Maternal & Child Community
Ladies @ 16 weeks - your weight gain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ladies @ 16 weeks - your weight gain?

I am really worried. My whole life I have struggled to maintain a normal weight and was overweight before I fell pg.  I have increased my excercise, watch what I eat and even joined a club to try and curb my weight gain.  I am now 16 weeks and have gained a whopping 16.2 pounds. What was or is your weight gain at 16 weeks?
I gained 4lbs at 16 weeks.  I am 26 weeks now and gained 16lbs.  Don't worry about it as long as you are healthy.  Everybody is different, some even lose weight.  I am sure your doc will let you know if problems arise.
Hope you have a healthy pregnancy!
My weight gain has been moderate up to week 16 (6 ~ 7 pounds), but gained a lot more during the rest of my second trimester.  Now I'm into my 3rd trimester.

It's probably not good to gain a lot during the first trimester, but if you gained most of that weight during the last few weeks, don't worry too much.
I lost 1 kg (about 2 pounds) In the first trimester, I am in the 18 week now, Not sure how much I hv gaine, but Sure that I hv  :)
Btw, I'm 27 weeks and have gained about 16 ~ 17 pounds as well.  I guess that's probably an assuring normal.  =)  My only concern is that my tummy didn't grow during the 6th month at all.  Now I'm on my 7th month and it's growing by the hour!
i wouldn't worry too much i started out thin and i am 15 wks and already showing and have gained about 10 pounds and it's not from over eating either infact the dr is surprised i gained so much considering i have extreme morning sickness during my first trimester i couldn't keep anything down.
well i am 37 weeks and have eaten really well during my pregnancy.  I dont pig out or eat junk and I eat when I am hungry which is about every 2 to 3hrs.  I eat fruit and veggies and lots of dairy.  I have gained 38lbs!!!  Thats about a pound a week.  By 16 weeks I am sure I was at about 16lbs up as well.  Just eat well and be happy that you are nourishing a baby.  You can maintain that struggle after pregnancy.  Just remember its not a time to eat whatever you want, just eat good foods.  Dont let people get to you w/ comments either...I struggled w/ that and still do....but all in all I am carrying a healthy baby boy that will thrive when he comes out. good luck
Yes, my doc told me to expect 1 lb/week during the 2nd and 3rd trimester.  Maybe your skin is very elastic and not ready to stretch until now (LOL).  I am pretty pettie so you can definitely see my tummy is sticking out and I do have stretching pain...
Thanks ladies - need to make a correction though I have gained 13.2 (math problem with kg conversion). But anyway NONE OF YOU MADE ME FEEL ANY BETTER! All you did was make me worry more and jealous ~ lol.

I would love to hear that I am not the only one who seems to be carrying the weigh of all skinny chicks out there. No matter what I do it just keeps going up!
I will be 19 weeks on Monday and have only gained 3 pounds. Baby is measuring on target so the doctor is not too concerned with my lack of weight gain.
I am sure there are a lot of women out there who gained as much or more than you.  The important thing is are you eating healthy?  Are you getting some exercise?  Is your doc happy with your weight.  What you have gained is done and you can't lose it but just watch your diet from here on out.  
Good Luck!
At 16 (almost 17) weeks my total weight gain had been three pounds.  I gained two pounds by nine weeks, gained another 2 1/2 pounds by twelve weeks, but at almost seventeen weeks I had lost 1 1/2 pounds.  So that comes out to a three pound gain for the pregnancy at that point.  I don't have a scale at home so I don't know how much I weigh now at 20weeks4days.  I haven't been eating all that well, I must admit.  I'm expecting a big gain, but I expected it last time and lost.

I was very overweight when I got pregnant so I understand your concerns and have them myself.  
Thanks - yes I have been excercising the ladies at work have a walking club and during lunch 3 times a week we do a 4km walk (2.5 miles). But I am hoping I either have a elephant for a baby (as everytime I see my doc he puts me another week forward) or that it is mostly water.  My doc says nothing.
How did you not gain anything? What are you doing that I am not?
I gained a lot around that time.  Then I took up swimming and just became a little more mindful of what I was eating--too much sugar salt etc.  By the third trimester your organs will be so squooshed up you won't have much room to eat a lot.  I have to eat much smaller meals now as I am carrying my baby high and have trouble breathing somethimes.  I would say if you are able to definately exercise it REALLY helps.
Maybe you are retaining water.  Watch for your salt intake and drink lots of water.  Sounds like you are doing what you can.  Watching what you eat is about the only thing you can do.  I was doing the Curves program until I was 5 months.  I am planning on walking once the weather gets nicer.  It's way too hot to be outside,  90's everyday.
I know someone who gained 60+ 1bs during her pregnancy and her baby came out just fine.  Make sure you're eating healthy meals and exercising regularly and don't worry too much.  Pregnancy is not the time to try to diet, so just talk with your doc if the weight gain is concerning.
I've been trying not to give into cravings...but do you ever get that one that jsut WON'T go away?  You've tried to substitute everything you can think of...but you just have to have that ice cream!!  lol.  

