Maternal & Child Community
Light period after miscarriage...chances of being pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello Everyone,

I m/c on July 8th.  On Aug. 6-9th I had a very light period.  I'm not for sure, but isn't your first period supposed to be fairly heavy after a m/c?  I know everyone is different, but that seems a bit odd.  We have been ttc and again, I have all the symptoms including a protruding tummy (I show way early and have with my previous pg's.)  I'm hoping all the symptoms are not in my head...thinking about testing tomorrow way ahead of when my "period" would be to rule out that I am or am not pregnant now.  Any how, just wondering what you all think...does it sound feasible to be pregnant?
Hey there Thunder, I don
I had a D&C on April the 28 and was pregnant again by May 23--If your body is ready to accept a new pregnancy it will---if you think you may be pregnant again--test or go in to see your doctor--thats the only way you will feel better about things. I cant comment on the period thing since I did not have one between my D&C and getting pregnant again.
I'm going to test in the morning tomorrow.  That way I know if I got pregnant in July or not. I'll let you know slhc70.

As far as waiting...personally, I believe it's how you feel about it, so I can respect those who feel strongly about waiting a month.  I felt great about a week after my m/c and didn't feel the need to wait.  If I would have felt like I was not emotionally or physically up for the challenge of being pregnant for 9 months (10 really), I would have waited.  Even recommendation times from Doctors are conflicting.  Some say one month, others say up to 3 months.  Both times are set and based on opinion/type of m/c.  Some m/c do require you to wait longer, i.e. molar (of which mine was not).  Basically, the only advantage of waiting one month before conceiving, is that it gives you and the Doctors a baseline to determine without ultrasound how far along you are to determine a due date. I have no qualms about getting an ultrasound.  In addition, I think after re-reading Kazoos' comment, she may have even indicated that the reason I m/c in the first place was because my body was not ready.  That is just plain rude.  Who are you to determine if MY body was ready or not?  You need to think a little more about what and who you are talking about before responding.  "Not to sound mean or anything", but you should really try to respect others' decisions, because we are all different and all have different thresholds of pain as well as healing times.  

I think thats is why I wrote to let you know that even though you just miscarried it doesnt always mean that your body is not ready for another pregnancy---my doctor said that the wait time was more for emotional reasons than physical ones--and if your body is ready then you can and will get pregnant--thats why I am sitting here 16 weeks pregnant again-----the reason they want you to wait is so that they have a LMP to get your due date from and you wont have to have the un-needed sonograms---but I think that after a miscarriage those sonos are the best thing to keep you sane in the first 6 or so weeks----when you are still worried about miscarrying again---just keep your head up--test tomorrow--and if your pregnant then great and if not keep trying---lots of baby dust going out to you.
You know, you people only like to read things that you want to hear, even if it is not realistic.  some of you are so consumed with getting pregnant that you are letting yourselves believe you are and just getting upset and frustrated everytime you pee on a stick.  If you don't want to hear opinions - good or bad, then don't post the questions.  If what you want me to say is not my true opinion, then yes you are pregnant.  CONGRATULATIONS.

Sorry my last post upset you in your delicate condition.
First off Kazoo apparently has no heart or has never had a miscarriage. I miscarried two months ago, had a d&c followed by a heavy period. As of thsi weekend I think I may be pregnant again. My body had almost gotten back to normal and now I am exhausted, smell sensitive, mildly nauseous with huge (again) breasts. Took a hpt and it was negative. Took a blood test at my ob and it came back with hcg level 4. Not pregnant but not, not pregnant. They want me to come back for another test in a week. Intuitively I feel pregnant but wonder if it is all the old hormones still swirling. Has anyone had a experience like this?
First off to quote Thunder "You need to think a little more about what and who you are talking about before responding."  You don't know me or my past.  Which brings up my next point, if you will re-read my first post it was full of heart.  I've lived through this, I understand.  You are taking it the wrong way because I didn't say - yes you are pregnant.  I am sitting at a computer probably thousands of miles away from you and I am giving you the same answer the pee stick will.  That is why you are getting angry with me.
Oh and Vessel, use your super-sonic smelling ability to wake up and smell the coffee, you only "think you may be"  you are not even sure you are...
I dont think many (I stress many) people come on this forum expecting a yes or no answer to questions they themselves cant answer. Thats the reason for experience and help---to have something to base your thoughts on--a where to go from here kind of thing. We dont know everyone, we dont know their bodies nor do we know their situation--we just can give advise on what has happened to us and hope that some of those expeiences can help someone in some form or fashion. Baby dust to all......
Hey slhc70, you are 100% right.  It's a matter of how early you end up having your sonogram as far as waiting to conceive.  Normally you only have I think 2 ultrasounds in a "normal" pregnancy..so what if I have 3?  It's not invasive for the baby and for me, if I had to pay for it out of pocket it would be well worth it.You nailed it when you said after having a miscarriage, then getting pregnant again, those first 6-8 weeks are pure hell and the sono's are the best thing to keep sane.

