Maternal & Child Community
Labor to start 24-48 hours after loss of mucus plug? / Open

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

38 week and still here :) After my vaginal exam last week, I think I lost my mucus plug.  After getting use to the small bleed of the exam, I saw tiny blood clots (like 2) and then a visit to the rest room later I saw what look like boogers..lol sorry tmi, but not sure how else to describe it. I'm assuming that was my plug. But that was last week. Now everything has gone sorta back to normal.  Even my discharge has decreased a bit.
Everything that I've read said that labor starts 24-48 after the loss of your plug.  Do they mean dilation/effacing or do they mean active labor. I was 1cm as of last appoitment, last week. This is a BIG baby I have here. I'm estimating 8 lbs. But it's my first so who knows... Even my contractions have stopped except for some braxton hicks when I start to walk.  BUt thats all. What gives?
Hey, I just left a question too.  I think after your exam it may have been normal bleeding. I hear that the plug is kind of gross and big.  I bleed a lot after last week's appt too and then everything went back to normal.  I have no contractions or dialation so looks like you are leading the race...  I cannot take this heat, I am swelling - I feel so bad for gnicole even more now.

Do you feel like you baby is out of room?  I am so afraid mine is going to get hurt with the cord.  All I do is worry.
With my first DD I lost my mucus plug about 2 weeks before I had her.  It was kind of a glob of brownish pink gooie stuff, kind of the consistancy of snot or soemthing.  I have also heard of people loosing there plug and going into labor.  I have a friend who thought she was loosing hers called the dr. dr. told her to come in and let them check her they did a u/s and told her her fluid was low and induced her right then, so maybe call your dr. and get checked again to see if it is your plug.
You know honestly I worry less about the cord now then before. Only because she doesnt have much room to move now where as before, she was doing flips and turning, then I worried about her getting tangled. Now she can only go from lying on her side or on her tummy (facing my back ) which is what the dr says is ideal for labor. But I do feel so bad for her. She must be as uncomfortable as I am.  Every little thing I do, I'm afraid I might hurt her neck or something.  I did laundry this weekend and worried about bending forward.
I was swelling alot on saturday. I did alot and it was really hot. I've been drinknig a lot of water which I dont know helped or hurt my swelling.
I wonder how gnicole is.  Has she been around lately?  
Maybe you ladies understand this better than  I do.  If my dr touched the babies a few times, then doesnt that mean there is no plug blocking the cervix anymore? Or can you be dilated and still have your plug.  I'm confused
you are right about the cord.  Thanks, you made me feel better.  they just kick and punch not really move anymore so I guess it would be harder.  Plus I had a u/s two weeks ago and they didnt say anything :)
Hi there, it could be for you and I hope so as you sound like you are ready. But, it just really means that your cervix has opened up enough to let that mucus out. It could be disturbed by the vag exam. With my first, I dilated on the one month plan. 36 weeks 2cms and I lost a lot of sleep waiting for IT to happen. Each week I went up 1 cm, until I was 39 3/7 weeks and the dr said she'd break my water. Otherwise, I think that little guy would still be in there. Not really, he's almost 13 yrs. LOL. Anyhow, best wishes and let us know how everything is going with you. You know, I'm a believer in the moon changes affecting delivery. It's May 2nd-full moon. Good luck to you!
I lost my plug with Cj at 35 weeks, actually just before 35 weeks. I still ended up induced at my due date. I even had my membranes swept twice!

Keep an eye out for pending labor, hopefully it will happen soon!!
I lost my plug weeks before I had to beinduced with both of my babies.  My Dr. stripped my membranes with each one, 3 times with the last one and he still waited.  I think ideally you go into labor when you lose your plug because you are thinning and dialating, but not always.  So many gals on here lose the plug way in advance, sorry.  Also, for hte cord, my first baby was over 10 lbs., born head up, and had the cord around his neck 3 times.  He never should have tolerated labor, but was perfectly fine.  Babies are so tough, but it's pretty rare to have the cord wrapped and when they get bigger they slow down so yours should be fine.  Unfortunatley mine kept flipping till 39 weeks (very painful).  Anyway, good luck gals!
Went to the hospital on Saturday night due to severe swelling, shortness of breath, high BP.  They kept me there for a few hours and my blood pressure went down.  The midwife said I had to see a doctor in the office on Monday (today) and that I should be induced this week. Well, the doctor I saw today was a total jerk and he said why would we induce you, you are fine, nevermind that I have trouble catching my breath, the nurses said my feet an legs are the worst they have ever seen.  He said oh, but your pulse seems to stay high all the time 130 so you need to see a cardiologist tomorrow (Tues) but yet in another breath I am fine. Well duh, my pulse is high because I am filled with so much fluid, which makes me short of breath which then makes my pulse be high. I have to go back to the doctor on Friday.  I am very frustrated. They made me get undressed today and he didn't even check me.  :(  I will let you girls know how it goes tomorrow, my appt. is at 1:00. Oh and he claims I am fine but I am not allowed to work anymore-I don't get it!!! :(