroid/ thyroiditis and if there may be a connection between those and pupp.
I am 8weeks post pardom and developed a nasty rash, found out by my dr this is what does happen to some women, i also had a c section, there is meds out there. benadryl is what i am taking to re leave the itching and the dr just called in the med that you have to tapper off and its safe fro breast feeding.
  its painful, the joints that are closer hurt, its beyond itchy, and this is what happens wherever you itch you open pours and the deeper the layer of skin you open thats where the rash will appear when you sweat  it becomes even more irritant because the any opening to the surface of your skin it can cause a rash quicker.

HopeDee

lady's over the phone most dr's are smart enough o help you, if not keep searching for a dr who gives more than ten cents for their patience
I also had this awful rash that showed up after both of my kids were born!  I think I actually figured it out though - I believe it was an allergic reaction to Aleve which I was prescribed for pain following labor.  It says so right on the back of the Aleve bottle!  I took Aleve after both deliveries and this time I stopped just to see if my theory was right.  The rash went away within a few days and no more scratching!!!  I also recommend Cortizone 10 Coolong Relief Gel for relief while you wait it out.  Give it a try...the pain "down there" without pain meds is far more bearable than the rash in my opinion!
I have the same condition and developed it post pregnancy.  I am breastfeeding therefore scared to take benedryl.  The rash movers over my body and itches like crazy.  My derm gave me a steroid shot.  I use Eucerin in the morning and aquaphor in the evening.  I also take oatmeal baths to help moisturize the skin.  Unfortunately, nothing I do helps.  I go back to the derm in two weeks.

If yours cleared up after breastfeeding please let me know.  I feel like this will never go away.  
I HAVE THIS!!!  I am 4 months postpartum and developed a rash on my legs the last month of my pregnancy.  Immediately after having my son, my abdoment started itching like crazy.  When I scratched it, the rash spread and became inflamed.  I called the OB because I had scratched my legs completely open and had infected sores.  They told me they weren't sure what it was (helpful) but gave me a steroid cream because I was breastfeeding and said to use oatmeal baths and the ointment.  It got worse. It spread to my back, arms and chest.  I then went to my family dr who had no clue, sent me to a dermatologist.  I've been working with her for weeks now.  We've tried several creams and she has me on a double dose of claritan every night.  It will not go away!!! My back is still covered but legs have pretty much cleared up.  They say its not PUPPS because it was postpartum and has stayed so long.  I also tried prednisone for 10 days-this did nothing.  I'm goign for an ultrasound this week (they are concerned maybe some of the placenta may have remained in me and that may be causing this) then blood work following that to see if something else is causing this.  I'm up all night itching and miserable.  Its awful and I feel for anyone else going through this.  I wont give up breastfeeding so they cant give me oral steriods or other medicines....just waiting on the ultrasound and bloodwork to see if it helps.  I did the Grandpas pine tar soap and dandelion root for a few days but was told to not do herbals because of nursing.  Its a mess.  I hope someone finds a cure for this rash sometime soon because taking care of a newborn and trying to deal with it is AWFUL.  I'm sorry other moms out there that have to deal with this too!!!!!
Hello all,

I had my daughter 03/19/11 and had a condition called PUPPS 3 weeks before giving birth. I cleared up for about a week and half after giving birth and then the hives returned in my stretch marks on my sides. It itches, alot, and has spread from my hands to my feet. Thankfully, my face and neck have not broken out - yet. I'm going to my OB on the 28th, but! I did notice that my arms and places where they're not stretchmarks just have a different dry texture to them and it deffinately gets worse the more I scratch. I'm just hoping for some kind of relief. I've heard this kindof rash can last up to year, and I just don't know if I can handle that. >.<;

Goodluck, ladies. I know I need it:(
My son is 18 weeks old and I've been dealing with this rash for about 10 weeks. At first I just had a patch of what looked like eczema on my arm, but that has come and gone over the years, so I didn't think much of it. I was also super dry after the birth; every time I took my clothes off I could see all the dead skin flakes (I wear a lot of black). Then the rash/itching started. It was all over: arms, shoulders, upper back, sides, hips, thighs, and breast. At the same time my dryness reached an all time high: the inside of my nostrils was dry and cracked, my lips were dry and cracked, I had dry patches on my eyelids and under eye area.

