Just had my membranes stripped. OUCH.
Just had my midwife appt. and she asked if i wanted to do the stripping procedure now instead of next week (when i was supposed to. Ofcourse i agreed! still very anxious to go into labour.  I have to be honest.. it hurt like hell. It really did. She told me i was 1cm and that my cervix was 1cm thick (a normal cervix is 3 inches. I was kinda disapointed that i have only dialated 1 cm. Was hoping it was more.  Lets hope this brings on labour.

Any one had their membranes stripped and go into labour soon after?
What is this and why do they do it?  Just curious...I've heard a lot about it lately and didn't have it done with my DD.
I did and I had my daughter about 6 hours later!! I don't seem to be the norm, though. I did have bloody show and cramping afterwards. I was 10 days overdue, also. It worked well!! I nearly had her in our car! Good luck!!
I had it done and then had my dd the next morning.  I had lots of bloody stringy membrane goup come out and alot of cramping.  It was the 2nd time having it done though.  First time it didnt work so dr. tried again 1 week later and it sure did the trick.
And why would you choose to have this done???  Just curious not trying to be rude.  I really don't know....is this if you are past your due date?
Wait, I had that done but I thought it was called "stretching".  I thought stretching and stripping of membranes were two different things, but from what you described I guess I had my membranes stripped?!?!? !  I had the doctor insert fingers and run it around and around my cervix...I thought stripping was where they scraped away a few layers of the cervix.  I'm confused!

Regardles...I had it done two days in a row.  I did nothing more than bring on some slight contractions.  :(
Im 39w5d and my baby has had some trouble engaging. While he has 'engaged' he is still alittle high up and should have dropped by now. Doc thinks my pelvis could be too small or that he may be a big baby. He wants to see if labour descends him..  Seeing as i am so close to my due date, the procedure is safe.  I know alot of women that get it done every week from 36 weeks until it works or right up until their due date.  I dont want him to get any bigger, im already worried that ill have complications due to his largness and my small frame.. but really you dont need a reason to do it. It can take up to a few times to work (if it does) so you can get it done when your 37-38 weeks to try and reduce the possibility of being over due.  The doc will only do it if he thinks your ready for labour and if its suitable?    Has your midwife/ doc never discussed this with you?
Nope, never heard of it.

With my daughter I went into labor the day before my due date and had early hours on my due date.  Never mentioned anything else except that if I did not have the baby by 2 weeks past my due date they would induce me.

Now, with this baby.  I will need to be induced medically as I am on lovenox (a blood thinner ) for a blood clotting disorder.  Had my first injection today.

They will need me to stop the lovenox (from what I've been told) 24-48hrs prior and then induce me.  This is to have a more controlled labor.
Membrane stripping is the 'naturel' procedure they use for starting labour. Its not like being induced where they admit you to the hospital and give you the drip and the gel. Instead its a 5 minute procedure my midwife performed at my appt. today.

Basically she inserts 1 or 2 fingers inside your cervix and stretches around the bag of waters to try and 'loosen' it away from the cervix. The action is supposed to make my body release the oxytocin hormone which starts labour.

Theres no guarentee on its effectivness and it bloody hurts alot! i nearly cried. I had it done about 10 hours ago now and ive been alot more crampy than before and my vagina feels alittle tender. If nothing else happens i have to have it done again next week, this time by the doctor. Which freaks me out abit as i find the docs more rough than the midwives!!
Its optional to have it done and works for some and does absolutely nothing for others.. but at this point im willing to try anything!

If anything happens ill let you know!!
Yeah stripping and stretching are the same thing. Different dr's refer to them differently but its the same thing.  I had it done yesterday and it made me crampy but today i dont really have anymore cramps.. maybe it didnt really work. Im due to have it again on weds..  Its so painful, i hope its not a waste of time!
I actually had my membranes stripped this past Friday and now it is Monday.  I'm actually due this coming Saturday.  was 39 weeks and only 2 cm dilated at that time.  It wasn't too painful, mainly very uncomfortable.   I have had spotting, lost most of the mucous plug and mild cramping since I got them stripped.  I still have some spotting and cramping today and more braxton hicks contractions.  I know it must be working but I'm crossing my fingers our little girl will be arriving soon.  My next appointment isn't until Friday so I'm really hoping I go into labor before then.  
Umm, I had it done 3 times. Went into labor a week after the 3rd. Totally wasn't worth the pain, but I'm sure I'll do it again this time because towards the end...you're just too darn anxious! lol
I had it done when i was at about the same progress as you.  1 cm etc. I was 10 days early, but they were wanting to induce due to preeclampsia and i didn't want pitocin unless absolutely necessary.  For me it wasn't that uncomfortable.  I had it done when the baby was high and i was a 1-2.  Had some period like cramping contractions that night which stopped.  Went in the next day and I was a 6!!! and baby was very low.  They stretched/stripped membranes again and I was in labor within the hour.  It was a fantastic birth experience.  Hopefully you will experience the same!!! Good luck!!
I know there are many good reasons to be induced but I just want to share something.

My mom's doctor stripped her membranes without her consent when she was 2 weeks away from her due date. My sister was a factor H blue baby and had to be in the hospital for two weeks. She had to have spinal taps, was on breathing machines and had to have blood drawn every few hours. She had a lot of problems and had sooo many procedures done in those two weeks, she was a very sick baby. I dont think you should EVER be put into labor if there isn't a VERY good reason to, babies will come when they are ready.
Also, the vernix on my sister was about 3/4 of an inch thick, she was obviously not ready, sometimes due dates are wrong.
Im 37 weeks 2 days and had my membranes stripped today arround 130 this afternoon..
i have been in early labor for 6 days not.. when i went into the doc i was 2 cm dialted and 80% effaced..
before i went in my contractions were irregular and nor painfull at all..
Right now i am sitting here having contrations, and i am feeling pain in my lower adbomen like horrable period cramps..
so id say it workd for me lol.. i will post again and let you know when i have the baby..

hope my lil experience helps you some..

good luck!!
I am 39 weeks 3 days along with my 2nd pregnancy, and my doctor did the stretching at today's appointment. I had my first daughter 5 days early, and now I am hoping this one comes early too. It was very uncomfortable, and I am feeling nothing! I guess my body is not ready to have the baby. I know when your body / baby is ready there are some hormones that are released, so I guess I am just not ready.
I am due in 8 more days. I have dropped. I was a cm dailated last thrusday. The doctor striped my membrane. I have been having braxton hicks evry night since then. I have lost my mucus plug before I was stripped. I also started lactating today. I clean our entire house, incudling the top of the frigde and the garage. I am tempermetal all the time. I know this baby will come when it is ready but I wish it would hurry. I am wonder how long it will be because of everything and all the signs I am having. The baby has even been head down for the last month. Any idea?
i went to the doc last monday and i was 2 cm and the head was right there she wanted to strip my membranes but i said no i was to scared i go again tommorow going to see if they can check me again wondering if i should have it dun this time ??/