Maternal & Child Community
Low Fetal heartrate at 6 weeks 1 day

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low Fetal heartrate at 6 weeks 1 day

I had my first Ultrasound at 6 weeks 1 day on Monday.  It took a long time to find a tiny fetus and the heart rate was only 97.

The tech looked disappointed and asked me if I had been spotting or bleeding, I told her no, not at all....she said we'll see what happens'
I am so sad and depressed now....I thought it was supposed to be 140 and higher to be healthy????  I guess I just don't understand...at 30 Days Past Ovulation my hcg was only 40,041....it was doubling every 27-30 hrs, now its doubling almost every 90 hours...I already had a miscarriage this year...I hate to have another one.  Any advice? I go for the second ultrasound on Wed the 23rd....
6 weeks is VERY early to see a heartbeat, as the embryo gets bigger the heart will speed up.  Your dates could be off by a few days too.

As long as your numbers are going up and you don't have any cramping or bleeding you should be OK.  It doesn't hurt to ask for another ultrasound in another week or so either.

Good luck!!!
I remember with my first pregnancy I was bleeding at around 7 weeks so I went in for an ultrasound. They finally found the sac and the baby and the heartbeat was in the 90's. They told me that I was really only 5.5-6 weeks and that was a normal heartrate for that early. I never had known that. A few weeks later it was up in the 150's .Eight months later I had a healthy baby girl. I wouldn't worry yet.
I was in th esame place at 6 weeks and I posted on here too!
the tech said the hb was low (101)  And I had been bleeding - well I was frantic till me doc called me he said he was so frutrated all she was supposed to do was say cardiac activity yes or no - he said that is way too early to get a heart rate
I wish you the best - and i hope you can stay calm
a man replied when I posted and said he saw on internet that the rate starts at moms rate and increases3 beats per day??  So I searched internet and found that too
I really wish you the best of luck
thanks for the reassurance.  But if I measure at just ablut 7 weeks, there is no way that I am just 5 weeks and thats why its low.  I used OPK's and I got a positive OPK on Oct 14th so I ovulated on the 15th, 16th...making me 6 weeks and some days...almost 7 weeks just like the lab tech said....

