Maternal & Child Community
Just curious how common miscarriage is after 10-11 weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi guys. I went for my 10 week u/s on Mon. and it looks like I still have a fetal HB of 171 and the fetus measures almost on target. Although I feel like I have a strong chance of miscarrying due to the bleeding and clots, I was just curious how common it is for women to m/c after they have almost reached the 12 week point. I haven't bled since last Tues., which lasted for that day and was followed by brown discharge for a week, but maybe I still have a slight chance? Last time I m/c'ed the fetus lived 2-3 weeks after the bleeding/clotting happened, so that is why I am so worried. Also, the last time I started bleeding in my 4th-5th week and this time it wasn't until I was 9 weeks. Thanks...
Hi Venus,
Sorry to hear you are going through this. I mc'd at about 6 weeks, and I know-it's awful. Although I am by no means a Dr, my understanding is that 1) once you see/hear the heartbeat, your chances are drastically less, and 2) your chances of mc after 12 weeks is also significantly less.
I wish that meant that there was no chance at all that you won't mc, but I will say this: you have positive signs! Keep giving this pregnancy the best chance you can. Eat well, take your vitamins, rest, and be kind to yourself. At least if heaven forbid you do mc, you will know in your heart that you did the best you could.
I hope your Dr is relaying some positive info to you with the negative. It seems that they are so worried about being sued that they put everything in "worst case scenario" You have zilch control over the outcome, but you can control your approach. Be positive.
You're in my thoughts are prayers. Hang in.
A hb of 171 is a very strong hb. My sister bled through her whole pregnancy and my niece is 2 1/2 now. I don't think you are going to m/c. They didn't reassure you at all with that h/b rate?
When you miscarried last time it was earlier right? You did see a heart beat with your first miscarriage at 9 weeks? I was just trying to figure out if you saw your heart beat at a later week this time. 171 is a really high heart beat....I don't mean that's bad by any means it's just high. With my daughter I think the highest I had was 156 and with this pregnancy the highest has been 145. But aren't the heart beats a lot higher the earlier you are in your pregnancy? Because I don't think I was ever given a heart rate until my 13th week u/s at least.I think you are going to be just fine....I know their are people that have seen a heart beat around 6 weeks and then miscarried but you are at 10 weeks already and the heart beat looks good and your done bleeding and everything still looks good I wouldn't worry. Yes I agree your chances of miscarrying are getting lower as the weeks pass..... They go down quite a bit after 13 weeks.....Good Luck!!!!
I hope this help.  I found this article on the web.  

"Most miscarriages start with vaginal bleeding which is initially slight and painless. This is called a threatened abortion, because the pregnancy is threatened by the bleeding. This bleeding is from the mother, and is not fetal blood. About half the time this stops spontaneously and results in no harm to the pregnancy. At this stage, the most useful test is an ultrasound scan (usually done with a vaginal probe). If a fetal heartbeat can be seen, this means that there is a 95 % chance that the pregnancy will proceed normally."
I miscarried the first time at 4-5 weeks, the 2nd was at 8 weeks, however, I didn't find out until week 12. The HB was a strong one last time as well and I heard it at week 6, 7, and 8... then at week 12 the u/s showed it stopped growing.
When I went to my first appt at 6wks, they did an u/s and saw the heartbeat. She told me there was little chance of having a mc after that. So I definately think there is less of a chance at 10-11wks with a heartbeat.

PeanutMom
My last miscarriage began when I was exactly 12 weeks along.  My earlier miscarriage was at 5-6 weeks.  However, my 12 week pregnancy did not ever include a check for the heartbeat.  Ironically, I began to bleed on the very day they were scheduled to look for the heartbeat at a regular appointment.  It's very rare to m/c after the 12 week mark, but it does happen.
Hey if it were me that were bleeding I would have them pull my progesterone levels!  I wouldn't be able to just sit and wait...  Although things sound fine I would call tomorrow and have them draw blood.  If they find that your levels are low, which is a HUGE reason for a lot of unexplained bleeding and m/c, then they can give you a supplement!

That's a long time to bleed??  see what your progesterone levels are.  if they are stable then like the other girls said it just be how your body deals with pregnancy.

Good luck!  momttc  :)
I have been very concerned about a possible miscarriage because the heartbeat was weak at my first ultrasound...however, I have not had any bleeding.  I talked to my mother about this, and she said that when she was pregnant with my younger brother (now age 30), she bled almost constantly for the first two months!!!  It sounds like you are far enough along that you are probably safe...good luck!!
I am a first time pregnant mom to be.I thought i was about 7weeks,and i had my first u/s yesterday.They said that everything looked good,and that my baby measured 6 weeks.He couldn't see the heart beat so he did a vaginal u/s and saw the heart beat,but it was 84bpm and he said that worried him.I have had no bleeding,and talked to the Dr and she didn't seem worried.I also talked to the nurse and she said that normal they don't look for the heart beat till at least 8 weeks.what do you guys think.I am so worried that i will lose the baby.
bethanyjeanne

I too am having the same problem. During my pregnancy I had a brown discharge(old blood) and was told by the DR not to worry. Two days ago I bled red blood, I thought the worst. I was quickly taken to my DR and given an u/s. The baby was OK. I advise you find out your blood type (you should probably already know.) I am O negative and my Husband is most likely to be positive. The baby might also be positive. This is for all the woman who are expecting or thinking about it. Your blood , if different, will build anibodies and attacks the baby's blood. A lot of problems, obviously, result b/c of this. You can be given a RhIG shot to prevent problems, like the one I experienced.  Maybe there are other reasons why you have been bleeding, but  please make sure this is not one of them.
I wish yo the best!

