Maternal & Child Community
Low lying placenta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low lying placenta

Hello everyone.  I recently had to go to the hospital for servere bleeding after intercourse with my husband.  The doctor told me that I have complete placenta previa.  He said that is where the placenta is laying very low and completed covering the opening of the cervix.  I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.  I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant.  Baby is doing fine, doctor did another sonogram and we saw the baby's heart beat.  He said that this will usually correct itself and move away from the cervix 95% of the time.  Until then, he put me on pelvic rest - no intercourse, exercise or lifting of anything heavy.  

Just wanted to know if anyone had an experience like this and continued with a normal pregnancy and delivery.  This is my first pregnancy so I don't know how common this type of thing is.  I just don't want anything to happen to our baby.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments.
I personally haven't, but I actually had 2 friends pregnant at the same time who did. Both had complete placenta previa and by the time they were in their last trimester the placenta had moved and they were fine.

Both of my friends were on the same restrictions until the placenta moved. Definitely pay attention to what your doctor says, and no sex also means no orgasm (causes the uterus to contract) It normally owuldn't be an issue, but because the placenta is low, it can cause bleeding.

Not to scare you or anything, but if the placenta doesn't move as the pregnancy progresses you will need to prepare yourself for a c-section. You cannot have a vaginal delivery with the placenta that low for obvious reasons. But like your doctor stated, the chances are good that the placenta will move and you won't have to worry about all that!

Keep us posted!

Andrea
i had bleeding around 12 to 13 weeks preg. and turned out to be a partial placenta previa, dr. put me on pelvic rest, no intercourse or even orgasms. within 2 weeks i had stopped bleeding and after another 2 weeks dr. said i could start back with normal sexual activity as long as there was no spotting. sorry your having to go through that, i remember how scary it was for me. just take it easy, and you should be just fine. i am now at 23 weeks according to the dr. but according to what i think i am like 24 weeks (who knows, baby will come when she wants to!LOL) hope i've been of help.
take care,
melonie
Thanks everyone for your comments.  They really did make me feel better.  I've talked to a couple women at work who went through this but didn't have the bleeding and delivered healthy babies.  I think the chances are very good that it will correct itself.  Thanks again for all your help.
I am 13 weeks pregnant and started experiencing bleeding after lying down for prolonged periods.  I called my Dr. and he said my cervix may be irritated and since I heard the heartbeat on our doppler everything should be fine.  The bleeding continued and I insisted on an ultrasound.  We found that my placenta is low lying.  The baby is fine.  He told me as my pregnancy progressed it should move up.  It is scary, I know.  This is my first time to carry a pregnancy this far.  Having a doppler really helps ease my mind-you can rent them on line.
I am currently twenty-five weeks and was diagnosed with a low-lying placenta when I was twenty-one weeks.  I have not had any bleeding at all, but was instructed not to have intercourse.  Today at my appointment my doctor told me that we would not do another sonogram until my visit in December, which means no intercourse til then and maybe not even after then.  How do you deal with something like this?  I've read how being pregnant can make you want to have sex more, but it's bad when you have the low lying placenta and can't do anything.
I am 34 weeks and the doctor told me That if my Placenta dose not move by my next outra sound that we are going to have to do a c-sechion on you I am due October 18, 2007 I am scared I do not like being cut open at all. and  I just went to the hospital last sunday because I was bleedinfg without sex and they said I did too much house work that buged my Placenta and they said if I start bleeding agean they will put me on bed rest untill the baby is born.
i've had total placena previa since i was 6 weeks i am now 17 weeks, i've had servere bleeding twice & ended up in the hospital both times. this is my 4th pregnancy & i've never had problems before. i'm very scared. my hospital is over an hour away. i'll get another ultrasound in 2 weeks hopefully everything will be okay. good luck to all mothers & mothers to be.
i am currently 22 wks pregnant and recently been told i have a low lying placenta. i was also told not to have intercourse until my next scan at 28 wks. i have had intercourse a few times and had the most terrific pains so we decided to listen to the doctors. this is my 5th baby and really dont want to be cut open hopefully things will progress as they should so i can have a normal delivery. good luck to everyone who has this condition it is scarry
I am 16 weeks and this is our third baby.  A big surprise because my second child just turned 7.  I just went into the hospital for bleeding to find out i have a low lying placenta.  I did not have this problem with the other two.  I was told no intercourse(penitration) for 4 weeks.  I am still bleeding a little.  It is scary but i am taking it easy.  My husband is picking up the slack.  The doctor said that at 20 weeks it should move to its normal spot as the baby and placenta grows.  My best advise is to relax because stress does nothing well for the baby.  I am scared but i know the baby is fine.  I have started to feel mine move.  If you have not you will soon.  I didn't feel my first move until after 20 weeks.Believe me i thought this would be a walk in the park since it was number 3 but what they say is true.  Every pregancy is different.  In the end if we need C-sections look at the positive.  How many parents know their babies birthday before it is born and if this is what we need to do as a mother to make sure our new little miracle is safe then so be it.
Best wishes and good luck
Dawn
hai..I am in my 17th Week when doctor told me that my placenta is low .. but doc has not advice me to stop making love but since it is my 1st kid and i have pain at times at my lover stomach i am scared... Just wondering will it be safe to have sex...because doc said in the 21 week on  my next scan i will be able to know the changes if there is...