I go again next Wed..I will be 7 weeks and some days then...I hope things have progressed better by then.....
I have been reading at this site all afternoon. I received a call from my midwife today asking me to come in for a follow up scan. I had an u/s on Friday and was told I was 6 weeks 1 day gestation age. I started to panic. Based on my lmp, I was convinced I would be around 7 weeks 5 days. However, I was told that baby looked good, I was just earlier than I thought.  We saw the baby and the heart beating. HR was in the 90's. Is it possible that I ovulated on day 24 or 25 of my cycle or am I doomed to lose this pregnancy? I have not been cramping or bleeding--on the contrary, I have been nauseous and tender breasted. Which leads me to remain optimistic. What are your thoughts?
This discussion had stopped in Nov 18 of 2005 you may want to repost on a new page to get answers.
I am ?? six weeks two days, and I had my first intravaginal ultrasound due to spotting. The US tech said that in the six week time period a normal heart rate is 90-115 beats per minute and not to worry. I so empathize with everyone because I have been worrying myself to death as well.
i was in the same situation at 7 weeks hr was only 79 and by week 11 i was up to 164. in my 17th week of pregnancy and everything looks good. stay positive and hope for the best.
I had a internal ultrasound today due to spotting..  I am six weeks and 4 days.  The heart rate was 128.  Doc said the baby looked beautiful!  But they told me the baby measured at 7 weeks 4 days.  So at six weeks I would say that the 90 is just fine.  Usually they don't even get a heart beat that early.  Good luck I am sure you are fine.
I am 6 weeks 1 day and got my first internal u/s because I had some spotting and cramping. I was so scared but u/s tech could get a 112 heart rate. I hope this is good and that everything will go well. This is my first pregnancy and I am 36.
I just went for my 1st OB/Sono this AM.  The Dr. told me size was perfect at 2.7 and the sac and yolk were all where they needed to be, but the heart rate was only 107 bpm and normally they look for 120 bpm.  I am 6 weeks and 2 days, so it's a bit early still and usually a ob sono is done at 7 or 8 weeks so I have to go back next week, but am nervous?  This is my 2nd pregnancy--but 1st through IVF.  I am remaining positive, but any feedback would be helpful to calm my nerves....
I went to dr today and had us done. I am 6 wks 1 day with hr of 82 which was the same as last friday, nov. 13th.  The incline of hcg is slow and my dr is concerned that this may be an abnormal pregnancy. I am 40 and have never miscarried. My daughter is 9.  This is my second pregnancy. I am so stressed and worried. My hcg friday was 4910 and the wednesday before that it was 4599. It only went up 311. I am so worried. They have me doing hcg testing and ultrasounds every 2 days.
I am in the same situation as you. I went in for an u/s last Wednesday and the heart rate was 88.  At that time they expected that I was 6 weeks and 6 days.  I have another u/s this thursday (11/19).  I also have a daughter and have never miscarried.  To date my pregnancy symptoms (nausea and breast tenderness) are still there, although I have had some spotting in the last two weeks, which was the reason for the original u/s.   My doctor has not provided much information to me about this which has led to my complete obsession with researchng this on the internet.  I can completely relate to your worry.  This week long wait has been horrible and I still have 2 days left before we go back.  I am thinking and praying for you.  
Hi. Im going through a similar situation. Monday I went in for my 8 week sono and first ob visit. This is my third pregnancy. We have really been ttc and we were very happy when we got our positive test only 8 dpo. anyway at the sono the tech asked me if I was sure my dates were correct, baby is measuring 2 weeks smaller, which is impossible because I had a positive pregnancy test before I would have been pregnant if in fact I was only 6 w 1 d pregnant. on top of that the baby's hr was only 53....Im devastated and can only hope for a miracle....I had my progesterone tested also and it had dropped to 11.3 (I think it needs to be over 20), so Im on supplements for that... any hope???? please help. I go back for a sono after thanksgiving.
I'm 6weeks today but went in at 5w4d for my first u/s and there was not a heartbeat. My doc told me not to worry that that was normal. Going back this Friday and will be 6w4d. Hope to see a good heartbeat then. Will keep ya posted.
I have been searching all over the internet in hope of some kind of relief. I went to the doc on friday by this time based on my last period they said i was about 9 wks pregnant. I had and u/s and found out i was only 5wks and 6 days pregnant. The tech showed no concerns and said everything looked fine. When me and my husband went back in to the room we waited about 20 minutes and the doc said our baby had a 50\50 chance of living because of the baby's heart late was low...Not much was said she set up another appointment the following monday.. I have been stressing and praying, i guess i need some more info on this if anyone has any..Thanks for reading this and good luck to everyone else out there you are all in my prayers.
The baby's heart rate is bound to be low if you are only in your 5 weeks. They shouldn't have even told you the heart rate yet until you were in your 6 weeks or 7th week. That is when they can a get a more clear heart rate rather than at 5 weeks. The baby's heart beat just starts beating at 5 weeks and begins beating 80 to 85 bpm. Then it increases 3.3 beats per day. You should be fine and don't worry about it too much. Stress is never good. Just patiently wait until your next ultrasound and you will see that everything is going to be just fine.
I first had ultrasound when I was only 5 weeks,2 days becuase my HCG levels were not rising to my doctor's expectations even though they were doubling. At this time, we did a transvaginal ultrasound and all we could see is a sac that he said was measuring small. He gave me a 50/50 chance of survival. He also checked my HCG level and saw that numbers are 1875 which he said was good. We then scheduled me for another ultrasound this past Tuesday, which I made 6 weeks, 3 days. We then saw the baby and the heartbeat. The sac was still measuring small by 0.75 which I dont' consider that much of a big deal even though sometimes it is a concern since it can cause a miscarriage. He said the heartbeat is a little slow, 100bpm. However, when i did research online it says the heartbeat of a fetus at 6 weeks should be between 90-110 bpm. As long as it is between 140 and 170bpm by 9 weeks, then everything is fine. He scheduled me for another ultrasound next Tuesday, the 29th. Then we shall see if the heartbeat got stronger and hopefully my gestational sac bigger. Everybody's different and I wouldnt worry too much. Worrying too much can hurt your baby when there might not even be a problem at all. Just patiently wait until your next ultrasound and you will then know for sure.
By the way, i don't he counted the heart rate right because he was counting it too fast like he was in a hurry. He either had to count the beats for a minute or 15 seconds and i don't think he did neither.
Went in for my first check up. Sonogram says I was 5 weeks and 6 days. Heart beat was 95. Googled like crazy. Some sites say it is normal some say not so much.  Doc gives me a 55%/45% chance. Keep me in your prayers. Really want this baby. No spotting, bleading, nausea but never threw up. Cramping for 2 weeks but not extreme.  Please please reply.
i went to the doc last tues. and they did an vag u/s and it said i was 5.4weeks the hb ws at 98 my doc wanted to do another u/s  week later and this time they could not find a heartbeat but the baby mesured 6.3 they are testing my hcg levels is there any hope?
yeaah im bout six weeks.n three days and when i went to the dr.yesterday my fetels heart rate was 96 and i was worried bc i had a miscarriage earlier this yr
Hi there

