Maternal & Child Community
Long period after miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Long period after miscarriage?

I had a miscarriage the last week of July and just got my period 2 weeks ago.  The problem it is still going on.  I have been bleeding for 2 weeks, only 2 heavy days the rest pretty light.  Does this seem normal after a miscarriage?  Anyone else ever have this trouble?  Thanks
How far along were you before the m/c? The farther along you were, the more messed up your cycle is likely to be. Have you called your Dr?
I was one day shy of being 13 weeks.  Doc told me to give it another week since it is not heavy bleeding
That does sound within normal. I agree with your Dr. If it is light, it will probably stop soon. If it gets heavy again though, you should call him right away.
How long did you bleed after the M/C? Cause I just had the M/C and am still bleeding (almost three weeks)...well not bleeding...spotting...or light brownish discharge.

Did you have a D and C?

Did you have an ultrasound to see if everything was out?  You might need one....but the fact that you are bleeding is probably good because if you did have anything left over your body is cleaning it out.....
With my m/c my first period after was really heavy and lasted around 2 weeks, but I had only a few lighter days, a good 10 days was really heavy.  I think it just takes awhile to get it all out of your system.  My Dr. was notr surprised by my period and said it was good, meant that my body was doing it's job.  Hope it stops soon for you though, it's not that fun.
I had m/c about 2 weeks ago.  I was only 5 weeks.  My miscarriage was like a normal period for me.  Just a little heavier on the first day.  So, I would say the further along you are the longer the bleeding will last.  Good luck to you and blessings!
I had a natural m/c at 12 weeks and bleed for over 2 weeks and then my period after that was awful its was so heavy and clotting thought I had to go to doctor but it stopped just after 2 weeks I think its just your body cleaning itself out after that my periods were normal well I only had 2 then got preg again and are 32weeks now I gave my body 3 months to recover as there was no way I'd ever want to go thru that again. I think as you were close to 13 weeks thats why your bleeding a little longer nothing to worry about. Sorry for you loss its hard to get to that far and miscarry my baby died at close to 12 weeks and I didnt know I started bleeding and 3 days later passed a baby that was very traumatic but I got to meet my little one and know they are in heaven now. take care.
I also THINK that i MC i just had a very heavy period this mth on the first day i saw clots.....and it went like a normal period it was still blotting yesterday....... i have a dr appointment today for 2:00Pm so i would know for sure. i also feel very drained like sleepy....
well if it is so im sorry. i know you have been trying for some time. hopefully it is just your period but if not, at least you know you can concieve (conceive)!!!!the best to you
thanks love....you haven't spoken to me in awhile....thanks again...but it wasn't so i didn't conceive...:)
I was going to ask a similar question to the 1st one, cos I had my 2nd m/c this year on 25th Aug, I was 7 weeks.  On the 25th Sept I had a period started off quite heavy with a few clots then calmed down and became really light and spotting. Today is the 1st day since that theres nothing, so its been not far off a month! I was wondering if this was normal? I no it prob sounds daft but Im 2 scared 2 go 2 the dr's bout it incase they tell me somethings wrong. Can anyone give any advise please? Thanks in advance xxx
I too lost my baby.  I was 16.5 weeks along if you went by my last period and 15 weeks and 1 day if you went by an early ultrasound (in hind sight we think the baby may have been growng improperly/slowly right from the start).  I went in for a regular dr appt and they couldn't find a heartbeat.  When they did the ultrasound the baby died or stopped growing at 10.5 weeks.  Anyways, I bled for 6 weeks after the D and C.  2 weeks later I had a my first period and it lasted for over two weeks.  And now I just finished my second period and it also lasted over two weeks.  I was just wondering if anyone else has had more than one period that was really long and if anyone knows if it is the sign of a problem?  Before my first period I had gotten a positive pregnancy test, then a few days later a negative one and mt period so I'm just worried that something is wrong and that's why that really early pregnancy didn't pan out.