Maternal & Child Community
Lower back pain never go away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Lower back pain never go away

I delivered a baby boy two years ago and I suffer lower back pain since then.I am having a lot of trouble with my lower back pain. I am unable lift anything over 5 pounds.  When I sit or standing over 30 minutes long I feel the sharp pain dowm my lower back.I strongly believe this is caused by epideral injections (9 injections) when I was in labor? I have been to see 3 chiropractors - they say that I pulled the muscle due to bad mechanical movement or my spinal lumbar is out of line. They adjusted me several times and the pain never decrease. I had physical therapy for over a year and nothing improve then the doctor sent me for MRI, I was diagnosed with herniated disc. I am 33 years old, I always exercise and eat healthy until I experience this pain. The pain is around the area where I had epideral inje. My back pain on the right side hurts constanctly and sometimes it excluciate dowm the side of my foreleg, I can't bend forward nor backward.  Certain positions make the pain worse like a sharp pain/stabing.  I feel that the nerve around my spine is pinching or twisting. I am now seeing a neurologist and just had another MRI - doc told me I have degenerative disc disease.  I am getting the treatment, VAX-D(spinal decompressor)since July and the pain does not decrease.  I will do anything to atleast eliminate the pain not totally, it could be partially, but I feel like no can help.  I missed out a lot with my 2 year-old son, not be able to pick him up or run around with him or even live w/o pain.  I feel very misserable I cry every night and still looking for medical help.
OUCH!You poor thing!! Okay I'm not into hokey-gimmickie stuff but maybe acupuncture can help seems like you went down all logical testings try something different-what do you have to lose?
I've had lower back and shoulder pain for 6 years.  What's helped me is a good plan for back strengthening and conditioning exercises.  Strengthening your abs will help with your lower back as well, use the stability ball to avoid more injury.  Also this can be pricey, but going to a good massage therapist at list once a week will help!  Look into your inscurance, they might cover that as part of physical therapy.
You don't need to go the gym for the exercises, all you need is some weights, a stability ball and a plan.  Oh stretching and yoga is good too.
Nothing new here, just be consistant and you'll feel better in time :)
Also did your chiro take X-Rays before the treatment?  That would help find out if your problem is in your muscle tissue or skeletal.
I know about a lady who had recurring back ache for years, and was treated without success(like 20 yrs she had this). At last one doc was able to identify the reason for the pain. The Epidural needle had touched a nerve in her spine during the procedure, she is with her waist support belt now.
Her doc says she will be fine after a while, she is on traction and physiotherapy too.
Might be U cpould check with a physiotherapist too.
A chiropractor can't fix things in a few visits. If it is spinal you have to go for a long time. My friend was on disability for several months with almost daily chiro until it got better. Now she is fine but has to work out at gym to keep up muscles that support her back.

If however it is a ruptured disc you are in a worse position. This means the fluid is leaked out or leaking out and your nerves can indeed get pinched. I honestly don't know how they fix that situation but I do know they advocate surgery probably more than is needed. I am sorry you haven't found a good doctor anywhere. Are you on pain meds?

i so feel for you. pain isnt something we can endure well when chasing that little one around. i agree with trying a massage therapist. find one that does myofacial release, deep tissue therapy and is experienced! i am a m.t. and i have had some clients that didnt get relief from their p.t. and dr's till they had the addition of massage. im not saying we are magic, but there is something to be said for massage, i too have had massage to relieve problems. it may or may not work but at this point its worth a try! i know a few around california, do you live here? dont give up-you just have to find the right treatment.
Hi everyone,
Thank you very much for your advise and support for my back pain problem.  I will not give up, as long as I live I will not stop seeking help (treatment).  I go to massage therapist often in the past and also I will be seeing physical therapist soon (use McKenzie method).  I was told by few friends and co-workers who were diagnose with the same condition as I am and medical specialist that the last person to see is the neuro surgeon, but I don't have much confidence because I'm afraid that the recommendation is surgery. My husband's boss had back surgery a few years ago,every now and then she still have some pain radiates through her back, she regrets the surgery therefore I'm afraid to make that decision.  Thanks again....
Hi Linnoy,

As a back problem sufferer for 8 yrs, I totally understand what you are going through. The reason why I posted is to let you know that your condition can be cured without surgery. So don't do surgery yet. Explore other alternatives first. To me, surgery should be the last option.

To keep my story short, I had 6 herniated discs due to a freeway car accident and later an injury on the DRX traction table. These 6 herniated discs brought constant numbness in both of my legs for 8 yrs before I found a better way to cure them. I tried VAX-D twice. It did not help, as I am a petite woman, the machine is not designed for my figure. I practiced yoga for 4 yrs. It helped me a lot to minimize the numbness. But the benefit did not last, as I can not totally avoid sitting. I had 5 m/c before I moved on to IVF in order to carry a normal pregnancy. My Dr think it was due to my age, but personally I think it could be due to chronic compression of the nerve roots going to my ovaries and uterus as well. After I failed my 1st IVF, I started to practice Qi Gong. Qi Gong is an ancient Chinese exercise using your internal Qi to cure yourself. I've been practicing it for almost a year now, 5 of my 6 discs went back. My numbness got much better controlled. Currrently, my S1/S2 is still herniated, which contributes to the numbness in my legs at a small lower back areas. So I am continuing my practice of Qi Gong hoping to have that disc back into where it should belong to. Then I will be totally numbness free, 1st time after 8 yrs of suffering from it! When that happens, I will grant myself a nobel laurette of medicine for the year. I will consider that as my biggest achievement in this life time, as it affects my life from so many aspects. And I am hoping that it eventually lifting my reproductive organs free as well so that I can have a normal pregnancy just as other women do in this forum.
Good luck to you and don't give up hope searching for a cure. YOU CAN FIX THE PROBLEM!
Sorry. It should be DRS, not DRX. I still have numbness in the lower back areas of my legs, not numbness in my lower back. Good luck to you.