Maternal & Child Community
Low Fetal Heart Tones 6 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low Fetal Heart Tones 6 weeks

My dr put me on Clomid because I had a miscarriage in December '02.  I started the clomid in April (50mg) and in May it went up to 100mg.  My dr said that I didn't ovulate with this cycle (my 21 day progesterone test was 5.1) but two weeks later I found out I was pregnant.  I went in for a pregnancy test and my hcg levels came back at 282, two days later they went up to 573, after another two days they went up to 1480 (at 5 weeks exactly).  She also did another progesterone test at that time and it went up to 15.3 (three weeks since the last test).  My dr was happy with the results so she set me up for an u/s for one week later (week 6).  

So I went in and I measured exactly six weeks according to the transvag. u/s and there was a heartbeat that measured 103.  They also did a another hcg and it was up to 8,295.  My dr wasn't able to call me until today and she said that she was happy with all of the blood work (hcg & progesterone tests) but she was concerned about the heartbeat being so low.  She asked if I had started to spot or bleed or anything, which I haven't.  I told her that I have been feeling sick a lot of the time and had several other symptoms as well, which was different than last time so I was hopeful that everything would work out.  

I have been very concerned that at 6 weeks the fetal tones were so low, but I have read a lot of information that says that the fetal tones can go up and that 100-130 is common during this week.  

Is any of this information I found true?  Any thoughts at all? Help!!
I would not worry to much because when I went for my first ultrasound, the heart rate was 109 and the doctor said it was a little low and wanted to do another US in 3 weeks, when I went back at 9 weeks the heart rate was up and every thing was just fine. They said even though the baby was so little it might have been laying wrong or was just asleep. Good luck

I've been through IVF and have finally become pregnant.
I am approximating that the fetus is on day 28 today.  I've experienced bleeding on days 23 and 26.  Each time I've had an u/s and blood work and both came back normal (I'm measuring where I should be and HCG was up to 19000).  However, on ultrasound they have yet to see a fetal heart beat.  My doctor said we are on the cusp of this, and I'm to go back in about a week, but books I've read say it should begin at 4 weeks.
Does this pregnancy have a chance of making it?  This is so hard.
Thanks for sharing everyone, I went in for my first vag u/s today, thinking I was about 8-9 weeks along, I am unsure about my LMP, estimating it at Jan. 11th, because I have no recollection of having a period in Feb. I took my first pregnancy test March 2nd (ept test that says preg/not preg to cut out the grey area) that was positive.
So to make a long story short, my little baby egg is very small, it looks like pics I've seen from a 6 week u/s. My doc was kinda surprised by how small it was, there was a yolk sac, but she didnt say anything abuot heart tones. Just commented on how small when she measured it. So went to the lab for an HCG level, and going back for another in 2 days. Doc said it's either fine and I am way off on my dates, abnormally developing, or it has stopped developing and in the process of miscarriage. Guess I just wanted to share with people who have been or are going through the same. This is my first pregnancy...
I wanted to tell you to still have faith in God because I know how you are feeling.  Today my doctor told me I was 8 weeks and no heart tones. They told me the same thing like you.  Of course I got very scared and nervous.  But my family told me not to worry.  A friend told me her baby's heart tones didn' t show up till 13 weeks.  So I know we still have hope and leave our babies in God's hands!  Take care and God Bless!! :)