Maternal & Child Community
Labor Questions/stripping membranes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Labor Questions/stripping membranes

How long does it take to go into labor if a dr strips your membranes?  I have been very EAGER to have this baby.  That last few weeks go by like MONTHS.
When my midwife stripped my membranes she told me it could be up to 6 days.........

My contractions got stronger before I even got home and I had my son two days later.
I figure it worked for me!!!!!

Good Luck,
Vikki
my doctor stripped my membranes and it did not work.  i went over my due date by 1 week and was induced.  my ob's don't let you go past 41 weeks.  don't want to be a downer, just want you to know all the possibilities.  i have heard it can work wonders as it did with vikki.
My sister's ob (who is my ob also) did this for her and she went into labor the next day.
I think it is different with everyone, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think the women that say it was days later probably would have went into labor anyway without the stripping.

How is yout back/Tailbone pain?  Mine went away again, but I wouldn't be suprised if it comes back.  Hang in there the last few weeks are miserable.  I will be starting my seventh month on Wednesday.  Excited to be in the last trimester finally, although I know time is going to drag.
Missy- Tailbone pain is gone THANK GOD!!!  It was so bad.  I really think it was the position of the baby.  If I sleep on my left side I can feel him/her dig into my back on that same side...likewise if it was the right side.  I am so ready to have this baby.  

My dr will not let me go over my due date.  She is a very cautious dr...you guys would love her.  I have had a total of 7 US and some of them were for no reason.  She said that my cervix is very soft....is that good news???  Does that mean that things can progress fast if I started to dialate?
Softening of your cervix is a great sign, however that does not mean that if you start to dilate you will go fast.  Softening of the cervix has to occur in order for you to begin dilation.  The three key words, as taught in my Lamaze Class, to look for is Effacement, Dilation and station.  Effacement is how thin your cervix is, dilation is how many cm, and station is the position of the babys head. If your cervix is softening that is a good sign but that just makes way for a "normal" labor.
I have a friend who had her membranes stripped 2 days after her due date.  She went home and basically cried herself to sleep because she was cramping and inpain.  She said it hurt soooo bad.  She had been contracting and was dilated to 1cm at the time.  It was 5 days before her water broke after that.  Even then they had to give her Pitocin to regulate/strengthen the contractions.  SO I guess it doesn't always work, but can for some people.
Also, my cervix has been soft since 31 weeks (I am now 38 weeks).  I have dilated to almost 5cm., but it's been a slow process.  Your cervix has to soften, but that doesn't mean things will progress quickly from here on. However, some people don't do anything until labor begins, and they soften, efface, and dilate in a matter of hours instead of weeks/months like me.
Good luck!  I'm right there with you for timing, and I know how anxious you are.  Hopefully, we can both share good news soon on here.
The humidity here in boston is just killing me.  Its not so much that it is hot...its the sticky feeling that is bothering me.  Every week has flown by until a few weeks ago. I know I have to be more patient but I guess what I am feeling is normal.
I love Boston.  I've been there a few times and had such a great time!
Anyway, what you are feeling is normal, if you mean being anxious to have the baby in your arms instead of in your belly.  You could be really close, who knows!  I know it's easier said than done (because I keep having to tell myself the same thing), but hang in there.  We've made it this far.  I'm being induced in 2 days!  And it's not a day too soon considering the pain I am dealing with. I am having difficulty even walking.  And there's so much pressure on my rectum, I keep thinking I'm giving birth out of my butt.
At least we are close. :)  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
I have a question for you...since you are due right when I am.  Does your baby get the Hiccups a lot? I know they say (books) that if you get them more than four times within 24 hours it is bad.  Well today is the first time that he/she has had the hiccups within 2 hours of eachother.  Have you had this??
A doctor who "doesn't let anyone go over their due date" is beyond cautious.

Inducing anyone who gets to their due date can lead to a lot of unnecessary C/sections.  With appropriate monitoring and fetal surveillance, a NORMAL pregnancy can and often does last to 42 weeks.  Many healthy, normal cervixes are not quite ready for labor when the magic "40 week" mark hits.  Waiting a week could mean the world in terms of your delivery experience.

Just my 2 cents.  I am totally disheartened by the rise in C/Sections that is occuring in this day and age.  Many could have been prevented.

As for membrane stripping, it is a legitimate technique that often works.  Notice I said often, not always.  Worth a try if your cervix is already dilated and soft.  

Hang in there, and good luck!

Thanks for your info.

Do you know anything about excessive hiccups???  Is it true that to many episodes are bad?
My mini-rag on inductions does not include your personal experience!

You are widely dilated, have been having contractions for days, and have been running a low grade fever.  Many would have induced you long before this!

It's just the whole attitude that is becoming so prevalent in OB these days, that 40 weeks is an iron fence that should not be breached.  It makes me sad.  There is so much intervention in pregnancies these days.  The medical community has taken over childbirth.  Women are not qualified to birth in their own time, the way they choose.  

