Maternal & Child Community
Leg longer than the other

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Leg longer than the other

My son was born with Spina Bifida. My question doesn't really have to do with that directly. We noticed that his right leg is a whole inch shorter than the other. He has been in pain for a few weeks now, and we are not sure why. We took him to his Dr.s and they did an x-ray on his hips and it showed everything was ok. They said to come back if he gets worse. But I don't think they noticed that his leg is so much shorter than the other cause we just noticed tonight. What my question is, have any of you had this with your children (w/ or w/out the Spina Bifida) and what was the outcome? I know it's a reach asking on this forum, but we are a little lost where to turn. Our Dr.s are just telling us to wait. On Monday we are going to call and tell about his leg, but I doubt that will do any good. So I was hoping that somebody out there could give me some info about this...that somebody knows something about what could happen with one leg longer than the other. (my son is 19 months old)
i had scoliosis when i was a child.. i was born 3 months early.. and had the misfortune of wearing casts on my legs until i was 2 years old.. one leg was longer..and.. my legs were drawn inward severely.. and to this day.. its bigger as well.. i am sure that if the one leg is severely longer.. an ortho doc can do someting about it.. however.. if its not a real severe case. .i would imagine they will leave it as is.. i ran track.. danced ballet.. i was fine..it was just something i got used to ..
nalla

I do not know anything about spina bifida.  We found out my son had a mild case of scoliosis at 13 due to one leg being shorter than the other (just a centimeter or two).  He grew 7 inches in one school year and having one shorter leg caused his spine to curve.  Also I know a couple who has a two year old who complained about back pain some, but played and jumped around normally.  When they finally insisted on an xray of his spine they found severe scoliosis due to an extra vertebra in his back (it had to be removed) I suggest you insist  with you doctors for more tests, and if they will not find a doctor who will.  He is growing and if there is anything going on with his bones it would cause pain, and needs to be corrected.  I hope you get some answers soon.
Yes, I know how to check for scoliosis, and with him it's just way too hard to check. One, he can't stand on his own yet. My husband held him while I bent him over to check. But he has a huge scar all the way down his back, so we can't see his spine. So we felt it and it was too hard to tell because his spine is all messed up due to the Spina Bifida. I guess it's something that an x-ray or a Dr. will have to look for.
Thanks :)
Do you know how to check for scoliosis?  Have your son bend over and touch his toes.Pull his shirt up so you can see his back.  A normal spine and back is even all the way across.  A spine with scoliosis will have a uneven back.  One side(right or left side of his spine) will be "higher" than the other. If you are not sure, google it and find some pictures or illustrations.  It is unlikely this is what is going on, but if he has one leg shorter it is something you need to watch with him as he grows. Hope this helps!
I am 22 years old and my right leg is an inch and a half shorter. My hips are starting to loose cartilage and my spine is curved. I did go see a specialist and hopefully soon I'm having the surgury to correct it before anything worse happens. The doc says I will be pain free and my spine will go back to normal after the procedure.