Maternal & Child Community
Lecithin supplement for fetus brain development during PREGNANCY?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Every mom wants a genius.I've read some journal articles that concluded lecithin is good for neural system and brain development and in particular good for boosting sharp memory. But a few days ago I found the CVS brand lecithin supplement states that lecithin is not suggested to pregnant women. I'm so confused and don't know what to believe. Do you guys have any suggestion? I'm now taking Duat DHA prenatal, the pills taken daily contains one softgel that has 200mg DHA derived from fishoil. If appropriate amount of lecithin dalily is good for fetus brain, will there be any interation of DHA and lecithin? Thanks for your response in advance and tons of baby dust to all!
i take one prenatal vitamin and a dha supplement i read that the dha is good for the brain and the eyes of the fetus and that you should also take it if your breastfeeding b/c it will still help. the dha supplement i take is called expecta.
Thanks for sharing. So what is the daily dose of your DHA? Since I'm very near sighted, I'd like to take extra DHA daily than common pregnant women but afraid of exceeding the maximum daily amount that could cause any side effects.
i agree that no vitamins make a child smarter but it sure can't hurt. my dr is the one who prescribed the pre-natals and dha supplement.
You should definitely talk to your doctor before you start mixing and taking more of certain vitamins etc than the bottle recommends. When it comes to things like that, it really should come from a professional.

Also, I don't think any amount of vitamins while pregnant is really going to make a child smarter. i think the best thing to do if you want a smart child, is to make sure you read to them even as a baby and really guide them from the start in educational games etc. Working on things such as fine motor skills, teaching responsibility, creativity, work ethic, etc from an early age is really what can help motivate a child to do well in school and succeed later in life. (That's the former teacher in me talking, but I do think these things have a lasting effect on children as they grow). I think vitamins can also help them have a healthy start, which is also a good thing.
There is no reason to take lecithin. Your liver produces more than enough lethicin. Lecithin suppliments break down and are digested when you take them as a suppliment. Eat a well rounded nutritious diet and you will be right!
You can take up to 2000mg. Make sure its is DHA and not epa that has mercury.  They have a great one at heath food stores or gnc/vit world too. Its called Mor DHA designed for pregnant women.  I take two a day:)