Maternal & Child Community
Low Dose Aspirin During Pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low Dose Aspirin During Pregnancy?

I was wondering if any one had heard anything about taking low dose aspirin before conceiving and during early pregnancy.  I have had two recent m/c and over the last few months have heard great things about women taking low dose aspirin and having successful pregnancies after m/c.  The only problem is that while I have heard from lots of girls that their doctors say it doesn't hurt to take it mine says absolutely not to take any aspirin at all.  I was wondering if anyone had spoken to their doctor about the risks/benefits of low dose aspirin during pregnancy and what the doctors opinion was???  Any information you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.
I took baby aspirin while trying to conceive and during my pg.  A baby aspirin is okay, but I would get consent of your dr.  It makes more sense to test for the reasons you would need it (many clotting disorders cause m/c-i had factor 5 lyden-sp?; i have heard other girls on forum talk of other names-not sure if same thing or not)  Your doctor can and should test for these types of things b/c of your m/c.  Then you would know if you needed it or not, and wouldn't just be taking it to take it.  Good luck to you.  btw, on this forum and even more on the infertility/fertility forum if you want to search the phrase "aspirin."  I hope this helps!
I agree with doctorjayhawk and her advice. I recently was diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder MTHFR which I would need to take a baby aspirin or low dose adult aspirin 81mg once a day to help the blood flow. I started taking one before conceiving and still taking one every morning and I am now 7w pregnant. It was the advice of my doctor but you need to check with yours.

Christie
My doctor said it was okay to take 81mg aspirin a day, but no full strength aspirin or Ibuprofen.
My OB had me begin taking it right after my miscarriage in June, but mine is due to a thyroid disorder called Hashimoto's.  The aspirin isn't proven to help this, but I guess it helps to supress the anitbodis in my system that cause this disorder.  I am pregnant now and he is having me continue aspirin until the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy.  I know it won't hurt, but I would be sure to take it under dr. orders.
I have had 2 m/c.  After the second I started seeing a specialist who advised the baby aspirin daily.  My regular OB on the other hand, said that he didn't think I was "risky" enough to need the aspirin.  I am taking it based on the specialist reccomendation and I am 8 weeks, 1 day pregnant...still hanging in there:)

I was wondering what the true risks are and I can't seem to find any.  
My OB not only recommended a daily aspirin for me, I also have to take Lovenox injections daily.  Those are blood thinners as well.  She was concerned that I was having m/cs due to blood clotting.
I took 81mg of aspirin until I was about 12 1/2 weeks per my infertility doctor and am now 18w5d with twins.
I am FVL hetero and am 4-5 weeks pregnant. Already had 2 m/c at 6weeks, but both the specialist and i agree that the FVL did not cause the m/c. Anyway, he did say that i should take one baby aspririn a day throughout this entire pregnancy. When I asked about the Lovenox shots, he didn't think I needed them. I have no history of blood clots, but he did say it was up to me if I wanted to do the shots.
I am 38 weeks pregnant and was put on aspirin (75mg)daily from 4 weeks until 36 weeks pregnant,due to two missed miscarriages,i was not tested for any blood disorders,it was just a precaution,i was also put on progesterone pessarys for the first 12 weeks.The aspirin has not done me or my baby any harm,i think it is the aspirin that helped me get this far.
i had 3 mc was tested now with t4.doc recommend 75mg asprin.not sure should take or not
I saw a fertility specialist who put me on 81mg baby aspirin a day before I conceived and continued the baby aspirin throughout the entire pregnancy.  My OB was fine w/it and said that it actually helps with fertility. He made it clear to take a baby aspirin and not regular strength aspirin.
I had a Still Birth Last Year In July And i Got Advised That When i Next Get Pregnant To Start Taking 75mg Of Asprin each Day As Soon As. When Ive Been Telling People Theyve Bin Looking At me Weird And Saying ASPRIN? But If Its Gonna Help Me Have Healthy Baby This Time Im Gonna Carry On Taking Them untill i Get Told To Stop.
Hope This Helped. x
Did all of you have a blood clotting test done before being told to take the baby aspirin?
I miscarried on 03.30.2010 and my OB told me to take the aspirin when I find out I'm pregnant again. I wasn't checked for any disorder yet and don't know if really need the aspirin. When I was pregnant with my 21 month old, my blood was actually too thin and I had to thicken it up with vitamin K, though my doctor's idea was to give me steroid shots. Do you think the clotting could change on its own?  
really it is dangerous to take it unless your dr thinks you may have a blood clotting problem and tells you to take it! It can casue mc!!!!!

I would make your dr check your progesterone to make sure it is OK and try taking that instead to prevent mc. THere have been more studies on that which helps better in most cases