Kazoo..No one wants you to tell them that it's dark out when it's light. I think it just hurt to hear that you felt my body wasn't prepared to handle a pregnancy and that is why I miscarried.  Like I said before if you feel that waiting 1 month is an appropriate time to conceive, that's great, I can respect that, but just because you believe that, don't expect others to follow suit.  I can see where women get themselves worked up over THINKING they are pregant..and yeah, I guess sometimes it gets the best of them (I've been there)...but I wasn't looking to hear "YES you are pregnant", just wanted some support in my waiting time (until I can test with relative and just results).  You know most of us here have had miscarriages and have found peace with the help and kind advice of others here.  That is what this place is about.  Maybe that is what you thought you were doing, but next time, try to be more considerate of others' feelings.

Vessel,
More power to you!  I know what you mean intuition--it is usually right, just try to keep a level head.  With the level of 4, it should jump dramatically in a week.  You probably just caught it at the extreme beginning of pregnancy.  I hope and pray everything works out for you.  Lots o luck & baby dust

I've read your post before, but you are right, I don't know your history, nor do you know mine to any real extent.   I'm not angry because you didn't tell me "YES" your pregnant, I'm angry at your lack of support.  Just like your smart-mouthed comment you just made to Vessel about "super-sonic smelling" --that is just so wrong.  If your comments were really heartfelt, you wouldn't of jumped on Vessels' back.  You would of been a bit more compassionate.  We don't need to be kicked when we are already down.
You want opinions and answers then don't presume to know everything.  I never said "wait one month" I just figured it would be easier on you and a new baby to not have that kind of stress.  Sometimes its not all about YOU, you have to think of the little person who is really trying hard to grow inside of you and if the conditions are not ideal, it will make it that much harder.

I am not trying to shed dark on your light, I am helping you to see that there is also a grey scale and that it is not all black and white.  You have to take the good, bad and everything in between...its called life.
Are you pregnant? Trying to conceive? Recently had a miscarriage?
I never said I know all. Nor do I claim to.  That is why I visit this forum.

You are correct you did not say 1 month, but indicated that waiting longer than the month [after a miscarriage] would of been more appropriate to conceive (and cause less stress-[later  you said that part]).  

I want to give my child the best possible advantage in making it.  If I felt I was even in the most miniscule way endangering my childs' health and well being, I would not of tried to concieve (conceive).  I suppose this bantering is all about respecting each others'opinion.  I think it's perfectly fine to conceive IF you are feeling fine physically and emotionally.  That is the gray area I believe you are referring to.  I agree life is not all black and White, but there a MANY different shades of grey.
I can
Sorry, that last one was for Vessel.  I know the shades of grey, don't talk about respect either when all you have done here is disrespect me.
That is it what is bothering you?  You think it would be a high stress pregnancy?

