Maternal & Child Community
Lortab in pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Lortab in pregnancy

I am six weeks along in my pregnancy and I suffer from severe lower back pain.  I have been taking Lortab to releive the pain, but I am worried about continuing the medication.  My doctor says it is okay, but that still has not put me at ease.  I am worried that the medication will affect my baby, but I am in a great deal of pain without it.  Any advice on my situation would be great...
I have had unexpectedly good results for my lower back pain using those Thermacare (or drugstore brand equivalent) heat packs that go in a wrap around your waist. I know you can't put heat on your belly but I think behind your spine would be okay but check with your dr. They aren't very hot anyway, just warm. You can position them exactly where you need them & they stay warm for 8-10 hrs. I was very surprised they kept my back relaxed and I didn't need any pain meds for a few days when it got strained. Might help a little anyway. Good luck.
I have a lower lumber disk herniation and am now carrying my third child. I do not use meds unless I cannot breath through the pain, I, too, prefer the heat wraps or some other variation of moist heat. If you truly are worried about it, try to find another way to ease the pain such as heat, stretching, etc.

Andi
it's never really good to take medication during pregnancy, but your doctor says it's okay.  the two ingredients are tylenol and hydrocodone.  taking tylenol is okay during your pregnancy, actually it's really the only one the dr's recommend.  the hydrocodone is the problem.  it is preg. category c so it us undetermined if it is harmful to the baby.  is there any way you can try just extra strength tylenol?  lortab is mostly that anyway.
Thank you so much for all your responses.  I really do feel much better now.  I have been using a heating pad at work because I sit at a computer all day.  It has helped some.  It's just nice to have a place on-line to discuss all my concerns with women who know much more than I do.  This is my 2nd pregnancy, but my 1st ended in a miscarriage at 19 weeks.  Obviously after making it that far into my pregnancy, I am paranoid about everything this time around.  Your comments and advice are greatly appreciated!
They are mostly concerned with the baby becoming addicted towards the end of the pregnancy.  Now days, there isn't so much issue with it.  They can switch you to something else at the end of the pregnancy if you are on high doses.

You can take Tylenol3, hydrocodone, oxycodone, and demerol during pregnancy.  You can also take butalbital but it won't help for back pain I wouldn't thing.

I've taken oxycodone, hydrocodone and tylenol three through all of my pregnancies.  My two children are fine.  I have had three miscarriage but they have been totally unrelated to medications, (1st was a molar, 2nd got pregnant too soon after molar, 3 downs syndrome).

Obviously if you can go without the medications or find alternate therapies, then that would be the way to go.  However, don't feel guilty or stress yourself too much if the pain is umbearable.  

Good luck.  I hope your pregnancy goes very well.
I am 20yrs old and 3mos. pregnant.
I have had several surgeries and also take lortab for pain.
People may say that it's not much risk but nothing can be good for anyone in excess.

....
Iam 38 weeks preg and have been taking lortab my whole way threw i go to a high risk clince and they have told me he will be in ice for a feww day to be  detocted but  i took have serve back and leg pain and im in a wheel chair they have done lots of test and everything is fine with my son. I fell terriably knowing he has to go through with drawal but  there is a reason why God gave him to me .