I did a course of prednizone and it helped, got rid of it while I was on the meds, but as soon as it ran out the itching started back up. Now I once again have itching/rash on my arms, shoulders, thighs, and breasts. The dryness isn't as bad, but my skin is drying out were I scratch/have a rash. GRRRR. Hoping for a referral to a dermatologist soon. This is crazy. I feel like I'm allergic to my baby boy because his body heat and sweat/slobber exacerbates it. I'm breast feeding as well and that is my priority, they told me the prednisone and zyrtec were safe.

I thought it might be PUPPP, my general practitioner said it looked like hives (allergy or stress). It's crossed my mind that it might be a coconut allergy (it's in everything and the only ingredient in my natural, cloth-diaper-friendly detergent, but it really doesn't add up for me. Any thoughts? New information?
I got this rash! I got it about 5 days after delivering my baby boy. I nearly panicked when I read the many and consistent stories online about this rash, which could apparently last for weeks (and in some instances, up to a year!). I found some holistic remedies and thankfully they worked for me (I am hoping it doesn't come back, but I've now been nearly a week free from this awful rash). Here is what I took, the rash went away within 48hours:

acidophilus (twice a day)
flax seed oil capsules (once a day)
dandelion root tincture (three times a day)
nettles tea (drank this 2-3 times a day)
used diaper rash cream (with 40% zinc) for temporary relief until rash subsided.

I got all of the above items at Whole Foods.

Best of Luck!!
I have a three and a half month old. Only at night i have Joint pain and this crazy ich with big old welts on my inner arms wist, belly, chest, and legs, even neck and head. I want to know why and what causes this... Benaldtyn works great but makes me to drowsy
A month or two before my baby was born, my rash started with a red ring at the top center of my buttocks which I thought was ring worm, but ring worm cream did nothing, now 6 months since my baby was born the rash has spread all around my buttocks and inner thighs but I have been keeping it under control with steroid cream, but it keeps coming back after a few days when it looks to be gone.  I assume its PAPP rash but mine doesnt get very itchy, only sometimes.  Im going to keep applying the steroid cream until its gone and if it doesnt, Im off to the Skin Specialist.    Also, I have to admit my rash gets worse after a big night out drinking.
Glad to hear others are having itching post partum. My OB/midwife didn't seem to know/think it was pregnancy related. I'm 4.5 weeks pp and have been itching the last few weeks, especially at night.
I developed PUPPs in the 7th month of my pregnancy with my first son.  It was terrible.  I scratched my legs until they bled.  The OB/GYN didn't have anything to really offer.  But I went to my accupuncture doctor and she told me to eliminate citrus from my diet.  It WORKED.  However, even 3 years (and another baby later) I still can not consume citrus without getting hives.  In fact, my reactions continue to get worse over time.  I wish I knew how to get rid of this allergy/sensitivity.  Any ideas?  
I was do relieved to hear otera were expeiencig this too- I thought I was going crazy!!!! I started experiencing itching, small hive- like bumps on my hands and feet, did some research and then chalked it up to pupps and hoped it would
go away after delivery ( I ended up delivering t 41.5 weeks). After delivery it exploded!!! I tried lots of things, but here's what seems to be working 1 week post partum:
relaxing- I know it sounds obvious, but whenever I was extra stressed ( extended hospital stay, problems bfing, pokes and Prodes and multiple I've for the baby) I could just feel it  start to burn! It really helped to ust focus on myselfnif I could and remener I needed to be string and healthy to take care if this baby
ice packs
pure aloe gel ( although the cheapo sunburn aloe gel worked well in a pinch for same releof, the pure stuff reall seemed to help make the rash go away)
hot showers ( pat to dry, don't rub)
changing sweaty clothing, sheets, etc right away
loose fitting, Nan-rubbing clothing

