Maternal & Child Community
Late Period but Negative tests

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Late Period but Negative tests

I stopped taking my birth control in Feb. because i am 27 years old and about to get married. I have been on the pill since i was 15. My periods have been no later than 8 days late since i stopped my birth control but it always seem to come no later than the 8th day. It is 16-Aug and my last period was June 23rd. Me and my fiance have unprotected sex (by choice, not trying to get pregnant but if it happens we are both ready) and the last 2 times we have had sex in the last week, afterwards when i wipe there is bright bood. I thought it was my period coming but the next day there was nothing. It happened again last night but later this afternoon i wipe and there was a small amount of brown dishcharge but it was gone an hour later. I have taken at least 5-6 tests and they say no. Does anyone know what this could be?? Sorry if it was to detailed but i needed to make it all clear. ANY help would be great!!!
Hi!

Since the pregnancy tests are negative, the irregularity in your periods could be due to the fact that you have been on pills for long. This is called post-pill amenorrhea where periods stop because of suppression of pituitary gland in the brain by the contraceptive pills or depot shots. So this is the first thing that has to be ruled out. What is important is to find out whether you are ovulating or not. So buy an ovulation prediction kit. In most cases periods return on their own after post pill amenorrhea within 6 months. The ovulation may return anytime during these 6 months irrespective of the periods. If you are ovulating then you can become pregnant. If you are not ovulating, then after 6 months and after appropriate tests, drugs like clomiphene or progesterone, as the need may be, will have to be started to stimulate the pituitary to release FSH and LH.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your gynecologist regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!