Maternal & Child Community
Just found out I was 5 months pregnant!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Just found out I was 5 months pregnant!

I just found out a week ago I was pregnant...and I am already 5 months along!!  Now I would like someone to clear up some fears I have.  I know all the "bad" things that you should not do while you are pregnant and all the "good" things that you should do while you are pregnant, however if you don't know, then it's a different story.  So, I have drank alcohol the whole time.  Anytime I have drank, I have also smoked.  I have taken Xanax numerous times for anxiety attacks.  I have taken my birth control pills, I've used my topical acne medication that contains salicylic acid.  I have a cat that I have petted and rubbed many, many times and I've also changed his littler box this whole time, of course no mask or nothing.  So, with all of this being said, I know that my baby has still grown and my ultrasound, (I've had 1) looked fine.  Do you think it's possible my baby will turn out ok, or should I be worried with all the negative things that I've done??  Thank you all for your time!
Are you a nurse as your name implies?  Did you continue to have periods all this time?  Just wondering why you didn't realize you were pregnant for so long.

And, yes, you have certainly engaged in many activities that are best to steer clear of when pregnant.  But, the US looked fine.  Some people intentionally engage in drinking and smoking, etc., even though they know they are pregnant.  Often, by the grace of God, they end up with healthy babies. Often they do not.  

What does your doctor say?  You must be totally honest about everything you have done so that he/she can best care for you and your baby.

You have 4 more months to be healthy, eat right, don't drink/do drugs, get plenty of rest, take your vitamins -- everything you should do when pregnant.  You can't go back and undo what's done, but you can control the next 4 months.  The baby's structure is already determined -- organs, limbs, etc., so hopefully the US would highlight any potential problems.

I will pray for the health of you and your baby.  Good luck.
Nurse,  you really need to talk to your doctor about this.  You don't say how much you drank,  whether it's a couple drinks a couple times a week or many drinks every day.  Xanax is not to be taken by pregnant women.  Depending on what type of birth control pill you are on,  it can have detrimental affects on the baby's development of genitalia.  

I think you can discount the cat and the acne medication as being much more minor exposures,  and if the smoking was minimal,  that probably won't be a big factor.

Best wishes.   You really need to talk to your doc.
To clear things up, I just graduated LPN school in August and I'm continuing on with my RN starting this September.  In March, I wanted to quit taking my BCP, so I stopped for about 1 month. (Obviously when I got pregnant)  However, then I went into this deep depression, which I know now was due to the pregnancy, but we did'nt know that at the time.  So my doctors told me to go back on my BCP to see if that helped my psychologically and it appeared to.  I had a pregnancy test May 3rd and it was negative.  (I should have already been pregnant at that time, so it was a false negative)  As far as not having periods, since I stopped taking the pill for about a month, my doctor told me it would probably just take awhile for my body to adjust to the change of going off and back on the pill.  So they told me not to worry about not having a period.  So, that's why I had no reason to believe I was pregnant.  I only decided to seek help last week because of the "bump" I was noticing.  Also, I have not seen a doctor yet, my first appointment is in the morning.  But I have been worried this whole week about all the "bad" things I have done to him and how I've not done any of the "good" things you are supposed to do early on in the pregnancy.  Hope this clears things up!
Nurse,

You do NOT have to explain yourself to anyone.  Sorry if I made you feel that way...it's just that understanding symptoms or lack of them helps understand your situation.

Plenty of people have had drinks and smoked before they found out they were pregnant.  Usually it's not for 5 months, though.  And it sounds like you've had a lot going on and plenty of reason to not "realize" it.  You can't turn back the clock.  

Who did the US if you haven't seen a doctor?  A lot of sonographers don't comment w/o the doctor.

Please be totally honest with the doctor -- he/she will NOT judge you -- but needs to know all potential causes for concern.

I do not know how "confident" they can tell you everything is okay just by US given the exposures you've had, but I hope the doctor can reassure you that everything is okay and then you can concentrate on being healthy for the remainder of your pregnancy.

Congrats on graduating and good luck with RN school this fall!  Get plenty of rest and study hard.

I wish you the best!
it's gonna be hard to tell whats going to happen, smoking and drinking can harm the development of an unborn child. but i dont understand how u didnt know all this time u were pregnant?! didnt ur clothing fit u differently? u should have been missing ur period and all the other changes ur body goes through? and movements, have u felt any movements? thats so odd, But stranger things have happened. good luck and congrats in ur pregnancy.
Wow! If your ultrasound looked good try not to worry, stress isn't good for you or baby. When are you due? Congrats!
My Primary doctor just called in an order to an outpatient imaging place and that's where I had my US.  We actually were thinking along the lines of a growing cyst or something of that sort...not a baby!! (But I'm much happier with the baby!)
My husband is a coach and when I was pregnant with my first one of the female coaches was telling me the story of her first pregnancy... she was about 5 months along when she found out!!  She said she wasn't trying to get pg and she was on birth control and everything...  she continued to take her birth control-  she went to her doc a number of times and told them she thought she was pregnant but tests kept coming back negative-  it was weird, but happened to her- at about 5 months they did an ultrasound because her belly was growing and low and behold she was pregnant-  her baby as just fine and I believe a senior this year!!  So I wouldn't worry too much, just talk to your doc about it and hopefully that can put your mind at ease...  

wonderme--  my first OB doc 5 years ago did not have u/s equipment so they would write a perscription/referal, for lack of knowing exactly what it was, to see a group that just did ultrasounds and then you'd go see your doc the next day and he would have images from the ultrasound the day before...  I didn't like it very much, but I think a lot of doctors do it that way...  my doctor now does them himself,  I love it... he is right there to tell me everything first hand!  but that is probably why her doc wasn't there...  anyway...  I just know that from first hand experience...  

Nurse,  best of luck to you, and congratulations!!
Did u do a pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy, how did u find out u were pregnant? Fingers crossed for baby!
Our little ones are amazingly resilient!  Congrats on your pregnancy!

I didn't find out with #1 till I was 4 months pregnant, and didn't find out with #2 till I was 4 months pregnant (both times I had negative tests up to a month previous to the positive ones).  So hey!  It happens.  With Lilith (my baby I just had) I found out at 5 1/2 weeks!  Odd huh?
In the previous posts, I have answered most of your questions.  Just thought I would let you know that.
Keep us updated and best of luck to you, let us know your due date tomorrow...Congrats!
There is no sense in stressing about what you did prior to finding out. You only have control over now.  Eat healthy, take your vitamins, get plenty of rest, and drink a TON of water....
Back in the day, people were doing this all the time...there were no hpt's.  My mother in law's guide to pregnancy suggested no more than 10 cigarettes a day, and no  more than 3 alcoholic beverages.  She had 6 kids, and they are all fine.    Relax, and enjoy the remainder of your pregnancy!  Congrats!  This baby was meant to be!
I didn't show until I was about 6 months pregnant and even then it was only noticable to those who knew and were looking for my baby bump. And baby movement at 5 months were barely noticable at all. Had I not known I was pregnant, I'd just have thought I had a major gas bubble problem! lol

The rest of your questions she had already answered....just wanted to say that I didn't find her situation to be odd. I think things like that happen more than you'd imagine!