Maternal & Child Community
Low Fetal Heart Rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low Fetal Heart Rate

I've had one miscarriage in the past and I'm pregnant again. I went in for my first transvaginal ultrasound last week and measured 5 wks, 6 days. They saw a heartbeat and said it was 105 bpm. Is this normal or low? The doc feels that I don't need to come back in until my 10th week. Should I try and go back during week 8? Or is this heart rate in the normal range for where I'm at in my pregnancy? I'm also on 200 mg Prometrium due to having progesterone of 15.5. Has anyone else experienced this?
You're still early so anything over 100 bpm is good.  It will pick up speed now and be higher the next time.  That is why your doctor is not concerned.

I did not have to take progesterone with my pg so I'm no help with that question.
that sounds like a good heartbeat to me.  My last pg the HB was at 118 at 6.1 wks. So it changes everyday.  I think it needs to be above 120 by week 8 or there will be concern.  I don't think you need to worry, but I understand.  My doctor gave me u/s every week after my 1st m/c but because I was having complications again.  If you're not spotting or cramping then I think they'll treat you like a normal pregnancy and not high risk.
With my first baby I had a sono at 7 weeks for bleeding. They told me after the sono that I was only between 5-6 weeks. The heartbeat was in the 90's. I had a healthy baby girl 8 mo later so it must have been fine.
that is more then ok at at this time in pregnancy where did you get the idea tgat it wasent good luck
I had v.ultrasound on 12/31 no hb only fetal pole. hcg 12,900.
another uts on 1/3 and the found a flickering heart beat 107. from nothing to 107 i'm six weeks my lmp was 11/21/05 so i'm about six weeks. I thank its just to soon. Keep is touch, it sound like we are in the same boat. my hcg was 27,800 what was your at the time of ultrasound? take care
I'm not sure what my hcg was. I'm assuming it was normal because the doctor wasn't concerned at all. My breasts still hurt (but not everyday) and I'm starting to feel a little nauseaus from time to time. I hope this pregnancy works out...it's looking good so far. How are you doing? I really can't wait until 10 weeks for the next ultrasound. (I'm 7 weeks 2 days today).
I am in the same boat.  I am not sure if the heartrate is too low.  I am 8w1d today.  The heartrate is about 130.  at 6w5d it was 118.  So to me it seems like it is not raising as quickly as it should.  The Dr didn't seem concerned.  Everything I have found online says it should be at at least 150.  Any know anything?
That rate sounds fine to me.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  At my 14 week appt. DS's rate was 130 bpm.  At 18 weeks he was at 147 bpm.
6 wks 1 day, I have had bleeding and cramping. I go for another ultra sound Wed. 25th.  I don't know if my little one is still with us, but I was told that my vaginal ultra sound, that they could not measure the heartbeat because their machine was not sophisticated enough.  This was a top leading facility in Abington Hospital for Repro.  I feel like I can't trust anyone.  I wanted to know if the beats were over 90.  Anything over that sounds good to me.  I'm just a little frustrated and sad at this moment.  Good Luck and God Bless us all:)
According to my last msp I should be 9 weeks today.
I am a high risk due to seizures, so we did a vaginal sonogram last week. The baby measured only 6w3d. The heart rate was 113 and was irregular - I could cleary define the arrhythimia on the screen.
Due to the low rate I was scheduled for a 1wk follow up - this was yesterday.
Repeated the sonogram & baby only measured 6w2d!!!!!!!!!! Heart rate was down to 98bpm.  
We did blood work to determine the influx (or not) of hormones.
I go back for more bloodwork on Thursday.
I get the results on Friday. My doctor told me to prepare for a loss, not to have any unreal expectations of this being a viable pregnancy.
Has ANYONE had a healthy baby following similar situations??
Waiting is absolute torture. I go between tears and acceptance every other hour.
Do I have ANY hope whatsoever?
I'm 6w2d and I'm freaking out. My pregnancy seemed to be going well but yesterday I received the news that my babys heart rate was 58 bpm. My doctor told me not to jump to conclusions... that there was still a possibility of a good, healthy pregnancy but I don't belive it. I've been so depressed: non stop crying, lying in bed and not really doing anything.
the baby;s rate starts low and they say increases about three beats per minute each day
I freaked when mine was 98 or 105 (can't remember which)  at 6w2days and tech said that was low
I got on here and learned from others
good luck
Im 61/2 weeks had a sono and the babys heart beat was 98.The tech said it should be 120 or higher .Dr says could be because im sick but didnt seem too worried.I ofcourse am worried. He put me on antibiotics and for a week another untill the next sono.Wish me luck.
I'm in the same boat as some of you.  This is my first pregnancy, I'm in my sixth week.  The heartrate was about 95.  My doc told me she expects this is a bad sign because the heart rate should be 150, she told me to expect that there may not be a heartbeat by my next appointment.  I have been terrified all week.  I felt better that Im not the only one, and that this may actually maybe normal.
I just had my first u/s yesterday, and I'm at 6w4d, but only measured at 5w6d. The hr was 100, and the technician and nurse practitioner both said it's slow, so I'm totally freaked out. then I looked online and found information that says that the heart rate should be between 90 bpm and 110 bmp at 5 -6 wks, so I'm so confused! Shouldn't the technician and nurse know that, and if so, wouldn't I be considered right in the middle of normal, and not slow?? Anyone know? I'm going back for a follow up u/s on Monday, and I"m just praying that the baby is ok. I'm so scared though.

Dani, at 6 wks the hr should def not be at 150! Everything I've read said the heart just starts beating at 5 or 6 wks, it would be odd if it was already at 150! I think your doc told you the wrong thing.
i had my first sono at week 5-6 and the babys heart rate measured 108 bmp.my first doc gave me progesterone tablets i took a second opinion and the other doc said i need to get bed rest for the next 3 weeks and get shots of HCG two times a week.. ive experience slight tightness in my stomach eversince the onset of the Pregnancy sometimes even slight pain..doc says i may be at a non viable pregnancy. the sono tech said the heart rate will pick up speed.. i dunno wat to belive.. i just hope the not moving frm bed helps and i have a health baby by the end of this ordeal.
Just letting anyone out there who reads this and is worried about fetus heart rate in early stages should try not to stress too much. On our first ultrasound at 6 weeks the heart rate was only 75bpm and we were freaking out because that is low and have heard there's a high chance of miscarriage but by 7 weeks 3 days it was up to 160bpm.
So positive thinking and i hope all goes well.
I am having the same problem as the first poster only I have diagnosed as pregnant with Twins but one sac is way smaller and doesn't show a baby yet and the other one has a heart beat of 106bpm which they said was low.

I am just waiting it out I am also on 200MG of Prometrium but I dont know the level of my progesterone. I do know I was on prometrium  with my 2nd daughter and everything turned out ok. Dr's would have you on bed rest or tell you the truth. They ahve to by law. But dont freak out unless there is a reason to.

think positively that there is at least a heart rate. I agree with previous posters over 100 is a good sign! :) Patience and relax, stress isn't good for the baby.
Counting from my lmp i thought i was 8 weeks but when i went for a vaginal ultra sound the doctor said that i was only 6weeks and the baby's hb is 107bmp the ob said everything looks fine.  I am also on the progesterone 25mg supp. I had a missed abortion June 2010 @ 5weeks and i had no m/s and i am having the same problem with this pregnancy just headaches and moodiness (so sorry for my husband) i'm still a bit freaked out but i'm trying to be stress free for my baby.