Maternal & Child Community
Low fetal heart beat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low fetal heart beat

Due to recent bleeding, I was seen immediately by my doctor and given a vaginal ultrasound.  My doctor was concerned about a couple of things.  One the heart rate had dropped from 109 (at 5 1/2 weeks) to 78 bpm (only 5 days later).  Also, the shape of the gestational sac had changed from round to a banana shape.  The only positive thing my doc had to say was that my cervix was still closed.  While he said he certainly couldn't predict what would happen, he said it looked like a miscarriage was taking place.  Since then I have been put on bed rest; all bleeding has stopped and I still have my pregnancy symptoms.  As a matter of fact, I have never been as nauseous.  Also, prior to the bleeding my husband and I had sex about 36 hours before.  When telling my dr this, he said that didn't have anything to do with what was happening. Is that true?  This is my second pregnancy, my first one ending at 11 weeks, so I think I'm a little more paranoid than usual.  Has anyone heard of anyone with symptoms like mine and still kept the pregnancy?
It has happened to me twice. The first time the heart rate was 77bpm and the second 76bpm. I miscarried both times, they say if it's under 100 it does not look good at all.
I don't want to discourage you but I think it's easier when you know what to expect.
I am sorry you are going through this. I don't know much about all this but I did have a miscarriage in October and the sac had gone to nice and round to oval.  Has he done any HCG levels?  Mine dropped significanly which confirmed I was miscarrying.  

Hugs~
I wish you the best of luck.  Hope everything works out for the best.  Let us know how things turn out.
That's what's puzzling, according to all my levels, everything keeps going up.  I've had 3 sets of blood tests, all normal.  This is my second pregnancy.  The first ended in miscarraiage at 11 weeks (however I was told the fetus wasn't any older than 7 or 8 weeks). I have an another ultrasound  scheduled for Monday, so I guess I find out at that time.
Great news! Heartbeat is 165 and going strong.  Shape of sack looks better, too!
I am going through the same thing you did, low heartrate of 88 and spotting at 6 weeks and baby is smaller than it should be. I'm on bed rest until Monday. What was your outcome, did you carry full term? 8/21/07
i haven't seen her here at all in 2007
I figured she hasn't been on since it was 2004 when she wrote that.  Well its worth a shot maybe someone else has a similar story
Hi, my name is Richard and me and my wife just got her vaginal ultra sound done last wensday. It was not good. She is only 10 weeks, and the doctor told us heart beat is to low,(70 BPM) and the heart beat was irregular. This is our first baby and this news really devestated me, I was so happy when we got there and left very sad. I really don't know what to think. We have to go back next week to see if the baby still has a heart beat. Has anyone ever experienced this, and did baby develop healthy. Doctor also said baby wasn't developed as much as it should look for 10 weeks. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Please give us some info.
Richard
I am waiting for monday to come, so I can find out if my baby still has a heartbeat. This is also mine and my fiance first baby, so I know how excitment quickly can turn to worry. The same thing happened to us last monday heart rate was only 88BPM and I was 6 weeks 3 days pregnant the baby was only 5.  From what I have been reading online, miracles do happen.  The Dr. told us it could go either way, he has seen babies catch up the next week and have a strong heartbeat.  Like he told us, it's in God's hands.  This I am finding is also very common, I never really heard of it until it happened to us.    I will keep you in my prayers, and believe me i've been praying a lot lately.  I'll also let you know what happens on Monday when we go for ultrasound.  We are also hoping for best and prepared for worst.

Katie
I had an ultrasound done this past weekend due to cramping a lot of bleeding, the heart rate was at 90 bpm, and the ER doctor said that was low but all of the HCG tests that they run show that it keeps rising...I go see my regular doctor on Monday to see how things are going.  I've been reading a lot and there are people who say that the heart rate was low and within a week it went up to 120 or so...so hopefully all of us will get that outcome!  I will be praying for you guys...
I am writing to let you all know that when we went back to the DR. we had lost the baby. I had a DnC on 8-31.  I can't even explain how dissapointed I was and am.  We are moving on now, and planning our wedding for September 6, 2008.  Hopefully it will come fast and then we r going to ttc right after.  I know that I did everything I could to save the baby but something just didn't go right.  My HCG levels I found out were not very high, and it just wasn't meant to be.  I thought that I was lucky that I wasn't having any sickness, next time I conceive I HOPE  I'm so sick I can't get out of bed! well god bless you all and i'll still be popping in here to give advice and pray for all of you.

Why is it that people like me who quit smoking and drinking during pregnancy lose their babies, yet the idiots's who keep drinking and smoking have perfect babies? I just don't get it? I lose my baby then some idiot at my work gets prego and runs outside every chance she gets to smoke.  I told her to quit she thinks that smoking is okay as long as she quits drinking.  Unreal i just don't get it.  
Hi, I have been very worried lately because  the baby's HR has been under 120 for periods of time, expecially at night.  I rented a home doppler monitor months ago and use occasionally.  Yesterday I checked myself into L&D and the HR showed 100-118 for about 20 minutes.  At times the HR rose to  170's and  dropped down to the low 110's in seconds. I am so worried.  The nurse thought I was nuts to come in.  I am SO worried.