hope this helps!  
ice packs
hot showers ( pat to dry, don't rub)
loose fitting, Nan-rubbing clothing

hope this helps!  
I have this too!!! I was told by my doc that it was ringworm, however almost 2 weeks after using an anti fungal cream to treat the "ringworm", its still spreading! it started out on my inner thighs and has now spread to my hips, underarms, stomach, and is now going down my arm. I also have these white heat bumps all over my arms, lower back, sides and butt. They started on my upper arms and have been spreading down my arms, back, butt and sides now. I've tried expensive, hydrating lotions and hydrocortisone cream with aloe and nothing helps! My lips are also crazy dry and chapped no matter what I put on them, which is really rare for me.
I also had a c-section and am breastfeeding. I had a girl.
I'm about to go crazy! PLEASE help!!!
I'm glad i'm not alone - not that I would wish this on anyone else. At about 38 weeks pregnant i got a rash on my hips and welts on my lower part of my belly. The itching was driving me insane. I was 15 days late and was going crazy with the itching. My doctor prescribed me calamine lotion which didn't do a thing. After i had the baby i thought it would go away. The welts on my belly spread to my hips, the itching was so so bad. Then i got a rash all over the backs on my thighs and this drove me mental. I went back to my GP and she prescribed me Trimovate cream. In between this time I also used Canestan , Daktacourt Benadryl, Piriton!! Nothing worked. I am now 11 weeks after my pregnancy and I now have a rash on my left breast and on my hips again. I am breastfeeding and the itching is driving me so crazy i don't even leave the house anymore coz i look like i have fleas. I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do anymore.
When I had my baby I starting itching about an hour after my epidural on my stomach. Right after I delivered the itching wa non stop so I put an ice pack on. This lasted for a couple of days and then it started to spread everywhere except my face. I went to my doctor and he could not not tell me anything just sometimes women get this after birth and you have to let t run it's course. I swore it aw an allergic reaction to the epidural but he said he doubted that. He gave me steroids and itch cream, but nothing helped. It was the most horrible 3 weeks of my life. I cleared up but my skin is so sensitive now to this days 4 years later. Iam about to have my 2 nd child and freaking out whether to take an epidural or night because I do not want a rash again. My husband thinks I am crazy but I seriously do not know if could go through that rash again. Please any advise!!!!
i had a c section im now 7 weeks after pregnancy my legs and feet are itching like mad especially at nite time i had pupps during pregnancy  i find it hard to sleep at nite i take piriteze but it doesnt help
I'm so happy I found this discussion!  This rash is a REAL problem, and I found a solution.

I developed a rash about 3 weeks postpartum.  It started on my breasts, and I thought it was from breastfeeding and messing around with them more than usual.  It was SO ITCHY, like fire ants crawling on me, and kept me up most nights.  My doctor said it was eczema, and there wasn't anything I could do about it.

I tried Aveeno cream for eczema, ice packs, diaper rash cream, and many other over the counter creams.  The rash then spread to my stomach, so I went back to the doctor and got hydrocortisone cream (which of course I could not used on my breasts, so not much help there).  It did not work!  And the rash spread to my legs.

After 3 months of this maddening rash, my mother suggested salt baths.  I had a SEA SALT bath for 10 minutes every night, followed by Aveeno cream.  After 3 nights, the itch was almost gone, and after a week, the rash was completely gone.  

