Maternal & Child Community
Low HCG levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low HCG levels

The 1st day of my last cycle was May 13th... I was using an ovulation kit for the month and it finally said yes on May 30th.  I missed my period on June 15th and had a positive pregnancy test Fathers day June 17th.  I had a miscarriage prior to this and Im pretty nervous.  I had a bit of bleeding the Tuesday following the positive preg. test so the Dr. ordered HCG testing.  First one was at 194, the second one two days later was only 216.  For five weeks, this is low AND it only went up 10% rather then a minimum of 50%..... Im curious if this has happend to anyone else and everything turned out ok.  My doctor says Im probably just not as far along as I think I am.. but I ovulated May 30th (give or take a day), so I have to be at a minimum of 5 weeks.
Can anyone give me encouraging words who had similar problems?
Hi!
During the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, the HCG numbers are not so important. After the numbers reach around 0-50mIU/mL, the urine pregnancy test becomes positive. Thereafter the numbers rise very fast. The actual numbers can show a wide variation amongst pregnant women in the first 12 weeks, but what remains constant is that the numbers keep doubling up. In most women the levels double up every 48 hours, but in some it may take about 3 and1/2 days. If this trend is seen chances of pregnancy carrying forward are high.
So, in your case, yes, it is a cause of concern. However, it’s too early in pregnancy to give a definitive answer. While you wait another week for a clearer picture consult your gynecologist to find why you had a miscarriage earlier. Generally first trimester abortions or abortions occurring in first three months are due to fetal abnormality, genetic causes, Rh blood group incompatibility and low progesterone hormone. Infection of the uterus, endometriosis, fibroids, etc  are some other causes for early abortion. Some of these causes are pregnancy specific and may not recur, while others can. You need to consult your gynecologist and run some tests to rule out these causes. Eliminating these causes will increase the chances of full term pregnancy.
Take care!
Thank for the response.  I had another HCG test four days after the last one (216), the numbers did go up, but only to 333.  I have an ultrasound on Thursday.  Im not optimistic.