Maternal & Child Community
Low Progesterone Levels/Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low Progesterone Levels/Pregnancy

I have two sons, one who is 11 and one who is 3.

My first son was perfectly healthy and then I lost 3 trying to have my second.  They diagnosed me with PCOS.  I have lost two since.  I lost the last one last month, my doctor put me on a new ovulation drug, metformin, and prenatal vitamins.  They checked me and said I had two eggs one was at 17 and one at 22.  They told me that I should be ovulating on the 28 -30.  They tested me on day 21 and said my levels were really low (3.9)  That technically I wasn't ovulatory but  not to loose hope that some women can conceive as low as 1.5.  I started taking 300mg of progesterone just in case I was pregnant.  I will find out probably next Friday.

What is your thoughts on this?
I don't understand why/when the doctors monitor pregesterone levels. I had my first ob appt. Monday (6wks preg) and asked the nurse if they were drawing prog. levels as part of the blood work. She said neither MD routinely does that. She couldn't tell me why,though. Do they fluctuate? what do their values' indicate? I already had the blood drawn so it's too late for this round of blood,but maybe next time I should insist? I have had a previous miscarriage.
I have just enough progesterone to get  pregnant, but not enough to stay pregnant.  Although sometimes I wonder if it's not something else also.  With 3 of the five miscarriages I only made it to 4 to 6 weeks.  With one I made it to 12 weeks and the one in December they found the heartbeat one week and  I lost it the next.  

I am really overweight and I wonder if that has something to do with it.

In order to sustain a pregnancy, the would like the progesterone level to be 10 or above.  The same goes for ovuation, 10 and above indicate ovulation.
I also have PCOS and I will find out Monday if I am pregnant.  I take metformin.  I had 4 miscarriages before I had my little boy 2 years ago.  I they found out what was wrong, and I took the metphormin, I got pregnant the first cycle and had no problems.  I also had to take progesterone suppositories.  I am takin them right now along with the metphormin and and heparin injections.  Are you taking taking any progesterone right now, because if it is that low, it looks like they would go ahead and start you on the suppositories even if you are not pregnant.  That's what I had to do last month.  I didn't conceive but I still took the progesterone before I knew.  Good luck!
I am taking Progesterone right now.  

I teach special education at the high school level and I see so many people who have children who really do not want them.  And then there is me.  All I want is a healthy baby.  Of course I would love to have a girl to go along with my boys, but a healthy baby is first on my list.

I had to take medication to carry my last son and then he was born with a cleft lip and palate.  He has had three surgeries and will have to have at least two more.

I guess I am hoping that the eggs did come out since they were there and the progesterone supplement will help me stay pregnant, but I will not know until the 11th.
Being overweight can contribute to hormonal imbalances. If you don't mind me asking what is your weight? Losing just 10% of your weight can greatly improve fertility. Don't get me wrong skinny girls have trouble to:) I think they would have checked your glucose levels and prolactin levels with multiple m/c but losing just a few lbs can sometimes help as well as trying to limit refinded sugars and carbs. I am not suggesting Atkins, but a modified version or South Beach Diet has proven to help some people.

Good luck
I weigh 250.  I have been overweight since the birth of my first son.  

When my husband and I got married I weighed 125.  I conceived on our 1 year anniversary.  I took toxima with Austin and gained over a hundred pounds I have been overweight ever since, with the exception of one time.  I went on a low fat diet and lost close to 75 pds, but as quick as I went off of the diet I gained it all back.  When I was pregnant with Logan (my last child)  I actually came out of pregnancy weighing less than I went into it.  He took from what I already had.

I am 31 and would love to be able to actually loose.  I actually told my physcian that after I have the baby (if I am pregnant) that I want to loose atleast 100 pds.

I will find out Monday if I am pregnant if I can wait that long to take a test.
I am pregnant!!!

Pray very hard for this baby.  I know God can do all things.
I got my prog. levels back at 3 dpo or CD 16, the levels were very low 3.2/ The dx put me on prometrium suppositories. He saw a follicle during the ultrasound and I was given ovidrel. I had 2 IUI's Mon. and Tues. Does that mean that I am not pregnant? Can people actually have ovulated with such low levels so early , much less be prego?