I am 35 weeks pregnant
Hi everyone,

I was feeling so alone with what I have been going through.  It is nice to hear some other voices out there with similar stories to mine.  Two weeks ago, I went into emergency for heavy bleeding and cramping.  I feared that I was losing my baby.  (I am just a few weeks pregnant).  My HCG levels were good.  The ultrasound revealed an elongated gestational sac and no fetal hearbeat could be detected.  My doctor recommended another ultrasound in 1 week.  I went in for that ultrasound last week and there was now a fetal hearbeat and the gestational sac was more round but still somewhat structurally abnormal looking, I guess.  The doctor did not sound very optimistic as he said the hearbeat was low.  I am now waiting for a third ultrasound next week to see what is going on.  The hardest part for me is wondering each day whether the baby is alive or not.  What an emotional rollercoaster.  Anyone having similar situation?
Was wondering if you had gone for your u/s yet?

I am going through the same thing. I went in on Tuesday for a follow-up to some bleeding/spotting. I have been diagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrage (sp?). However the doctor was more concerned because I was 7 weeks and the baby's h/b was only 64 bpm. The baby is measuring right on target just has a really low h/b. He gave me a 50/50 chance. I go back on Monday.

Looking for any other encouraging stories that might be out there.
I too have a pregnancy with a low and sparatic hb. My boyfriend and I have been playing the horrible waiting game for 3 weeks now. My baby is 6 weeks and I have had 2 u/s so far. The first was VERY discouraging and I was given little hope. The second showed the fetus devoloping, but the h/b is very worrisome. I have to go back on Dec 6th for yet another u/s and the doc says that we will have a definitive answer then. If it is beating strong we are in good shape (chances for a m/c are only 5%), if not, I have a really hard choice to make. My thoughts and prayers are with you all! We are not alone, and that helps me! :)
How did things work out for you?
I am 35YO and pregnant we thought we were about 8 or 9 wks along my LMP was Oct 30.  We went in for first sonogram yesterday and we were told 5wks 6days.  My husband and I were shocked. I know this isnt an exact science but to be that far off is wild.  We have had a miscarriage before at 7 weeks so we are highly emotional about this pregnancy.  Our fetal heartbeat came in at 98 so we are to go back next week for another sonogram. Our attitude is if we lose this baby at least we know for sure we can get pregnant and its a start.  Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.  
hi,

i visited the doctor today and made an ultrasound.  According to the u/s, I am 6wks 4days pregnant which is accurate.  The heart is ok but the doctor said that I have an elongated gestational sac.  What does this mean? Am I going to miscarry?
Just saw this thread...can't tell how much pain i m in right now. doctor said elongated sac and wait for 2 weeks for next ultrasound..that is killing me at every second. no heart beat detected..according to her its about 7 plus week. That's my first pregnancy..no spotting.. hate that situation.. May God help me in going through all this situation. Please pray.
I am pregnant 6 wks 3 days now, and have had a lot of drama already in this pregnancy!  I was told to go in for an ultrasound after I found out I was pregnant because I had a lot of cramping and they thought I might be having a tubal pregnancy.  I found out that I wasn't but now, the docs have said that the babies heartbeat is 87 BPM and the gestational sac is abnormally shaped (looks like a jelly bean).  I am scheduled to go back in next week for another ultrasound, but I am worried.  Does this mean I'm going to have a miscarriage?  I have read that some baby's heartbeats have sped up from this point but I don't know what to think?  How did things turn out for you?
Hi! I am 7 weeks now, three days ago I was bleeding, so I went to the hospital and Doctor said that baby heart beat was slow, that I shouldn´t have a lot of hope for this pregnancy. A day later I went to see my doctor and she said the situation was still the same, low heart beat, but the baby was still there.
When I foundl out I was pregnant, doc ask me for a HCG test, and said it was low 337, 48 hours later I took another one, went to 469, got up, but didn´t double. So I checked on internet and found out sometimes its ok to 60% up and not double.
from this day on, baby developed quite well, triple sized in a week, until the bleeding...Now I have to wait for my next u/s, and the terrible thing about it is that Idon´t know if the baby is alive or dead inside of me, so I can´t feel the pain of loosing it, or the hope of having it. It is like baby is in Comma...
i took over a year to get pregnant and it was very stressful for me...
lschpr
i am also going through the same thing and dont know what to do i went to the hospital last night cuz i was be bleeding the babys heart rate was at 70 i stopped bleeding but i dont know what to do the babys heart beat dropped in 3 days!!
i went on monday june 11th for my sono and i should be 7 weeks by the last day of my menstrual cycle the baby was measuring 5 weeks and 5 days i have to go in on monday for another one.i have lost a baby  it stoped growning at 8 weeks but i carried for 5 months.thats when i had the first sono,i am scared for the baby because the heat rate was onlt 92 on the 11th!
i am 2months,preagnet and went for my first.ultrasound and the,lady found that the baby had a lowheart eat anyone could tell me if its ok
i have also been diagnosed with a low heart beat I am supposed to be 7 weeks along but am currently only measuring at 6 weeks 1 day. I started spotting a week ago & in the US they said they yhere is a mass of blood next to the sac. I am not having pain only very mild cramping. I am 44 trying to have one more child am told my eggs are most likely the cause. I am very sad because the baby is alive but struggling to survive. I am scheduled for another US next week. Its crazy I am concerned that they will want to perform a d & c cuz they say it looks like an abnormal pregancy. The heart is beating im worried.