Maternal & Child Community
Low rising beta hcg level - am I pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

We have been ttc for almost 3 years now. I have also been diagnosed with PCOs. I recently went through my 1st IVF. The transfer(5 day) was done on 04/10 and I was asked to come back on 04/20 for a pregnancy test. However, as I had some symptoms like cramping,shortness of breath I was worried about them being OHSS symptoms and therefore called my RE's office on 04/16. They called me in did a, u/s and a blood test.They called me back saying that they did a pregnancy test and my hcg level was at 19. However, on 14dpo which was on 04/20,the hcg level did not change.so I was asked to come back on 04/23 and my level was at 21. They have now asked me to come back for yet another blood test on 04/25. The nurse seems to think that it is a bad pregnancy but haven't heard back from my RE yet. Has anybody been in a similar situation as me? Is this a sign of an ectopic pregnancy? I'm really worried.
I had what was called a blighted ovum in Sept.  The sac formed but the baby did not.  I believe hcg rises but rises slowly with a blighted ovum.  I think the levels are higher in an ectopic pregnancy, but it implants in the wrong place.  I hope everything turns out okay for you.
i had an eptopic and a chemical preg and with the eptopic my levels were 492 and did not double and with the chemical preg  my levels never went higher then 29 but then they started to go down. so i doubt that you have an eptopic and if you do it is way to small to do any damage and they will just give you a shot so that your bady will re absorb it good luck.
Sounds like I have all the symptoms for a blighted ovum chemical pregnancy. I had 2 embryos transferred . I have been reading that sometimes in a twin pregnancy its possible that one is a blighted ovum and the other is a normal one. In that case, are the hcg levels still expected to rise slowly and not double for a while. As you can see,  I'm just desperately trying to find some hope for a viable pregnancy (although subconsciously I feel that the chances are bleak). Thanks to all of you that responded to my posts.
I had a blighted ovum as well...and my levels were rising, but very slowly.  They never doubled and then that's when I found out it was a blighted ovum and not a viable pregnancy.
Thanks for your replies specialteacher and mommyluv02. If this is indeed a chemical pregnancy I really hope that the hcg levels go down soon so that I can get a period and start to plan my FET process.
My HCG level was 21 again. No change from last time. My RE has asked me to stop my medication(progeterone and estrogen patches)and wait for my period. Does anybody have an idea of approximately how long it might take for the period to start?