It worked for me, and worth a try if you've tried everything else!
I have the rash on my buttocks and thigh. I was given rhogam after birth which gives that side effect but my gyno said the rash started too late to be a side effect of rhogam.
I am also. Still spotting after 8wks of giving birth. Had this annoying rash now going 3 wks. My doc gave me hydrocortisone and DPH which only seem to mask it for a few hours then its back with a vengeance.
Really need some help with it its embarassing.
Something that actually worked for someone! Awesome!
I am about 3 months postpartum. My rash started on my thighs 2 weeks before delivery. The rash was at it's worst the 2nd weeks postpartum as was the swelling. The rash continues to be in random spots on my legs and arms. almost symmetrical, however. SEVERE itching at certain times of day more than others. When I itch, there becomes a large, red, swollen area with hives in the middle. I have tried steroid taper, steroid shot, clobetasol cream (the strongest topical steroid), antifungal cream, allegra, allegra with claritan, hydroxyzine (which made me sooo tired I could not see straight, don't know how anyone could take this med and function like a normal human being), benedryl, ibuprofen. All without any improvement. So i don not believe its an allergic reaction if antihistamines and steroids didn't touch it.

So now, I am attempting acyclovir, an anti viral. Don't know what else to do. I will try the salt bath thing though.
Hi marchie717,
Great to know something works! Could u share the brand of seasalt u used? Tks!
I am 13 days postpartum and still itching... My rash started immediately after c-section all around the incision site like little hives/welts.  

It's so interesting to read this thread because while everyone has experienced virtually the same symptoms, no one has the same exact story in terms of when the rash started (some during pregnancy, others postpartum), where on the body it started (some its legs, some its face, some its belly, etc.), how long it lasted (some its a few days, others its weeks,even months) or treatments that worked (the only person I've seen with a somewhat quick solution is the Sea Salt Bath which I can't wait to try today! )

I have seen the surgeon/OBGYN, my midwife, a skin disease specialist, my pediatrician, and my general practitioner regarding the rash and no one has a clear answer on what the rash is or how to resolve it.  The most common diagnosis I received was PUPPS which seems to make sense, although I am not convinced that that is the ONLY thing going on with my skin.    

One thing that has helped reduce the itching for me is Oatmeal Baths & Showers.  You can buy it over the counter or you can make your own.  It's very easy, all you have to do is blend plain oatmeal in a food processor until it becomes a grainy powder consistency.  I made mine at home and made enough for lots of baths.  I keep the jar in my shower now and use it every time.  The Baths were helpful, however I think it's even more effective to rub the oatmeal powder directly all over your skin.  The grainy part feels good because it acts as a natural exfoliant, but there are numerous health benefits for your skin that you can read about if you Google oatmeal health benefits for skin etc.So I recommend taking a hot shower (this will make the itch a little worse, almost like its burning the rash however I always feel better once I get out of the shower and "cool off" in front of a fan.  Something about the temp switch from hot shower, to cool down helps to alleviate the itching also.) and rubbing the oatmeal scrub all over your entire body so that you see/feel the milky residue that comes from mixing the scrub with the water.  Let the scrub soak on your skin for awhile before you step back into the water to rinse it off.  This does not make the rash go away, it simply helps to alleviate the itch temporarily.  I've been taking the oatmeal shower every morning, then applying the cream my dr. prescribed: Triacinaclone all over and then getting dressed and trying to stay busy & distracted.  This usually lets me get through the morning (still itching here & there) and then I apply more cream mid day and by evening have to get back in the shower and do the whole routine all over again so I can fall asleep.  (I was taking Benadryl but that has affected my milk supply, so I stopped taking it so I can continue breastfeeding)

Triacinaclone seems to be helping reduce the symptoms of the rash slowly.  The red is reducing to a pink color, the welts have flattened and the rash is not spreading further (although it's all over my body so I guess there is nowhere else for it to spread!)

I'm posting the link to an article about natural exfoliants that might be helpful.  On the list is oatmeal, sea salt, lemon juice, sugar, coffee, yogurt and a few others.  I am going to try the sea salt and perhaps some of these other natural exfoliants in hopes that they will help to restore my body...