I'm not dieting...just avoiding eating as many sweets as i have the past few weeks.  I didn't realize how had it had gotten until i went to the Dr. and stepped on that scale....then you think back...and OMG  I've been eating THAT much!!
I am currently 17 wks and have gained 5 pounds but I think some of the weight is definately in my chest!! I read that 5-10 lbs at this point is average.....I am still awaiting a round pot belly,  I just look a little thicker around the waist :(
at 17wks i have gained 9 lbs.  Im a little upset about that...so i'm laying off the sweets which i started recently indulging in during the past few weeks...i know it's normal to gain weight during pregnancy, but i want it to be good weight....not sugar and sweets weight..lol.
I just started to indulge sweets too....I am trying not to give in to cravings, it's hard.  I try to eat fruit instead of ice-cream and candies.  Everything in moderate is good but it's harder when you have to do it!
You might want to check out this graph.  

http://pregnancyweekly.com/pregnancy_health_fitness/weightgain_chart.htm#
I'm 15 weeks today and have not gained any weight actually I have lost 1lb as of last fri appt..doc doesn't seem to be worried I'm 5ft7 and am about 40lbs overweight in which if u saw me u would'nt think so but I am heavy boned.I too give into cravings especially strawberry cheescake. and excercise yeah right...so I don't know why I havent gained.
So... you must want to hear from me?
I am 32 weeks and have gained 34lbs...How does that sound? SUX.
Of course I know the unbeatable cravings!  (LOL)  I have been buying the 100 calories pack snak, Chips Ahoy is the best one!  Also Edy's light ice-cream.
A couple of weeks gao (at around 16 weeks) I was on here complaining that I hadn't gained much weight (around four pounds). Within two weeks I gained about 6 pounds... a total of 10 pounds at 18 weeks is where I'm at.
I just tried on my favorite two pairs of jeans, and no way could I wear them.
I hit 16 weeks yesterday, and have gained about 8 pounds. I am a very small person though, 4'10", and usually 115 lbs. I have gained 6-7 inches in my waist, and about 3 inches around the widest part of my hips. I only gained 20 pounds with my daughter, and gave birth at 38 1/2 weeks. Many women gain as much as 50 lbs., and lose it all within 4-6 months. Try to just eat healthy, and reasonably, and don't worry too much about it. Are you planning to nurse? That will help peel off the pounds.
I am overweight pre pregnancy by like 60 lbs and i have lost 1 lb so far this pregnancy and i am 18 weeks pregnant... I thought FOR SURE that i would be quickly approaching 250 lbs with this pregnancy but it has been suprisingly hard for me to gain.. (darn) hehe.. My dr's arent happy with that but i sure am!!! i am definately eating enough i guess my metabolism just sped up.. (go figure) and i cant eat as much in 1 sitting.  Oh and i am starting to show in the tummy so i assume the weight gain will start any time now.. Not looking foward to it..

Good luck.. and remember.. every single ounce gained is for that baby. :-)
Not a very happy camper about my weight. I weighed 115 when I got Preg now at 13 wks Im pushing 129. What is going on? Im not eating **** and Im drinking alot of water. Why do you think Im gaining so quickly?
I have no idea how I haven't gained more.  I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday and I dread the scale.  I can let you know if I stay with trend of losing or if I gained a ton of weight.  I will tell you that the three pounds I've gained so far is all pregnancy.  I know that my baby weighed 11 ounces at 19 weeks add in the amount of weight I've gained from increased breast size, extra blood, and the placenta and all of those three pounds are accounted for.

I've been eating ****.  I've been on modified bedrest for my whole pregnancy and it's been hot and I just haven't felt good.  I feel bad about not eating better, but starting this week I'm only eating healthy food.  During the second trimester you start gaining a pound a week and that scares me.  I think I'm going to start gaining now that I'm almost 21 weeks.

Just make healthy choices and don't beat yourself up.  You are gaining what your body needs to gain.  Each woman is different.  I know how hard it is to gain weight.  I always thought it wouldn't be an issue since I'd just be so happy to be pregnant (six years of ttc), but it really messes with your body image.  Just try to remember that you are growing a baby and that's not easy to do!
I'm 16 weeks with my first, and I was very thin before getting pregnant.  I went to the doc 4 days ago, and they said I've gained 12lbs.  The doc also said that's right on target.  It was really hard for me to find that out, because I've always carefully watched my figure.  The doctor assured me that everything was fine, and I would bounce back after pregnancy with no problem.  So, don't worry.  Just make sure you're eating healthy and exercising, and the weight WILL come off after baby.  What ever you do, don't start dieting.  Now is not the time, because your baby will not consume your fat stores.  It needs the fat that you're eating.  You're just fine, girly!
at 16 weeks, i gained about 8 to 9 pounds. now at 27 weeks i have gained bout 19 pounds...i try to keep a regular exercise routine and i really can't say i have been eating healthy 100 percent.
I'm in the same boat hun - I am 14.4 weeks and since b4 Xmas have gained about 14lbs, mainlt due to eating terribly and gorging on choccie - feeling terrible about it but am trying to tell myself that as long as everything is ok & baby is doing well and is healthy - I figure I'll just have to work harder to get it off again xx
I am 16 weeks 3 days pregnant and I have only gained a total of 3.5 pounds the whole pregnancy!! I gained 1 pound in a month's time. I have been sick alot of the doctor's dont seem to be worried, everything looks great!!
Im 16 years old and im 16 weeks pregnant I've never been a "big" kinda girl but I've again almost 20lbs....is that normal??
Im 16years old and i'm 16 weeks pregnant I've never been a "big"girl I've always weighted between 122 and 127 but I've agained almost 20 lbs!!! Is that normal???!!!