Maternal & Child Community
Just told have MTHFR mutation....anybody have info?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I just received the results of lab work done after fetal demise at 18 weeks and D&E on February 3, 2009.  I was told that I have MTHFR with both mutations.  This is a coagulation disorder where one is at a greater risk for blood clots, stroke, heart attack.  Apparently, this increases miscarriage chances.  Treatment:  need to take baby aspirin daily, B-6, B-12, massive folic acid, niacin.  If get pregnant again-continue the above and add 2xdaily lovenox injections.
In addition, a Protein S deficiency was found.  The same treatment above will work.
I am wondering if anybody else knows anything or has experienced this.  In my googles last night, ran into different info.
My doctor is certain that the cause of my last pregnancy ending was a cord accident, not related to this new finding.  
We had made our minds to try again as soon as I have one cycle.  With this new information, I'm getting worried.  Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.

Teena
First off, I am so sorry for your loss.  Before you start ttc again, take the time necessary to greive and heal...it will make a world of difference.  

That being said, I have recurrent m/c and homozygous MTHFR mutuation.  I have PCOS as well, so my case is not exactly the same as yours....but here is what worked for me.  I had my homocysteine levels checked - the MTHFR mutuation doesn't tell you anything but the homocysteine levels do - they are what the MTHFR affect, they are what can cause increased risk of cardiovascular issues.  I was put on baby aspirin (up until delivery), extra folic acid (was on Folgard for a while - that has the extra B6 & B12) in addition to my regular prenatal vit.  But because of my PCOS, I was also on Metformin thru 13 weeks and progesterone from 3 dpo thru 12 weeks.  My DD is now almost 9 months old.  It worked for us, but everyone is different.  Have your homocysteine levels checked, if they are fine, you are probably ok with the baby aspirin and extra folic acid.  

If your OB thinks the reason for your loss was cord accident, don't read into other things, it probably was a cord accident.  All of my losses were by 8 weeks tops, so from my experience I would think if there were any kind of clotting issue, it would have affected you sooner than 18 weeks.  Good luck to you and keep us posted!
Thanks so much for commenting.  It is scary to feel so alone, but I know that I am not.  Did you not have to do the lovenox injections?  That scares me.  I've heard that they are painful:(  I will definitely get my levels checked.

I do believe the cord loss with this pregnancy.  I had a miscarriage on Oct 29 2007 at 13 weeks that the cause is unknown.  Since it was my first, no testing was done.  It looked normal in development for gestational age.  I also have 2 healthy boys ages 10 & almost 7 with no problems .  So I guess I was very lucky with those two.  Am waiting for my doctor to call so I can ask my long list of questions.

Thanks again!
Teena
hi, i have 2 healthy boys 17 and 9 but just had 2 mc in may and oct. after lots of testing i was told i had a blood clotting disorder, MTHFR C677T. i have been on extra folic acid, prenatal vits and baby aspirin since my last mc. i just got a BFP last friday!! i now am on premetrium, which is progesterone, prenatal vits, stopped the baby aspirin because today i started lovenox inj. my dr gave me my first one. i will have to take them twice a day thruout my whole preg. hopefully this will help! my levels are rising good, fri was at 27 and yesterday was 203. i go back fri to have them checked again. he said once a week i will go. im crossong my fingers!
I DO!!!  I had 2 miscarriages at about 5 weeks and went through testing and they found I have the same as the previous poster - c677t - I was given baby aspirin and have a healthy son.  i can even say the MTHFR - the whole name!  My internist said they were going to make sure I take extra folate with any future pregnancies. I take and took a prenatal and I love orange juice so hopefully that helped. My son is just perfect.

my dr said this is one of those things that maybe even 10 years ago we wouldn't have known...  I know of women what had several healthy kids and more than one miscarriage - perhaps could have been the same as what we have...  One will never know.  Take some baby aspirin and hopefully you'll have success!

I was also put on progesterone - 200mg oral 1xday until I was about 12/13 weeks just as a precaution - I don't think I needed it but the aspirin I'll take probably forever.

My internist also said that she wouldn't recommend taking hormonal birth control - that those often increase the chances of clots and with the MTHFR and clotting they two might not be a good mix.  FYI.