Maternal & Child Community
Loss of mucous plug

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Loss of mucous plug

Okay I know this sounds a little gross but I was wondering if it was possible to lose the mucous plug when you are only 27 weeks along?  And what does it really look like?  I think this may have happened to me yesterday and it really freaked me out but I do not know if maybe it was only a very large discharge, I really do not think it was b/c I have never seen anything like it before.  I apologize if this is tmi.  Is it a bad sign that this may have happened so early?
It's clear jelly like substance (almost like regular discharge) if I remember correctly.  You could possibly lose some of it and not all.

Call you dr to be sure
The mucus plug should have a pink tinge to it...
Tris:
27 weeks may be too early to lose your mucus plug and you probably want it to stay put since it's suppose to protect your baby from infection.  Definitely call your doctor.  I'm almost 36 wk 5 days and *believe* I lost it 3 days ago.  It is really not THAT gross.  It looks like thicken-up vaginal discharge at first, but much clearer.  It took me about 24-hr to totally lose it.  By mid-way, it looks a little brown at first, then more clear stuff comes out and then there's some streaks of pink.  That's how I decide it's my mucus plug.  It's different for everyone.  Some people's are much bloodier I heard.

Everyone:
My question is how long after losing my mucus plug will I go in labor?  Anyone?  My baby was engaged last week and I am 2 cm dilated, plus my mucus plug fell out 3 days ago.  Thanks!
It could also just be an increased of normal preggo discharge...Lochia (sp)
Call your doc.
I remember having similar discharge when I was about 28 weeks or so, I called my doctor and they said it probably was not the mucous plug, just more normal discharge. WHo knows. I was at 1 cm at 34 weeks though and my doctor said that I did not have a mucous plug at that time. My dr said that not everyone actually has a "plug". It can be just mucousy stuff that comes out slowly also. I don't remember ever losing anything that looked like a plug though. My "plug" has been gone for several weeks, I'm now in the 40th week, and still no signs of going into labor yet. Ugh! Don't worry too much about having extra discharge, if you start having contractions or your water breaks, then it would be more important to get help fast.
You can lose it and still not have the baby for quite some time, but I believe this requires a higher level of cautiousness on your since its purpose is to protect the baby from infection, etc. Definitely call your dr since you may need to make daily adjustments (i.e. maybe no more baths, just showers).
Some people lose it and start dialating a long time before going into labor and ultimately delivering, but others end up getting induced A MONTH OR MORE after losing it. My husband and I care for a baby who is a prime example of this ... her birth mother lost her plug 2-3 weeks before the baby was born and was induced a couple of weeks early because the baby was malnourished (birth mom was 16, refused to eat more than a bag of chips for dinner most days). The induction had NOTHING to do with the loss of the plug; if she would have eaten properly, she probably would have carried the baby several more weeks. However, she was induced for the baby's safety since the stress on the baby kept increasing.
If you are still concerned, check out the following link for more info: http://www.justmommies.com/articles/mucous-plug.shtml. Best wishes!
Triss,
If you lost your mucus plug, it means you're beginning to dilate.  At 27 weeks, your doctor absolutely needs to know as it could mean preterm labor.  Call now.

I never saw my mucus plug, but from what I understand it's really thick mucus, with a brown or pink tinge to it.
Thanks so much for all the replies.  After reading all of your descriptions I think that it may just be an increased discharge.  There was no pink tinge and was not clear.  I will still ask the doctor but I do not think I have anything to worry about.  It just really freaked me out.  In my prenatal class they had said it is not abnormal to lose it a month before or sometimes even earlier but it is not very common. Anyways thanks ladies!!!
have you been beding with dh my guess is its the naughty stuff when your pregnant it sort of comes out later in big clumps of jelly like substance i have had 2 pregnancies and it happened to me both times towards end of pregnancy. it never happened at the start for som reason anyway you should call your doctor the baby is far to small to be born yet i would say thats what it is though a mixture of the good stuff sorry didnt no what else to call it.
is it ok to have sex when you have lost your mucous plug
I lost mine at 26 weeks too! My doctor made me go in for all this testing for preterm labor, and she said that I wasn't dialated or effaced.  I am now almost 35 wks. The plug is gone, but my little guy is still not moving.. :) Still happy as a clam sucking his thumb in there. So My doctor told me not to worry at this point which is good. However- it would be nice to know or have an incling... of when he was actually thinking about coming into this world. :) For his tired mothers sake. :P