Maternal & Child Community
Low HCG a Cause for Concern?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low HCG a Cause for Concern?

My wife and I have been trying to conceive for several months (we already have 2 children, ages 5 and 3).  During this time, her periods have been irregular and often infrequent (up to 7 weeks).  She saw her OB/GYN a couple days ago, about 4 weeks after her last period and almost two weeks past intercourse and suspected ovulation, and he ordered lab work.  Thyroid was a little high, and HCG was 25.  She was instructed to come back for another HCG test in a week.  A home pregnancy test taken last night was negative.

Does this sound like a normal pregnancy, especially in light of the other information?  She won't be seeing her doctor for at least a week, so I guess we're a little anxious in the interim.
Hi there. It's very hard to say in a very early pregnancy. Everyone's levels are different in each pregnancy. They should however be going up and not down or staying level. Let us know how you guys make out. We are here if you have any other questions. There is a very wide range. If you do a search, type in beta blood level chart, you will see what I mean. Good luck.
I agree with capermom-but perhaps someone would know if your HCG levels spiked a bit during ovulation? Anybody? I thought I had heard that once...could be wrong...
Normally an hcg level over 5 is considered "pregnant" The only times hcg levels will rise above that level are when a pregnancy is present or if there is a pituitary gland problem. It is very possible that the home pregnancy test you purchased doesn't detect levels that low. Many tests detect at 50 or more, so that could be a reason for the negative.

How long ago was the blood work taken?

Andrea
Thanks for the comments, folks.  The blood work was done Wednesday afternoon, and the home test was performed Thursday night.  I guess that means by tonight the HCG should be above 50 and detectable by the home kit, right?  Assuming everything's all right ...
Chk for HPTs that detect real early (detect just the lowest HCG).  On the box somewhere it should say where it can begin to pick up the HCG....i.e. at 50, 100, 150.  And yes, she should have about 50+ if it was at 25 two days ago.

Good Luck! Hopes things turn out for the better!
Thanks.  She tested again this afternoon, and still negative.  The test is Safeway One-Step, and nothing in the packaging says what the HCG test threshold is, and I can't find anything on the Internet about the Safeway test, either.  I'm going to run out to the drug store and buy another one with a threshold of around 50 and we'll test again tonight ...

A blood test is waaaaaaaayyy more accurate for detecting hcg levels. So many things can affect the urine tests. If she urinates frequently (they recommend 4 hours of holding your urine before you test), or drink a lot of fluids this can affect the amount of HCG in the urine. I wouldn't rely on a HPT to decide if everything is O.K. I pray the baby will be safe and healthy. Take care!
Did the doc do a blood test to test for pregnancy? How did they find the HCG level of 25? (blood test, I assume).

And what did your doc say about the low HCG level and negative pregnancy results.

Well I'm sorry you all are having to go thru this, its got to be stressful wondering.  But stay positive and hope things turn out okay.

with all 4 of my kids, I tested positive in the morning and negative at night on the hpts.  Even if the package says you
can test any time of day, ignore it, use first morning urine
every time.
The doctor didn't give a pregnancy test because my wife didn't think she was pregnant.  She was wondering instead why she *wasn't* getting pregnant.  He ordered three blood tests -- one was normal (can't recall off-hand which one and now she's asleep), the thyroid was high, and the HCG was 25.  She hasn't talked to him since the test results came in -- she got them from a lab technician this morning.  The tech thought the HCG was low under the circumstances but that it wasn't impossible that she was having a normal early pregnancy.  She's supposed to see her doctor next week, after a second HCG test.

She will try another home test tomorrow morning.  She's aware of the problem of frequent urination, but she gets up at night a lot, too ...

Thanks for all your advice and encouragement --

Chris
Good luck and please let us know how everything turns out.  Tell your wife that this is a great forum for her to visit.  We're all very supportive of each other.  Some of us have been here for a year or more.  We've all been through alot, ie: miscarriages, multiple miscarriages, infertility, and finally successful pregnancies.  We'd love to have her here.
I am concerned about my hcg levels.
They are
3/30 562
4/1 755
4/5 1695
4/8 2650

My progesterone was also low but I am on supplements and now it is at 1570.

