Maternal & Child Community
Labor & delivery questions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Labor & delivery questions

I have 2 questions. I had my daughter 2 months ago and i was having problems while delivery. I went to the hospital 4cm dilated at 8pm. I was completely fine happy that the day is finally here( she was 2 days overdue). I started having more pain so i asked for an epidural. At 10 pm i was 6 cm dilated and then i stopped dilating. I asked for a doctor to break my water and the nurses told me i have to wait till 6am because none of the doctor that were on call want to come in. Is this correct to let me suffer for 8 hours and nobody break my water?? The nurses felt sad for me and tried to open it and they told me it was forbidden. At 6am the doctor came and broke my water and 3 hours later i was fully dilated. I would really like to know if that's okay for a hospital to do that?
My second question is if the doctor is allowed to turn off your epidural without telling me and my ok? I was begging for 2 hours to get pain medication and nobody gave me something. I have never felt so much pain in my life ( after i was 10cm dilated the nurse waited to long to call the doctor so i had to wait an hour to push and my contraction went away so they had to give me pitocin).
I am still very upset about my experiece at the hospital and there is a lot more things that happened but i would really like to get answers to my 2 questions because i ask myself all the time. It really helped to talk about it. Thanks for taking your time reading this. I appreciate it.
With my first baby, I was 30 hours of induced labour before anyone broke my water, and the epidural I had was giving me minimal relief, I could still feel everything, it just wasn't as bad.
With my 2nd baby, the nurse said she could "oops...PINCH" my water if I wanted her too....  I SAID YES!!!!  I know she wasn't "SUPPOSE" to, but I wanted her to!
with my 3rd the nurse called my dr. to the hospital, and he came in (sorry to say, but right away)  (he is such a compassionate man) and was almost NOT ABLE to break it.
I am sorry things didn't go as well as you had hoped, but I do hope you are recovering quickly and enjoying your new bundle of joy!
First, I'd like to say that I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. Some dr's don't break the water until they see that you are in a good labor patern and making progress because of the risk of infection once the water is broken and the baby should be born within 24 hours. There is also some that believe that the water puts extra pressure on the cervix and helps in dilation as well. Also, the baby's head has to be very well applied to the cervix or the cord can slip down and prolapse before the baby and be potentially fatal. And, if you are GBS +, then the dr's I've been around won't break your water until very late in labor if at all.Many different factors play into it.

The anesthesiologist is in charge of the epidural and the babies are the priority to everyone. The longer you labor, the more stress on the baby. So, yes, they can turn it off so that you can push the baby out. Otherwise, some woman don't feel the urge and can't push the right muscles. Some women do very well, others are more sensitive to it.

It's a good idea to get as much info from your dr on his/her typical standards before you go into the hospital so you know what to expect. Congrats on your baby and best wishes.
TMV is 100% right.  
Help been in labor for 22 hrs. But im not progressing. In MASSIVE PAIN. experiance anyone??