Maternal & Child Community
Lidoderm/Lidocaine patch ok during pregnancy? (medicated heating pad) 3...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Lidoderm/Lidocaine patch ok during pregnancy? (medicated heating pad) 36 weeks

Hi. I went for the majority of my pregnancy with out using medication just because I didnt want it to affect my baby.  But now I'm at a desperate point. I've been told that I have pregnancy induced carpal tunnel syndrome and my hands are  ALWAYS either numb or in pain (even as I type this). I dont think my dr's understand how bad this is really getting. They are always in a rush and when I told one dr how much pain I was in, she was a little shocked because, she just thought it was just numbness. They always rush and dont really hear you out. But I'm loosing hours of sleep and am having problems at work.
So my step mom gave me some pads (she has it to) that are medicated and heat up. They are called Lidoderm patches. "It says, Lidocaine...700 mg(50mg per gram adhesive)inaqueous base. Methylparaben and propylparaben as perservative".

I just want to know if I can use these. I know if they are medicated, the medication might go into my blood stream and reach her. So I'm worried. Anyone ever use these?
Thank you
I googled it and found that it is a pregnancy category B which means that it is unlikely  to cause harm to the unborn baby but to contact your dr if you are pregnant or plan to be pregnant. Personally I think it should be fine esp at 36 weeks when all vital organs are already developed. You can't continue in that type of pain. I do know that women that have hemorrhoids during pregnancy use a spray that contains lidocaine and medicated pads. Hope this isn't too confusing and best wishes.tmv
I never used the patches, but I get injections with lidocaine and some other stuff into my sacroliac joint (in the back, pelvic bone) every 3 months due to an injury from years ago. I had them done with my 2nd, and my currrent one. My dr went over it with me, and felt pretty safe having them done.