I don't want to know your history for the past two years..that is totally up to you to discuss.  You are right SUGGESTING TO WAIT TO CONCEIVE, IS NOT RUDE..but, when you say that my body ws not ready to have a pregnancy and that is why I miscarried, well, that that was more like a personal attack because you made it sound like my body was at fault for the miscarriage.  It was not.  It was no ones fault.  It was a fact of life that I had to address and deal with...and I have successfully.  I have no voids to fill...not in the mannor you suggested.  Yes I want another baby..but not to the point where I would jeopardize anothers.  Millions of women do have m/c's all the time for different reasons or no reasons at all.  That is why we come here to the forum for support.
Yes-you are right--this does happen to millions of women-and if those millions of women would come on this forum and ask advise we would gladly try to help them--I cant speak for everyone on this forum-just myself--we all have opinions based on whats happened in our own lives--I can respect that. We all seem to look for the bad in things---the so called grey area---what is so wrong with trying to be optimistic about ones life and look for either the black or the white and stop living in the "what if's". We probably have all had hard times in our past and will have hard times in our future--that is life--we all know that. I have always been the type of person that see's the good in everyone---I read your post about your periods being messed up and at this point if that had ever happened to me I would gladly give you my "opinion" of what could be wrong. Just like when people asked about "could" they be pregnant again. Its something that they were puzzled about--a question in their mind that they needed some kind of support on. As long as you give your "opinion" without being rude or defensive then it should be respected by others. Just as I respect a lot of your other posts that you have made to people on this forum---we can only do and say what we know---live life and love from the heart.
Thunder I am fully aware of that but how could I attack you personally when I don
i am sorry i didnt think i was argueing or fighting i am sorry if i offended anyone i was just stating my opion on the miscarriage i even stated i am not trying to get in it so i am sorry if i upset anyone i was just saying that no matter what u will always stress about having another miscarriage
I am soooooo optimistic, you have no idea.  Last year a lot of really bad things happened - without going into detail, I made it through.  I see the light at the end of the tunnel but what good is it for me to say to Thunder that I truly believe she could be pg when I honestly believe she is not.  Isn't that sort of cruel?  I wasn't being rude or ignorant with her, if you all just take one second to re-read what I wrote it is FAR from mean.  I'm really sorry if its just not the answer she was looking for.
i know that this isnt about me and i dont want to really get in it but i have to say whether u wait 1month to get pregnant or 6 months to get pregnant u will always be stressed out about the pregnacy once u have had a miscarriage u will stress with every pregnancy i know i waited three months and i stress everyday that something will hapen so for all that u said about a stressfull pregnancy i think everyone will agree that it will always be stressful no matter how long u wait i wish thunder good luck in deed i hope u are pregnant and i am throwing you some baby dust
I think that no matter what is said or done no one will end up happy--we have all said our opinions and given our best adivise on what we as individuals feel is correct---sometimes we all dont see from the same page--which is what makes us all different---maybe we should just move on and take with us from this thread what is needed for our own lives---kinda like a buffet---take what you want and as much of it and leave the stuff you dont like----its a shame to make a lot of people unhappy due to comments that were said from the bottom of ones heart with good intentions.Baby dust to all---have a good evening!!!
Thanks Thunder for your kind thoughts! It was my understanding that a message board was to share experience give support and gather inforamtion. Kazoo sounds a bit bitter and self righteous. I wasn't looking for anyone to tell me yes I am pregnant, just some information about hcg levels. After a miscarriage and being pregnant once I have gotten to know my body better and am more intuitive to a possible pregnancy.
I just will be patient and wait until my next ob appt next week and pray the levels are up. No coffee for me avoiding caffeine just in case...
First of all, this was never about YOU - talk about self righteous.  And I am not bitter, if you really want to start personal attacks I suggest you start with someone else, because aside from knowing that my period was strange this past month, you know NOTHING about me.  I was not trying to put a damper on someone's spirit, I was simply commenting on her question.  Do I think she is pregnant? NO, still don't.  If she is then GREAT I wish her the best of luck and congratulate her.  I also hope she carries to term and has a very successful pregnancy.  You guys are getting on me about personal attacks and jumping on someones back with comments, read this entire thread - you have all just completely attacked me because I was trying to be realistic.  I don't look for the grey area, I simply said that it was there and there is nothing we can do about it.  I never once said that you were not pregnant either, all I said was that you were not even sure - are you even reading this or just looking for key words to fight back with.  I am not a negative person and don't know any of you.  She presented the facts and I used my personal knowledge and experience to comment on it.  As for Tonia, you're right, you will always think about the one you lost but don't hold onto the pain of that - look forward to the joy of the future.  Why put that stress on the babies, they certainly have done nothing to deserve it.
Ladies,  is all of this called for. We come to site for opinions not to fight and argue. Calm down.
Thank you for the luck...

No, it was not my body, it was a blighted ovum.  I have 2 children already and had extremly healthy pregnancies and deliveries..they also were very close to each other, they are only 13 months apart. Which is why I feel so strongly that we should not have to conform to "statistics or labels".  What is good for me may not be good for another.  It should all be taken on an idividual basis.

I work my butt off to keep in shape and to eat well, so maybe that is too why I took particular offense to the comment.  I am usually much less hot headed, just a little sensitive right now considering all factors.  Please accept my apology for being so quick to judge.
Hey I apologized to Kazoo and that is all I can do to keep the peace.  I didn't see her accept it, but it's still early in the day.

Just one clarfication and maybe it's may fault for not getting what I was asking for across clearly.  I thought it was quite strange to only have a 3 day light period after a miscarriage and that's what sparked my curiosity...quite honestly, if I am pregnant, I don't think it's from the month of July, but August and it's too early for me to test (1 more week).  The only reason I would test is to rule OUT the month of July.  I wouldn't even do that if my period was more "text book" like.  That is what I was looking for information on/advice.