Trimarchi, Maria, and Patrick Kiger.  "Top 10 Natural Exfoliants"  20 August 2009.  HowStuffWorks.com.   11 July 2012.
oh my god i couldnt even get through everyones comments on this horrible itching all i know is i delivered a year and 3 months ago i got it when i went home it was so horrible when i itched it bleeded made all the lil bumps blend together make big huge ones and now I have the worst scarring on my lower legs that I only wear shorts around my house I have horrible legs does anyone know if theres something really works for the scarring im mexican theres dark spots and where individual rashes where its white anyone if u can help would be appreciated
Did you have a c-section also?  My daughter-in-law, a few days after a vaginal birth of a daughter (1st child) got bumps all over her belly.  She asked me if I knew what was causing it and I had never heard of it after having 3 vaginal births of my own and never having this complication.  After looking online it looks as though it could be PUPPS.  I really feel for her and hope someone can help with ideas on how to relieve or better yet get rid of the bumps and itching.
hi marchie!!

My baby is 3 months old (boy, vaginal birth, breastfeeding) and I developed the rash one week ago. After been to the doctor and used soberlene (as ir was prescribed and didn't work)... yesterday I was so itchy that I sit in front of the computer and started to search for an answer. After reading several pages in english and portuguese - aparently no doctor knows what it is, or even how to treat it...people using lots of diferent medication or cream... girls giving up breastfeeding because they couldn't cope with weeks/months of terrible itchy ...etc. I was already hopeless when I found YOUR ANSWER!!

I stopped everything I was doing and run into a SEA SALT BATH at 2am!! OMG!! It really helped!! This morning I still had a little bit of rash, but tonight I will have another miracle bath.

Thank you very much for your help and tell your mum she is the BEST DOCTOR ever!!! ;)
Hi everyone!

I am pregnant with my 5th, and have 4 little darlings at home ages 9, 7, 5 and 2 1/2.  I had a c-section with my first, a VBAC with my second (my smallest baby) and 2 more c-sections with my 3rd and 4th (big boys that presented posterior position).  I had HORRIBLE hives with my last two pregnancies, and suffered miserably.  The hives would develop 3-5 days after giving birth, and would be everywhere.  With #3 they started on my ears/lips and spread down my chest.  With #4 they started on my feet and spread up (all the way to my neck).  With #1 I didn't have hives, I had a horrible yeast infection in my breasts that made nursing agony (and I'm happy to say we still made it to 11 months before we switched to bottles).

I never made the connection until #4.  My sister suggested I do some research on Candida. And boy, is there a lot out there.  Long story short, the big dose of antibiotics they give (with every C-section) was enough to wipe out my supply of healthy gut flora.  Hives would ensue, and until I cut out ALL sugar/starch/alcohol and started taking Yeast Fighters and probiotics, nothing else worked.  The results were MIRACULOUS, and while not instant, it only took about 3 days to see real improvement.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look into Yeast overgrowth, and as a side benefit, you'll drop your baby weight in no time and feel better than ever.  I had to go sugar/starch/alcohol free for about a full month, and then SLOWLY ween back into fruits.  2 1/2 years later (and pregnant again) I don't have any issues.  AND I know what to do this time!

Best wishes to you all!  
does ur puppp gone? if yes when? how many weeks until its completely gone,, what did u do
prednisone pack? what dosage please. cos i need it urgently.  pv3
I am experiencing the same right now i had a miscarriage in May of this year at five months and now my body itches without a rash i am clueless as to what is happening and what to do i have been on medications for the itching which help a bit but i can not go on living on meds my doc said it could be dry skin and slathering myself with lotion does not help either; I'm going crazy!!!
My daughter had a baby this week and the day after baby's birth she developed an itchy rash of red bumps on the back of her upper thighs and buttocks, with one thigh having raised welts like hives. I gave her some Claritin  which helped the raised welts go down, but the rash is still present. Switched her to Zyrtec after reading about it here, and will try some other remedies mentioned here too. She is soaking in an Epsom Salt bath now, and will try the sea salt bath too. How much sea salt to put in the bath?
How did you figure this remedy out? My daughter has had a dry rash on her face since her sons birth 18 months ago! Thank you we will try,Sherry