Again, not a slam on anyone.  Just my personal belief system.  Should have been a midwife.
Nina - Sorry it took me so long to respond, I haven't been able to get on this website for hours.  My baby gets the hiccups quite often, at least a few times a day.  My DD did also and she was fine.  Sometimes when she gets them, they go on for a very long time.  It's weird because with her being so low (fully engaged), I feel them way below the bikini line (not that I have a bikini line at this point).  But it does feel very strange to get twitches WAY down there.

Christie - I knew you weren't referring to me.  I didn't take offense to it at all.  I know what you mean about too many c-sections.  My dr. refused to induce me with my first baby until I was 9 days late, and only then because I was 100% effaced and dilated to 5cm (sound familiar - I have a definite pattern going).  He said that too many first baby inductions end in c-sections.  But as luck would have it (which my dr. predicted) my water broke 5 hours before I was supposed to go in and be induced, so it didn't matter anyway.
Thanks Christie.

I noticed that someone else posted above about the same issue.  If it happens again tonight I think I will call my dr tomorrow just to see what she says.

Thanks again!
Gina
I am so with you on that!!! Too many c-sections!!!

Nina,
An slight increase in fetal hiccuping is not generally a danger sign.  It is not something we typically monitor or ask patients to even pay attention to.  Actually, hiccuping is a pretty good prognostic sign of a healthy baby.

Having said that, any SUDDEN OR UNUSUAL in your unborn baby's movements should be taken seriously.  If the hiccuping this often is something that is very different for your baby, is happening all the time, or just plain worries you, I'd give the doctor a call and just see what she says.  

Good luck!
I completely agree there can be to much medical intervention when it comes to labor and delivery.  I personally think that some doctors are looking for any reason to induce for their own selfish reasons, because that way they can better plan their schedule and not have so many of those late night/early morning/weekend deliveries.

Yes, Christie you are right I think you should have been a midwife! It was funny you said that because I have been thinking that same thing since joining this forum way back in August.
I agree that drs should let nature take its course.  If  a patient needs a little help right before the due date like stripping membranes I really dont think that would be considered induction.  Admitting to the patient to the hospital for no reason is ridiculous.  Although I have to say that I do believe that many still births can be prevented if they never went over the 40 week mark.
If you remember back in May I had a very close friend whose baby was stillborn at 37 weeks, they have since done the autopsy and have no conclusive findings for what happened except they noted her lungs were filled with water. The cord was also wrapped around her neck on delivery, but again the OB involved in this case said it had no bearing on her being stillborn.

Well, because this hit so close to home I talked to my doctor and she said that there is often times no medical explanation for stillbirths and with the majority of these cases there is nothing that can be done to prevent them. She also said even with medical technology in this day and age the stillbirth rate has not changed since the 1950s, I think her point was if it was meant to be then it is going to happen no matter what the circumstances. I also asked my doctor what her opinion was about the cord wrapping around the neck and she said that she would estimate in 50% of births the cord is wrapped around the baby's neck with no adverse outcome. Even with cord issues, for example Andij and the huge knot her little guy had, it seems that most babies have no problems.

I don't know just food for thought.  Sure is scary to think about though.  I guess from conception to birth through life we never quit worrying about the worst possible scenarios happening to our little ones and we try to do anything we can to prevent them, even if that means inducing exactly at 40 weeks.
The cord events are very scary.  The thought of what can happen scares me to death.  However, that can happen at any time during pregnancy.  The placenta starts to age after 34 weeks and there can be a loss of fluid...thats why research has suggested that it is risky to just "wait" after the 40 week mark...especially until 42 weeks.  A friend of mine waited until 42 weeks and she had NO fluid and her baby came out with a rash all over his body because of it.  Thank god thats all that just happened.
Thank god is right, she was really lucky. I'm suprised they didn't realize she had no fluid.  Dumb question, but where did it go? It would seem like she would have noticed leaking or something?

I think for most studies there is another study to contradict it, so who really knows.  Just like one year they tell you not to eat this or drink that because it causes cancer and then the next year they tell you it is o.k. after all. I guess there really is no right or wrong answer and physicians have to rely on their own experience, a little common sense and medical expertise.  I always imagine these "scientists" performing studies in some dark dim basement somewhere, something like the mad scientist.LOL
I asked the same question when she told me that.  She said that they told her that it SLOWLY leaked.  I have no idea what type of dr she had but I thought that they tested your fluid level if you went past 40 weeks just to make sure that something like that did not happen.  

I think that because we have access to so much on the net about all these things it makes it worse....  I totally agree on how they contradict themselves.  I notice it on the news all the time.  

gina
Im having cramp like pains, but is it possible to be in labor without my stomach getting hard??
I am 37 weeks pregnant and have been going through a real painful last Trimester I have been dilated 1cm since 29 weeks pregnant and have always been haing bad contractions, My doctor has been seeing me every week. Now she want's to strip my membranes Now I am 25% effaced and 2 cm dilated and hardly can move around. SHe wants to strip my membranes and I thought this was a good idea. But after readin most of the women here that have done really scares me. I am very afriad of having worse contracations I just want for at least one day to relax before going into labor. My question is Is this a good idea?. Will i go into labor?,,,, I hope so I have 2 kids already that need my attention and I just want to have this baby already.