Maternal & Child Community
Labor/Induction Question...PEEK?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Labor/Induction Question...PEEK?

My sister went into preterm labor at 27 weeks and was put on Brethine. She stopped the brethine at 35 weeks (so almost 3 weeks ago). She has been having contractions since 27 weeks, so this has been going on for 10 weeks now since she is now 37 weeks. ANYWAYS, she is having contractions every 5 minutes and has been for two weeks now. She lost her mucous plug last wednesday. Yet, her contractions are not developing into actual labor and her water has not broke. The nurse during her NST commented on the frequency of her contractions, but my sister told her it has been like this for weeks. So, my question is, how long can a person go having contractions every 5 minutes before the baby gets stressed out??? I can't believer her doctor has not induced her yet to get her body going. I am worried because she has been having contractions for so long, I am worried about how it will affect the baby. She was checked 2 weeks ago and was dialated to 2, 50%, -3, and will be checked again this coming up tuesday. Does anyone have Any experience with labor not progressing despite constant/consistent contractions? Any advice on your experience would be great!
i dont want to sound scary, but i was looking on youtube the other day and there was this video..i have no idea how i got to it...but she should push to get the baby out... i mean she is 37 weeks.. she has kept it in long enough.. but thats my personal opinion...anyways as scary as this sounds this lady had the same thing happen and they stopped the contractions.. her water broke, they put her on bedrest, contractions began again she was 36 weeks and they stopped the contractions for 2 days and it cost her her babys life...they were worried the baby would be underweight and the baby was 8lbs something.. that was just heartbreaking...the only difference is her water ended up breaking...peek should have some good info.. i think she may be working out or something.. i seen something in her post earlier... i wish your sister and her baby the best of luck.. what has the ER said? cant she call a dr on call???
Well, this has just been going on for a few weeks now, and the doctor has told her the baby is about 7 pounds, and that the baby is running out of room. I just have no idea why the doctor is letting her go day after day having contractions every 5 minutes. Granted, they are not the strongest contractions in the world, on the monitor when she is not having a contraction the numbers run about 2 or 3, but during the contraction it peaks at about 45 and stays that way for a few seconds and then goes back down to low numbers. Brittany says she has pretty much gotten used to the contractions since they happen so frequently but it has me freaked out. Last week, they were doing paper work to prepare for admitting her and doing a c-section because the baby's heart rate dropped to 93 a few times and was only running about 128 when it normally runs about 150. But the doc told her to drink a lot of water and they sent her home. I am a nervous wreck lol I just have no idea why the doc is letting this go!
My friend had similar situation. She started contracting at 22 weeks with first dd and at 28 weeks with DS was on bedrest, and brethine too. Both she went into labor with at 39 weeks. It is risky to induce at 37 weeks unless she has serious medical complications. She would be more likely to have a c-section, baby more likely to have lung issues and feeding issues. My friend had a difficult time as the contractions would keep her up at night and she was so tired and had been through the rollercoaster of bedrest and planning for a premie. Your sister will go into hopefully soon, now if the baby's heartrate is worrisome on the monitor that would be a different story. How often is she getting monitored?
She has an NST every tuesday. This week the baby looked okay, last week was a different story though, although they contributed it to her not drinking enough water!
Not drinking enough water can cause contractions. I don't think not drinking enough would cause heart decelerations on a fetus though.
You can have contractions like that, and it can be perfectly normal.  Most hospitals will not permit elective inductions prior to 38 weeks.  

If she was sent home, no doubt the tracing was reassuring overall.  There can be slight dips quite normally, and they don't mean a thing.  It depends on so many things, the timing of the dips, how long it went down for, how long it took to come back up...so many things.

But contractions alone are not a reason to induce someone.   If the baby, overall, is tolerating the contractions well as documented by the NST's, then the doctors judgement should prevail as to when the baby should be born.

Thanks...I am just really worried overall. Brittany (my sister) is getting so worn out from everything....I just hope the baby comes soon!
I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of your sister.

Last October I was in 'early labor' at least that is what my Drs said for 2 weeks.

I had contractions from my 35 week every 5 minutes until my 38th week when Jake decided to arrive 10 days early.
It was exhausting to say the least.

They never let up or intensified...just every 5 minutes.  Painful but tolerable.

I'm saying prayers that she'll find a way to be comfortable.
I remember, Deanne.  Are you still thinking of having another one?  LOL!
LOL -
I am 90% sure we are waiting until next year now!!

I don't think I'm ready for that again.

If I could just have another child without the pregnancy and even the first 2 months....LOL.

Wish I could convince DH to adopt.
Thanks for the advice and concern ladies. I talked to Brittany today and she said she slept all day. Each day she sounds worse and worse....I really think she is getting worn out. I just hope it comes soon so she has the energy to push lol....I will keep you guys posted! I hope the baby comes very soon!