MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
Low fetal heart beat
by daisyhead, Mar 12, 2004
Due to recent bleeding, I was seen immediately by my doctor and given a vaginal ultrasound.  My doctor was concerned about a couple of things.  One the heart rate had dropped from 109 (at 5 1/2 weeks) to 78 bpm (only 5 days later).  Also, the shape of the gestational sac had changed from round to a banana shape.  The only positive thing my doc had to say was that my cervix was still closed.  While he said he certainly couldn't predict what would happen, he said it looked like a miscarriage was taking place.  Since then I have been put on bed rest; all bleeding has stopped and I still have my pregnancy symptoms.  As a matter of fact, I have never been as nauseous.  Also, prior to the bleeding my husband and I had sex about 36 hours before.  When telling my dr this, he said that didn't have anything to do with what was happening. Is that true?  This is my second pregnancy, my first one ending at 11 weeks, so I think I'm a little more paranoid than usual.  Has anyone heard of anyone with symptoms like mine and still kept the pregnancy?
Member Comments (27)
by opto, Mar 12, 2004
It has happened to me twice. The first time the heart rate was 77bpm and the second 76bpm. I miscarried both times, they say if it's under 100 it does not look good at all.
I don't want to discourage you but I think it's easier when you know what to expect.
by stillhopeful, Mar 12, 2004
I am sorry you are going through this. I don't know much about all this but I did have a miscarriage in October and the sac had gone to nice and round to oval.  Has he done any HCG levels?  Mine dropped significanly which confirmed I was miscarrying.  

Hugs~
by daisyhead, Mar 12, 2004
That's what's puzzling, according to all my levels, everything keeps going up.  I've had 3 sets of blood tests, all normal.  This is my second pregnancy.  The first ended in miscarraiage at 11 weeks (however I was told the fetus wasn't any older than 7 or 8 weeks). I have an another ultrasound  scheduled for Monday, so I guess I find out at that time.
by Gretajack, Mar 12, 2004
I wish you the best of luck.  Hope everything works out for the best.  Let us know how things turn out.
by daisyhead, Mar 15, 2004
Great news! Heartbeat is 165 and going strong.  Shape of sack looks better, too!
by addy4395, Aug 21, 2007
I am going through the same thing you did, low heartrate of 88 and spotting at 6 weeks and baby is smaller than it should be. I'm on bed rest until Monday. What was your outcome, did you carry full term? 8/21/07
by chellybeans, Aug 21, 2007
i haven't seen her here at all in 2007
by addy4395, Aug 21, 2007
I figured she hasn't been on since it was 2004 when she wrote that.  Well its worth a shot maybe someone else has a similar story
by rick23, Aug 25, 2007
Hi, my name is Richard and me and my wife just got her vaginal ultra sound done last wensday. It was not good. She is only 10 weeks, and the doctor told us heart beat is to low,(70 BPM) and the heart beat was irregular. This is our first baby and this news really devestated me, I was so happy when we got there and left very sad. I really don't know what to think. We have to go back next week to see if the baby still has a heart beat. Has anyone ever experienced this, and did baby develop healthy. Doctor also said baby wasn't developed as much as it should look for 10 weeks. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Please give us some info.
Richard