anyone could advice me on this.
O God I pray everything goes well with you, i've had 6 children and never experienced that, although im now experiencing the scare since now my daughter is pregnant..she was told she had a low line placenta at 25wks,she wasnt put on pelvic rest but to me anything other than a normal pregnancy scares me,not to say that thats not normal but anything that wont have you worried is considered normal to me, im scared for her, but as im writing this message she's having her second sonogram to see if the placenta has moved,im hoping everything goes well because i would hate for her to have a c-section,im sorry if my story scary but im scared im on here hoping to get some sort of comfort from ppl with the same similiarity,she's now 30wks, im sorry i couldnt of been any help but i was looking for some help myself...i hope all goes well with all you guyz pregnancy as well as my daughter, thanks for reading my story.
i have been told i have a low lying placenta but told nothing else i have read a few things but all seem to contradict themselves im worried that i have a low lyin placenta and find myself doing things that normally i wouldnt like hoover etc what can and cant i do coz i really want everyhtin to go normally my partner has had 3 kids wit c section n i really wnt a natural birth 4 him plus id rather do natural as i hate hospitals in and out is wat i want
hi  am 13 weeks preganacy (pregnancy) and my plancenta posterior is slighty low lying is intercourse is safe during dis condition?
hi I am 5 weeks and 5 days and I have been diagnosed with placenta previa and I am terrified about the whole thing I just want to make it thru ok.  how long do or should I wait to have sex?
I'm 15 weeks (tomorrow) pregnant...I had spotting quite a bit up till about 11 weeks...have had 4 sono's...baby is ok...had a hemorrhage, they said, they put me on Vaginal rest , but when spotting had stopped they said I could be off vag rest...had sex and spotted again, last week.....then had sono a few days ago..they said the hemorrhage is gone..thank goodness...but I have a very low placenta...now I'm on vaginal rest till my next sono in 5 weeks...so I say to those who they tell you have a low placenta, no sex...but the dr did say that it should correct it self (as the others on here have said)...thank goodness...hope mine does...good luck all!
I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and I was told I had a low lying placenta at 21 weeks. I went in for spotting and at that visit was told no sex. I went Monday and had another sonogram and found that it has not moved up but I have had no more bleeding and the Dr. did not say no sex. Does this mean its ok for me to have sex now?
Hello everyone

I had severe, bright red bleeding two days ago at 13 weeks pregnant.  Hospital confirmed it was fresh blood, but cervix was fully closed so shouldn't be a miscarriage.  It had all tailed off after a few hours, so was told to book ultrasound for next day.  Scan showed baby is perfectly fine, but I have low lying placenta which caused the bleed.  Put on pelvic rest until my 20 week scan - gonna be a long 7 weeks :-)  But I reckon it's worth it to keep me and the baby safe as possible.  So if anyone else has this, but isn't sure what to do, I'd honestly advise to err on side of caution and have complete pelvic rest until your next scan.

Now just got to hope placenta moves up by 20 weeks!  If I have any more bleeding, I've to let hospital know and they'll take me in. So I'm praying for no more serious bleeds! (carrying my notes, a sanitary towel, and a pair of knickers everywhere I go now!)

Very best of luck to everyone going through this.
i am 13 weeks pregnant and having low placenta. i have no bleed nothing but my doctor suggest me to take precautions to aviod complications.Can anyone suggest me that how much chance is there to improve the situation
I have a low-lying placenta and am really scared about what the complications are after visiting the midwife and having the willies put up me!
I have a partner who refuses to help me out, he gets home from work and if he can't sit down straight away he starts causing arguments. He doesnt help me with bathing my 1 year old or generally looking after him if I need help. He tells me I'm lazy and I do all of the housework which generally means clearing up after him as he is extremely messy and I'm the opposite. I'm worried as I have nobody to help me that I'll end up exhausted and causing myself problems. What can I do? My midwife says rest but it's impossible! Am I going to cause myself to bleed by getting so stressed out? I can't seem to relax.
I have a low lying placenta and doc advise me for complete rest, no walking and work...due to which my bump become heavier day by day...can anyone suggest me how to control my weight...