Maternal & Child Community
Joint pain during third trimester.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Joint pain during third trimester.

I am now 36 weeks pregnant (ALMOST THERE!!!!) and for the past couple weeks my joints have been increasingly painful and my limbs are falling asleep ALL the time. I dont remember feeling this way with my first pregnancy so I'm not sure how normal it is. I cant even squat down to pick something up without my legs and hips feeling like that are going to snap. I toss and turn all night because my whole body aches and falls asleep. I know some of it is probably caused by swelling but I was 10 times more swollen with Noah and I was never in this much pain.
Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do to help it and what causes it?
If the pins and needles/falling asleep feeling is in your hands, its probably something like carpal tunnel syndrome, which is very common in pregnant ladies.

You can take Tylenol for aches and pains, but run it all by your OB first.  This last month can be miserable.
I figured the falling asleep feeling was just that, carpal tunnel since I have read it's pretty common. I just dont get why my whole body feels achy.

Thanks Peek, you're right, it is miserable lol. BTW I go next week for the external version, wish me luck!
My first pregnancy was by far my easiest.  My other two got more and more painful.  By the end of my last pregnancy, I hurt all over and it hurt to walk.  Sometimes I couldn't walk.  My carpal tunnel gets worse also, and my hands and arms always fell asleep.  

Good luck on the external version!  When my first was breech, I opted not to have it done.  I just went with the c-section.  I can't remember all the reasons I chose not to, but it was after having a long talk with my doctor.  If I could do it over again, I may have tried to have it done.  Vaginal births would have been far easier I think!  My fingers are crossed that all goes well for you!
Houseofgirls- Well I'm glad I'm not going crazy lol it's nice to know it's a normal part of pregnancy. Some days it's so bad that when I get up from a seated position I walk hunched over for a few minutes before my joints loosen enough for me to stand up straight lol I look and feel like an old lady.

Thanks for the luck, my dr said he has done about a hundred versions and he has never had a problem. I trust him that he is doing the best for me and baby Evan. I am really nervous though.
Grose - I was JUST complaining about the exact same thing, my hands falling asleep and I didn't think it was pregnancy related. How weird! It drives me NUTS!
GRose--I am 34 weeks and am already feeling the same way.  Talked to my doc about it today and he said that it's very normal.  Says that pain in many women will increase with each pregnancy.  Sometimes I can't even get off the couch or walk.  Makes it that much more difficult running around after Anika.  
For a few weeks my hands have been killing me - my fingers hurt to bend and sometimes make a snapping sound. Lately, my wrists, knees, and toes are having the same pain! It's awful. I find cracking my knuckles helps (I never used to do this but I feel it's my only finger relief) and I get my DH to rub my hands sometimes -- it does the trick, but temporarily. I'm 39 weeks and will be induced on June 28-29 if my bub doesn't come sooner. I'm praying this pain goes away after birth!