Maternal & Child Community
Low White Blood Cell Count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low White Blood Cell Count

We took my five year old son to the hospital because he had been running a temp. of about 104 for three days off and on. They didn't know what was wrong because all he had was a fever. They took blood and found out his white blood cell count was really low. We go back to the doctor tomorrow, but I want to be prepaired. What could he have? someone told me it might be lucimea. Sorry I dont know how to spell that. Please tell me all the posible outcomes.
Don't panic yet, if he was that sick they wouldn't have let him go. What did your doctor tell you it could be? I would go see him if you don't have any answers.
infection causes white blood cell count to be low.  infection also causes fever.  wait until tomorrow to worry.
Have you noticed that your son has been bruising easily?  The only reason why I ask is because this happened to my best friend's son.  She noticed that he had many bruises all over his body and she found him weaker than usual as the days went by.

Norma
In a situation as potentially serious as this, our opinions are better left unsaid. We can be here to offer support in many other ways, rather than "preparing" her with other people's frightening experiences.

This is far different than slow rising hcg numbers or a baby with reflux. These are all experiences many of us have had and we can offer some advice. But to point out that her child may have ONE similar symptom as someone with leukemia is awful to do to someone. In my experience, people will post asking a question, claiming to want brutal honesty, only to regret being told the actual possibilities. This is not a time to share a scary story, but instead to offer support.

Andrea
This is definitely something that should be discussed with your son's doctor. I fear people's speculation on this topic is better left unsaid. How is a person not going to be frightened when you have people comparing her 5 year old's symptoms to someone who was dx with leukemia?

I realize you may want possible answers, but NO ONE here is qualified to give you a definitive answer. Only your pediatrician will be able to do that and will be able to that in a controlled environment, face to face with you.

Andrea
I agree NO ONE here are doctors and no one can tell you what your son may or may not have, only a doctor, but I am assumning that Lil Heather asked the question so that whoever had input or could relate that they would give her an honest answer.  I was not trying to scare anyone with my comment but I was only giving you a example that I am aware of.  
Lil Heather did state when she posted that she wanted to be prepared and she wanted to know all possible outcomes and I am sure that she knows that we are just giving her an opinion and offering support.
Also, I never stated that my friend's son had lukemia.  The doctors thought that his symptoms were similar to that of lukemia symptoms but the high fevers and the bruising was something totally different.

Lil Heather-I will have you and your family in my prayers.  Keep us posted and God Bless!

Norma
I dont want to scare you, but that is how my uncle (at 8 years old) found out he had leukemia....low wbc count and bruises. i will be praying for you and good luck!!!
Hey I have a three year old little boy and he was running fever too also with a viral infection and his blood count was also very low so i hope and pray for pur children and hopefully everything will be alright with the both of them

Natasha