Low progesterone at 8 weeks
I'm 8 weeks pregnant now with my first pregnancy and had an appointment with my doctor Wednesday. She did an ultrasound and the baby is the right size and has a strong heartbeat. This was great news and very reassuring. She also did some blood tests, and yesterday the nurse called to to tell me that my progesterone level is 10.1 when they'd rather have it around 20. She prescribed progesterone gel to use until week 12. However, I noticed on the side of the progesterone that abdominal wall defects and cleft palates have been born to mothers using the progesterone. I'm still going to use the progesterone, but now I have several questions the nurse was not able to answer. I had heard that with a good ultrasound our chances of miscarriage went down to 5%, does anyone know how the low progesterone level affects this? Has anyone else gone through this? Searching on the internet I haven't really been able to find out how serious this might be.

I'd love to hear from anyone who might know more about this.

Thanks,

-Candace
I spent my first 12 weeks of pregnancy on progestrone suppositories.  i'm now 15 weeks and all is well.  I haven't heard of any problems with this.  the heart rate is normal for me, and so is everything else.
Good luck keep us posted
Your doctor should have brought you in and explained this. Gees I hate when they say just take this. I always need to know why and how it will affect you. I wouldn't worry too much though, I'm sure the risk isn't high or he wouldn't recommend it. Keep us posted and good luck.
My progesterone at 5 wks was 9.5, they started me on shots and it went down to 7.2 and eventually back up to 8.5. I am now 19 wks preg and had an ultrasound last week and he is perfectly healthy and snug as a bug in a rug. My understanding of the progesterone is it has to do with how thick the lining of the uterus is and if it isn't high enough your body will kinda "kick" the baby out. I have had a previous miscarriage and didn't want to take that chance. Good Luck!!
Thanks everyone for all your comments.  I was able to get in touch with my doctor and am reassured that the chance of birth defects with the progesterone is the same as without it.  I'll still feel a lot better once we pass the 12 week mark and the baby is doing ok, but it's nice to know other people have been in the same situation and it turned out fine.

-Candace
There is nothing to worry about with Natural progesterone...no side effects whatsoever.  However, you should ask about using suppositories as they are much more effective.