Sorry to anyone that this whole B**chfest may have offended.  It definitely wasn't anyone's intentions (I know not mine) I don't believe, just alot of sensitive areas and if emotions run high, sometimes we get a little carried away.  The important thing to remember is that we all come here for support and advice.  We are all here because something we don't quite understand has happened to us.  We are all here to lean on each other, not attack one another.
I am sorry if I offended you Kazoo...I just was taken aback by your brusque comments.
I wish everyone good baby luck in the future. Hopefully, this and other forums can be helpful for gathering information and bringing some clarity to a very unexact science.
Who knows, you could be, it certainly wouldn't be the strangest thing to ever happen.  But i do know after the last two M/C's that I have had both periods after have been light, and lasted only 3-4 days.
Thanks GizmoAdams (cool screen name).  I was just a little confused on having the light period, just seemed odd.  But my body did seem to bounce back rapidly, so it was probably a normal period.  Thanks for your comment.
Not a prob. Like i said been there.  Done that don't want to do it again.  If you do wanna talk, angelicdevil_22***@****
Hello everyone I just had some concerns to bring forward to you guys...I'm 23 years old and I had a m/c on 8/5. I was only 3 1/2 months. My doctor told me to wait a month before I had any sexual activities but I did not follow his instruction and now it's almost a month since my m/c and I took two hpt and both came back positive. Could the reason why my test came back positive be because my pregnancy hormaones are still in my body?
hello everyone,,,,,im new to this, but wanted to let you ladies know that i too have just been through a m/c ........lately i've  had all the symptoms of a/f coming,, and today it seems that's what it is, but its not a full period,,,not to be gross, but its brownish and not red blood,,,,,,,
it has come and gone throughout the day and i was wondering if anyone knows if this is a period or not, or just my body getting rid of what was left from the m/c...sorry for such details,,,but im looking forward to my a/f as everyone is im sure,,,,,so I can look forward to starting fresh...any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and I was just looking for support on the internet as I just suffered a miscarriage. I was 6 weeks pregnant and I am feeling quite empty at this time. I lost my first baby in my 6th month of pregnancy and got pregnant with my son 6 weeks later. He is now 29 months and I always considered him my little miracle boy. I am 38 years old and for me after losing my first baby, pregnancy is filled with a fear in the back of my mind and I am deeply saddend by the loss of this baby and I will try again. Anyway I just wanted to share my experience with other women who have been there.
Hi, I'm new to all of this. I was 2 months pregnant and lost my baby. No medical reasons, it just happened. Ithas now been a month since it happened, and I want to try again. I understand what everyone is talking about. How you should wait, etc. But to be honest I am ready and I am currently trying. I wish the best of luck to everyone. I really do understand where your comming from, when everybody tells you that your body wasn't ready, and **** like that. It's just a way to try and make you fell better. So they say. But to be honest, it really does hurt, and it really ticks some people off. So I do understand. And I wish you the best of luck.
I had a D&C on the 30th july, 26 days after i had my first period which was extremley heavy but never the less not as long as i thought i would have to wait.My period is normally due around the 24-28 day mark. Now i am waiting for my second period which is so far 3 days late. I have taken a pregnancy test which says negitive.  I had period pains last week but they went away. I am what you can say a little confussed, i have never been late unless i was pregnant. What is my body doing? I am getting very worried incase something is wrong!! should i worry or should i just wait. But for how long?
I have a question.  I am 26 years old and I have a beautiful 18 month daughter -- my pregnancy with her was perfect, no problems.  In Aug 08 I m/c at 5 weeks.  We waited one period and tried again and m/c in Oct 08 at just 4 weeks.  We waited another month and tried again -- I was really tired the last week or so and my breasts got much fuller but then I got my period 2 days earlier than normal.  It was a light period too, only last 3 days when they usually last 5 days.  Could I have had a very early miscarriage or is that just stuck in my head from the past 2 m/c?  I'm hoping I just had a early and light period.  I did get my progesterone level checked this last month too and it was really high which was good and normal.  Any advice??
I am feeling so so sad after my miscarage i  have a six year old daughter and have been trying for over 3 n half years i am 31 and a size 22 . I am feeling so low been three months know am i normal to feel so so sad and keep crying and breaking my heart about it !! .
Hi everyone,
I was 19 when I had my first miscarriage (only 6 weeks). I have to say that even though I am very young I was extremely happy and excited at the thought of a baby! I was so emotional after my miscarriage and I felt as though the doctor didn't give me as much respect because of my age, he told me it was "helpful" to my culture (as I am pacific islander and in the country I live in we have alot of young ladies getting pregnant) I thought even though that was true, it was really rude and ignorant for him to say something like that to me. He even asked me whether my miscarriage was a "good or bad" thing. That was just stupid!.
I did not receive a D&C and at the time i did not know of it so i did not ask whether or not i should be having one. I got an infection and had to take antibiotics. Although you may judge me I am trying to conceive again. However since the miscarriage (about a year ago) I have not been able to do so. I still have hope and I wish all the best to the rest of you women who are trying to conceive again.