i"m confused on oct 15th 2010 i had an ultrasound the tech said i was 3 weeks but the printed results said the GS was 1.2cm which measures out to be 5 weeks and 3 days no heart beat my last period was on Aug 6th 2010 i did another u/s on Oct 21st exactly 1 week later and the tech said i was 6 weeks 1 day heart rate 149.25 beats per min but from what i have been reading i believe i may be older than 6 weeks i am seriously confused and would like someone to help me  figure out just how far along i might be....ps...i pray everyone little bump is doing fine and may your worries be eased ...take care and thanks in advance.
I am 6wks and 4 days I just went to the hospital yesterday because I was bleeding they did an internal ultrasound and the heart beat was at 110 they told me I was at high risk of miscarage too! This is my 4th child I have never been through this at all! I'm very scared and don't know what to do!
I went today for my first u/s and my baby's HR was only 76... I'm due for another u/s next week where they will check it again...I'm so nervous now reading about all of u that were nervous w a HOUR in the 90s...now I'm really scared!!!!
Just a thought... I know that this is hard for all of us, but for those of you who have already had healthy pregnancies and babies, please choose your words carefully.  I am in the middle of losing my second pregnancy.  Who knows if we'll even ever be able to have children since my doctor is concerned that there are genetic abnormalities preventing me from carrying a fetus.  So if you already have been blessed and are TTC #3 or #4, please know that it is hard to read that you are so completely devastated over a loss.  I get it - any loss is hard.  But I would give my right arm to have just one baby at this point.  
While my heart goes out to those ladies who have trouble falling pregnant, I really don't think it was appropriate for you to say that because we have surviving children  we can't say we are completely devastated over a loss. How can you say this? Its like me saying sheesh you might have trouble conceiving because of genetic disfunction why try and have kids in the first place? DON'T GET ME WRONG. I AM NOT SAYING THAT, but I am using it as an example at how much your comment would hurt. I miscarried I have had 4 children, and I can say that I was devastated when I lost my baby.
It's been quite some time....I hope everything worked out for you :)
We had an ultrasound at 6 weeks 1 day, heart beat was 112.  I asked if that was good and the tech just said it gets faster as you get further along (that didn't help me much, what's that supposed to mean!) I scoured the internet for information and later when the doctor called me back to follow up she said it was normal so I just try to remind myself of that.  Best of luck to everyone and thanks for sharing all your stories, it really helps knowing I'm not the only one that freaks out about everything!
A little advice would sure help.  I was surely shocked to find out 2 weeks ago that i was pregnant after being told for the last year that i would not be able to conceive without fertility treatments.  I am estimated to be about 8 weeks/6 weeks according to ultrasound.  ???All of that is a little confusing to me.  Anyhow, the first ultrasound 2 weeks ago didnt reveal much but the yolk sack and not sign of the fetus.  However last tuesday the second ultrasound did show the fetus and a very clear heart beat on screen.  When i followed up with the doctor for results on thursday it was quite heart wrenching.  I was told that the FHR was at about 86 BPM which was a pretty sure sign of my body attempting to miscarry.  I have been reading numerous articles to try and get some piece of mind and am not sure what to think.  Any advice would be appreciated and im not scared to hear what is necessary.  I think i can agree with most of the women on here that the not knowing is crushing.  I feel for each one of you and am truly sorry for the ones who have lost.  God Bless you All and THank you!
I am 7wks pregnant today.  I had an emergency u/s yesterday(Monday), due to some spotting that started on Friday, and led to bleeding on Sunday(now Tuesday).  The u/s showed a very slow fetal heartbeat. The tech said that she couldn't even pick up the speed of the heartbeat.  Considering the bleeding and the slow heartbeat, my doc did not have a very positive outlook for me.  She basically sent me home to M/C, but did say that she has seen a situation like this turn out ok before.  Is there any hope for me?  I have not really been cramping,  and have not passed any tissue.  Should my doc have done a pelvic exam to see if I was dilated?  Should she have checked my hormone levels?  I also should mention that I ovulated 24 days into my cycle.  According to my LMP, I should be a around 8wks, but the u/s yesterday showed 6wks 5days.  Any advice?