I had heavy bleeding 2 weeks ago and my doc told me I would miscarry, but my levels have continued to go up and the first US on 4/1 showed a sac.

I think I will be seven weeks since LMP on Monday, but my doctor says that is not possible by looking at my levels. I am going in for an US on Monday and she is expecting to see nothing more than a sac, but it seems that at this point we should at least see a fetal pole. I am worried that I may have a blighted ovum. If I am off on how far along I am, it can't be more than a week. I am very regular and knew when I ovulated (I was keeping close track since we were trying).

Anyone experiencing something similar? Any info would be great. Not knowing is absolutely driving me crazy...
THANKS!
Sorry you are going through this. Are you getting your levels checked again or an u/s? They are rising, not too badly I think but I'm not overly familiar with them. They are supposed to double every 36-48 hours but not everyone's do. They can differ widely. I just had mine done on Monday past, I am around 5-6 weeks and they were over 5000. There is a very wide range somewhere in a post below they were put there for me to compare so have a look. Are you bleeding now? Are you having cramping or back aches? I had an early m/c in Feb, about 5 weeks and I spotted for a couple of days first and then I passed a little sac. You will know when it happens.
I am going for an u/s on Monday and they will check my levels then again also.  

I bled fairly heavy 2 weeks ago and earlier this week the doc started me on progesterone and my bleeding has decreased tremendously.  I am still spotting but it is getting lighter every day.  I had some mild cramping, but I have been having slight cramping ever since I ovulated.  I had a few clots but nothing that seemed large enough to be anything and the u/s was done after that which showed the sac.  How confusing!!!  Since my levels have been going up and the u/s showed a sac last week, my doc and I do not think I have m/c at this point.  What we don't understand is if this pregnancy is not meant to continue developing, why didn't I miscarry during the heavy bleeding?  

It is just really heart wrenching not knowing what will come of this.  I am just ready for an answer one way or the other.  I pray that we will at least see a fetal pole this week.  What worries me is that the doc says there is no way I am as far along as I say I am, but I am fairly certain when I ovulated.  The u/s did not show where the bleeding was coming from.

Thanks for you comments and good luck with your pregnancy.  Do you have any children?  This is our first pregnancy.
Hi there, yes I have two boys, 10 nd 12. Thanks for the good luck. I know how heavy this stuff lays on your heart, it's one of the hardest things to deal with. It's easier when you know either way I think. I think I'm going to see my doctor next week and ask him to send me for an u/s, I just can't handle the stress any more. I don't think it's healthy either. I know I shouldn't worry so much. If I had all kinds of symptoms I would feel better but I just don't have them. I do have the odd pressure feeling above my pelvic bone, feels like a contraction but not painful. After I get my levels back on Monday and if they are good I will feel a bit better but not totally convinced that everything will be ok.

I wish you lots of luck. Keep me posted!
Happy Easter, folks.  My wife tested again with a Safeway kit this morning and this time it showed a faint positive.  So I think her HCG has gone up from 25 on Wednesday to a little over 100 this morning, which seems hopeful.  A great Easter present!  We should have more definitive word sometime this week when she goes in for another blood test.

Tramonte, prayers and best wishes for a happy outcome ...
Actually, her thyroid was tested last week (not sure why), and it was high.  Not sure the significance of that yet; I imagine the doctor will talk to her about it when she sees him again soon.
Your wife should get her thyroid tested. That can really play with any urine pregnancy test. I have never had a test come out positive unless it was blood, due to a hypo-thyroid disorder. Please have her do this, because it can cause problems if not treated.
We saw a heartbeat today!!!  My hcg levels went up from 2650 on Thursday to 4309 today (Monday).  They will repeat the u/s next week to make sure everything is ok.  Seems like things are looking good.  The heartbeat was 120 bpm which they said was normal.  Let me know how your u/s goes.  Hope all is well.