I had a subchoronic bleed. This is where there is a blood clot behind where the placenta attached to the wall of the uterus. I began bleeding at 6 weeks, then it stopped, then again at 10 weeks, then it stopped, Then again around 12.. i had 4 ultrasound and the baby was growing normally and had a strong heartbeat. At 13 weeks, i started bleeding again, and went to the dr.on that monday, the baby had a strong but a little bit faster heartbeat, i was still bleeding, they put me on bedrest and then on that thursday, i started labor and went to the doctor office and they told me, "its not a viable pregnancy".. so fine one day, then 3 days later, it had died. I was admitted to the hospital and they gave me something for the pain, and then i passed the baby about 2 hours later it was the worst thing i think i have ever gone through. this was in october and its now almost february and we want to try again. i feel like before my miscarriage, my breasts would get so sore and full (about an entire cup siz) before my period, but the past two cycles they haven't done that at all.... do the hormones and everything change a bunch after a miscarriage? good luck to all of those trying and those pregnant.. i was told that sometimes bleeding in pregnancy can be common, my cousin bleed for the majority of hers and delivered a healthy baby girl.. i guess everyone's bodys are different.. Good luck and stay strong..;)
I have had 3 miscarriages and i am now 6.5 weeks prego. My breast are still sore but i am scared i go for my first u/s march 12.....i am cramping a little off and on. and with every cramp i get scared
I am 11 weeks yesterday. I have had two m/c and two preemies.  I bled constantly with both of my daughters and they were both tiny when they were born. My first daughter was 4lbs10oz  she was six weeks early. Because of my history the doctor put me on progesterone supositories.  I have to have them until I am 13 weeks along.  I have been bleeding alot this time as well.  I wish all of you luck and you will be in my prayers but I have 2 perfect daughters and I have faith that all of you will succeed this time as well.  Good Luck!!!!  Summer

This is my first pregnancy and I am also very worried. I have had no bleeding and had 2 ultra sounds, one at 5 wks 2 days and one at 7 weeks. The babies heartbeat was detected and was 142 bpm, but the doc said there was a haemorage in my uterus. She wasn't worried, but i am. Is this normal? and what chances do i have of miscarriage after 8 weeks?
Good luck to you all :-)

