Maternal & Child Community
Large Ovarian Cyst and Positive Pregnancy Test at the Doctor.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Today I finally went to the doctor to have myself checked over.  I have Graves' Disease and I wanted to follow up with that.  Also I wanted to have a pregnancy test done by my doctor to rule out possible pregnancy, I seriously expected that it would.  However, she came back to the room and told me the pregnancy test she did was positive.  She then told me that she's never seen a false positive pregnancy test, however I was told before that an old test, or an ovarian cyst can cause this.

Then she sent me to the hospital to have an ultrasound done.  The ultrasound did not show any pregnancy, however it did show I had an ovarian cyst that was 15cm's.  4 years ago this same cyst was only 4cm's.  Of course, the ultrasound person couldn't give me any answers, only refer me to have a blood test done (which I am still waiting the result of).

I need to know if a cyst this large, or any thing else, can at all ever cause a false positive pregnancy test.
Hi.. I am not to sure what to say but I can say that my sister in law went to the Dr.s about 3 mo. ago with pain and she found out she had an ovarian cyst... I am not sure of the size but they said it was very large... They did a pregnacy test on her the same day and it was positive... The cyst burst on it own and she is fine with that and she is now 15 weeks pregnant :) I hope this helps some way.. Good Luck with everything...
LuvBeingAMommy22
Hi there I went to the doctors because I had a positive pregnancy test. The doctor did her examination and asked how far gone I was i said 6 weeks and she was sure that I was at least 20weeks!!! She then told me not to panic but she felt that I had some sort of growth as she didn't feel I could be that wrong with my dates as we were trying for a baby and I knew my cycle. She warned me before going for a scan that it was quite likely that i wasnt pregnant as the cyst had hormones inside the same as the hormones given off by pregnancy. Anyway I went for my scan and there was a 17cm cyst and a tiny baby with a strong heart beat. The cyst has now been successfully drained (3 times!!) and I am going for my 20 week scan today. So in answer to your question it can cause a false positive (about the only thng that can) but it should not harm your fertility. If you have to have it removed just talk to your consultant before hand about NOT removing any part of the ovary!!
Goodluck to you I hope that everything goes well.
Thank you, now to find out the likliness that a false positive is because of the cyst.  It feels like forever and with the complications of a pregnancy, while it isn't something bad, it is dangerous for me and the baby.  Still waiting to hear from the doctors about the tests.
Just got back my blood test.  I am pregnant... my hormones are at 1138...
Congratularions!!!
I've just been back to have my 20 week scan to find my cyst has grown back arrgghh!!! It looks like we're both in the same situation.
My cyst measures 16.7cm x 11.8cm x 15cm.  They said they may need to do surgury during my 2nd trimester to remove it. They have referred me to a high risk OB because of the cyst and the fact I have active Graves' Disease.
HCG at 2234 (maybe 2238) something like that today.  So, the doctor says that is good and everything is going well till the U/S Tuesday/Wednesday then we'll know more.
Please help!  I took five home pregnancy test and they were positive.  Then I went to the doctor on Thursday and had blood work done and a ultra sound on Friday.  The ultra sound lady said I was two weeks and 4 days.  The blood work came back and said I was 4 to five weeks.  Now today Monday I talked to the doctor and he said I am not pregnant.  I went to have more blood work.  Do not know the results yet.  I have had ovarian cysts in the past.  What is going on?
I had a cyst a year ago that went away with birth control pills.  Now my husband and I are trying to get pregnant so I stopped taking the pill just 6 weeks ago.  I have missed a period and took a home pregnancy test and it was positive.  Am I pregnant or do I have another cyst.  My breasts are tender and I have had fatigue and hot flashes.
I hope its a pregnancy
I found out I have a 4cm cyst...8 days late...but sore breasts and heavy abdomen...positive hpt...don't know what to think...but I hope it's true!!
HEY I HAVE THIS PROBLEM SINCE SEPT 1 2010 I HAVE BEEN TAKING HOME PREGNANCY TEST AND GETTING BLOOD DONE AND ALL IS POSITIVE.... MY BLOOD LEVELS  R STILL GOING UP.  MY LEVELS WHERE 144 WHEN I 1ST GOT BLOOD WORK THEN 3DAYS LATER  IT WAS 174 THEN  MAYBE 2WKS LATER IT WAS 243 THEN 2WKS LATER IT WAS 433 THEN A WEEK LATER IT WAS 1227 AND AS OF TODAY OCT 22,2010 IT IS 1378..... AND I HAVE BEEN GETTING U/S SINCE DAU ONE AND THE DONT SEE A BABY.... SO KNOW MY DOCTOR TELL ME  I HAVE A 4CM CYST ON MY OVARY. SO I WANNA KNOW DOES A CYST CAUSE UR BLOOD LEVELS TO BE ON THE RAISE AND NOT HAVE A CYLCE FOR 3MONTHS..... AND I ALSO WANNA KNOW IF U CAN BE PREGNANT AND STILL HAVE A CYST AT THE SAME TIME....
So for a week and a half now ive been very tired, fatigue, and have had bad nasuea, no throwing up though, my bf and i had sex without a condom when i was ovulating and i went to the ER this past tuesday because i felt so horrible, shaking and dizzy and i had alot of pain in my lower abdomen, they did a pregnancy test, and it came up negative also like the one my family doctor did the day before, and they did a cat scan and found out i have a 4.3 centimeter cyst on my left ovary, and they sent me home with pain meds, my period is late by 3 days and hpt are negative, i have some symptoms of pregnancy, could i still be pregnant? could the cyst be a false negative?
Hi all.. I was previously diagnosed with poly cystic  ovarion syndrome (pcos). my last period was on 5th november. last sunday, i did a home pregnancy test and it came out positive. i went to a local hospital (which they asked me to do another urine test) and it also came out positive. I was told that i am 6 weeks pregnant. however, when i went for my vaginal scan yesterday, the doctor couldn't find the baby sac.. worse, she found 2 cysts instead! :(  both at 4.6x3.6 and 4.6x3.2 each.. i did another urine test and it is still positive.. this is my first 'possible' pregnancy.. and i am really worried.. the doctor told me to come back after 2 weeks, but the wait is so frustrating..please, can anyone advise me on this....