Maternal & Child Community
Lower right side back pain and 12 weeks pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello.  I am 12 weeks pregnant and I have been having mid-lower back pain on my right side.  Today I was walking and it was a sharp shooting pain that stopped me in my tracks.  I'm not sure what exactly a sciatic nerve is and were it is located but I was wondering if someelse has had this and what can I do to get rid of it?  I just bought a new matteress that's being delivered today.  I'm desperate and I'll try anything.  Thank you for your response.
Hi there - I had the same type of pain with my son that actually started shooting up my arm as well and I think the dr said I had pregnancy induced carpal tunnel syndrome.  As for my back pain I actually found that massages helped :)  They say to wait until the start of your second trimester but I would say to splurge and try one.
I would also talk to your doctor about the pain just to rule out anything serious.
It is probably sciatic nerve pain. I have it with every pregnancy and there is really nothing that can be done for it. I have gone to physical therapy a few times and they massage it but it doesn't really help. It goes away when you have your baby.

It can paralize you sometimes it is so bad. There were times that I was stuck on the toilet for over an hour because it locked up. It is aweful, but usually comes and goes throughout the pregnancy.
hey there,  I am 11 weeks and I have been having back pain for the last 3 days too.  Mine is not sharp, very dull exactly like light AF cramping, but it has been there most of the time.  I hope this is just normal stretching, etc., but I might call the doctor tomorrow to be on the safe side.  

I had pretty bad AF like cramps in my back off and on until 8 weeks, which I was told was totally normal by the doctor and they competely went away.  Guess I am just worried because they are back.  I am wondering if the cramping that people feel in thier stomach during stretching is similar to my back, as I have never had stomach cramps during AF, always only felt it in my back?
YOU COULD HAVE A RIB OR HIP OUT- I GO TO THE CHIROPRACTOR -SOMETIMES IM STIFF AND HE CANT GET THE ONES I NEED UP NEAR MY SHOULDERS BUT HE IS ALWAYS ABLE TO GET MY HIPS AND IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.
EVEN IF THIS ISNT THE CAUSE OF YOUR AILMENT I WOULD CHECK IT OUT- PREGNANCY PUTS ALOT OF STRAIN ON THE BODY AND BONES SHIFT EASILY.
It is your sciatic nerve. When you lay down lay on your side. Have somebody massage your side that hurts. When you're watching TV or reading a book don't sit directly on your butt, shift your weight a little. When you're driving for a long period of time take frequent breaks and walk it off. I had sciatic nerve pain for almost my entire pregnancy 2 years ago, I also have a long commute for work and my pain does come back only when driving. I am 6 wks pregnant now and the pain is back. This time it feels as if it is worse, you can take some tylenol and keep moving is the only thing really to do.
Sorry this is a late response, but I don't get a chance to read the board very often.

Anyhow, I've been having a similar problem.  The pain gets so bad that I can't straighten up sometimes.  

I found that gently stretching my hamstrings (back of thigh) seem to help a lot.  After researching this on the web, I also found a lot of sites said to really be careful with your posture.  There are some back exercises also that you can do once you clear them with your doctor.
i don't know if anyone still reads this but i am about 9 weeks pregnant and the right side of my back all the way up to my neck hurts extremely bad. To the point where i can't even lay on my side. I was wondering if this is normal or if i should have it checked out.