Thanks, Nicky
Three weeks  ago, i m/c in my 11th week. I was doing great and suddenly started bleeding, went to the ER and found out i'm having miscarriage. Doctor's couldn't tell the reason and it was my first pregnancy.
I've not had any checkup and u/s upto 11 wks and my first appt was at the beginnning of my 13th week. Is this how it usually works? becaue i called my doctor couple times to get an early appt but they said its normal to have first checkup at the end of the 12 weeks unless you are having any problems such as spotting or bleeding which i didn't have until the day i found out i'm miscarrying.
Also the results showed that baby died in 8th week...i think there should be u/s done before 12th week. I just have to make sure i get checked early next time.
I wish good luck to everyon!
First miscarriage today at 11 weeks 6 days.  No symptoms of cramping or bleeding.  True shock to see there is no heartbeat.  I want to do anything to makesure this does not happen again.
im 11 weeks pregnant tomorro and this is my first pregnancy, although my pregnacy is going really well i am really scared im going to miscarry, i dont feel pregnant and have had no symtoms (symptoms).. could this mean my body isnt changing to be a mum or shouldnt i worry? please help me
tanya
x
I've read through so many of your stories.  If I can give a clue as to what to look for or expect for many of you, this is my story.
Mine was pretty standard i guess.  I was 11 weeks pregnant until I miscarried just a few nights ago. I saw my doctor the day before it happened and had mentioned some bleeding (dark) that I was concerned about.  She said not to worry since I hadn't had any spotting so far in my pregnancy.  She did say that if by chance the blood were to turn bright red accompanied by cramping to hit the ER.  Sure enough the next day it did.  Sitting in the ER waiting for my ultrasound, my cramps only got worse until the worst happened.
It was the worse experience I had ever been through but after alot of research, I learned that indeed it was for the best.  Miscarriage usually happen because of genetic defects, or a problem disagnosed by your own body.  Its a process of natural selection that your body knows best.  This really helped me through.  No doctor could comfort me until I got all the facts.  I've studied health care so I guess I wasn't surprised.  
BUT the good news is, when after you miscarry, the chance of you having a healthy, successful pregnancy once you try again is much greater.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel :)
Jenny
I was also 11 weeks pregnant and had a mc at about the same time you did.  I was absolutely devastated and still am.  I feel for all the woman who have posted a reply on this forum.  It was the most traumatically emotional experience any woman can go through.  Thank you for the words of encouragement and  positive thinking.  I hear a lot of people say mcs are common and they happen to 1 out of every 5 women.  Drs have told me that it's not anything you did but it's just the cells not splitting properly, but it's still heartbreaking.  It has been over two weeks since I've miscarried and it still brings tears to my eyes.  I will try to focus on the good things in my life and start over with a healthy body.  To all the women who are concerned with your first trimester and signs of bleeding.  You have done absolutely the best you can for your baby and mcs are out of your control.  It's a part of life and you just grow from it and be a stronger person.  From doing my research, there are two categories of pregnancies.  One, bleeding is normal for some pregnancies and two, bleeding leads to mcs.  To know which category you fall under will only be determined by medical tests.  Good luck to all and keep your heads up.  Perseverance will prevail and one day will will all have healthy happy babies.
Felicia  
I was 10 weeks and then on Sunday last week I started with light bleeding but it was instantly bright red, my first thoughts were panic. I Spoke to my sister-in-law who has had two beautiful baby boys, she advised me that this can be normal in early pregnancy....I wasnt convicnced so they took me to a & e on the Monday they felt my stomach and took blood, they referred me for a scan at the hospital on the Tuesday..when I went for the scan they could only see the pregnancy sack and the yolk but no fetus they said that it could be that the pregnancy is much earlier than i though and its too early to see anything, they said to get plenty of rest. a day later i passed a hugh clot and some more smaller ones along with severe stomach cramps so went to A & E they said that this was most likley the delivery of the rest of the pregnancy. I had another scan this morning to confirm everything had passed and indeed it had there was nothing to see, my blood tests from today came back that the pregnancy hormone was 2400 on Thursday and today (monday) its 200 so its on its way back to normal, i dont feel as if ive lost a baby as i never had chance to see it but i definately feel something....:) good luck to all in the present and future pregnancies
I was 11 weeks pregnant and about to go for my 1st scan the next day when I miscarried. I was devastated.
That was 3 years ago and im now 8 weeks pregnant and worrying! Although I must say I feel different this time. Sick, painful breasts which I didn't get last time.
I too think it was for the best having done a lot of reading up on miscarriage afterwards - at that stage it would have been some genetic abnormality and my body knew best and let it go. Saved me a lot a heartache in the long run I guess. Good luck everyone xxx
I am with you on all the fears. I was pregnant 1.2010 and at 6 weeks had some bleeding. My progesterone was low, and went on supplements. Limped along till almost 8 weeks when my HCG dropped,and 10 days later they did a D & C on me. THis time, I am just about 8 weeks. I have had 4 ultrsounds...the last at 7w 3 d and showed a heart rate of 160 and a 10 mm baby. I still fear MC big time, as the few syptoms (symptoms) I have had , have left and it is another 4 days till my next ultrasound. They are monitoring me that way, so that if I MC, they can be 100% sure and schedule a D & C.... Those of you that MC in 11 and 12 weeks make me realize I won't relax till I am 6 months along....
I found out I was pregnant & I went for my first scan at 5th week.Dr confirmed my pregnancy was in within the womb.Dr asked me to go back for the next scan at 7th week to see heartbeat of baby.But when I went back on the 7th week,it shows my baby has stopped growing at 6th weeks.no signs,no symtoms (symptoms) at all!...After 8mths,i should now be 12 weeks pregnant.Went for my last scan 2weeks ago & baby is 10w2d and everything seems ok,and I managed to see the heartbeat!!.But yet,I'm still worried because of my previous silent  m/c (with no symtoms (symptoms) at all).
I hope all if u well & good luck!

I went for a check-up when I was approximately 7 weeks pregnant, and the doc spotted fetal h/b of 136+/-. I had brown spots, and it goes on for almost a week, 2 days ago, it followed by bleeding, but not heavy. Went for another follow-up visit with another doc, performed another scan, but the doc said the fetus measure only about 6 weeks plus and could not detect h/b. Also I experience light discomfort/cramp on my lower abdominal. My heart dropped when the doc said that the fetus may not be alive. Could this means that I had a miscarriage already? Am really, really worried at this point as there don't seem to be a sign of the bleeding to stop.
My first pregnancy I had a misscarriage at 9 weeks and 2 months later I was preganant again. I had a healthy baby boy who is now turning 11 in a month. Last year I got pregnant for the third time and made it through to 24 weeks with everything perfect and healthy and I was going to have a little girl. I went for my routine checkup and found out the heart bear was no longer there so they had to induce me and deliver her. I had a stillbirth and was never given an answer for what happened. Now 10 months later I am 11 weeks prego again. I am so scared this is going to happen to me again. I learned not to listen to the whole safe after 12 weeks things because as far as Im concerned anything can happen at any time. I am trying to be extra cautious and do the best I can and hope everything goes well this time.
Hi i am 11 weeks & 2 days pregnant. I lost a greeny small bit of discharage last week before i found out i was pregnant. I went to the doctors.. Got a test and it confermed i was pregnant. Doctors got me in for emergency scan yesterday.. Babys heart was beating and showed i was 11 weeks pregnant. What is chance of miscarage at this stage im scared and only young????